Visas for Mediterranean cruise

ozcruizer

Can anyone please tell me whether visas for Turkey and Tunisia specifically are available onboard ship? I have just phoned the Tunisian Consulate in Sydney which tells me this is the case. I have downloaded a PDF from the HAL site which says nothing to this effect, although it does say this can be done for such countries as Indonesia and Vietnam. We obtained visas onboard for those countries when we cruised there in 2012, so I know that much is correct. But Turkey and Tunisia I am not sure about. Can anyone clarify this?

Thanks,

Ozcruizer

I can't help you with Tunisia but the rules for Australians entering Turkey have changed recently. There was an item in the newspapers earlier this month, for example see http://www.news.com.au/national/new-visa-rules-hit-anzac-day-pilgrims-to-gallipoli/story-fncynjr2-1226816158232

In case you can't read the link, I'll quote the relevant part for you:

Australians travelling to Turkey currently buy multiple entry "sticker" or "stamp" visas from the airports, ports or border crossing for $USD60 at the time of their arrival in Turkey.

But DFAT now says that has changed.

"Australians visiting Turkey for tourism or business purposes, including for Anzac Day, will no longer be able to apply for a visa on arrival at airports and seaports from April 10, 2014," DFAT tells travellers.

"Failure to do so is likely to result in refusal of entry."

The Turkish Embassy in Canberra confirmed the changes and that the USD$60 cost remained.

It insisted the change was not related to any diplomatic issue but rather a desire to have more Australians use its new electronic e-visa website, though people can still apply through the Turkish consulate in Sydney or Melbourne for the higher price of AUD $115.

"Easing visa requirements for both Turkish and Australian citizens is a topic which is being discussed during talks between our government officials," a spokesman said.

The Smart Traveller website (http://smarttraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Turkey) gives a link to the Turkish government website to gain an electronic visa at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Michelle.

Edited by MissShelllly

I have more information from the FAQ page of the e-visa web site (https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/info/). It says: "You don’t need e-Visa, if you will not leave the ship.

You don’t need e-visa, if you only tour in the respective port city of Turkey (You will be given a permission by local border police authorities to enter Turkey).

You need e-Visa, if you want to tour beyond the respective port city of Turkey."

I read this as saying if you are staying on board or in the port, you don't need an e-visa. But you will need one if you go outside the port city.

Our October cruise sees us stop at 2 Turkish ports. I know that for one of these ports we'll be leaving the port city, so we'll be applying for a multiple entry visa.

Michelle.

Edited by MissShelllly

I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam last year which included an overnight in Istanbul and a visit to Kusadasi and visas weren't required for Aussies as we weren't finishing the cruise there.

I read somewhere that after April this year it will still be the same for cruise passengers as you will not be staying ashore so you can go further afield than the port city as you will be still be departing on the same ship you arrived on earlier in the day, for example, as in the past, visiting Ephesus from Kusadasi isn't a problem.

I will be on the Noordam in September this year visiting Turkey and Tunisia and until I hear otherwise I will not be getting visas for either country as I will be relying on HAL, as in the past.

I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam last year which included an overnight in Istanbul and a visit to Kusadasi and visas weren't required for Aussies as we weren't finishing the cruise there.

I read somewhere that after April this year it will still be the same for cruise passengers as you will not be staying ashore so you can go further afield than the port city as you will be still be departing on the same ship you arrived on earlier in the day, for example, as in the past, visiting Ephesus from Kusadasi isn't a problem.

I will be on the Noordam in September this year visiting Turkey and Tunisia and until I hear otherwise I will not be getting visas for either country as I will be relying on HAL, as in the past.

The FAQ from the Turkish government contradicts what you've said, and I'd trust that more than a vague recollection of what you've read. I want to go ashore and I want to leave the port, so I shall be getting an e-visa.

Michelle.

I found my source: FAQs for foreign visitors on the Republic of Turkey's Ministry of Foreign Affairs web page:

"Question: I am taking a Mediterranean boat cruise with my family. Our ship will also visit Kuşadası. Do we need visas to enter Turkey?

Answer: Foreigners who are travelling to Turkey by cruises are allowed to enter Turkey without visa for a maximum period of 72 hours, with the permission given by the local security authorities."

This is on the main page FAQs for foreign visitors, not the e-visas FAQs.

The FAQ from the Turkish government contradicts what you've said, and I'd trust that more than a vague recollection of what you've read. I want to go ashore and I want to leave the port, so I shall be getting an e-visa.

Michelle.

Hi Michelle - nice to see you here:)

We are going to Turkey as well and I had researched the visas. I found the same information - no visa required if you are on a cruise ship and staying less than 72 hours.

Along with the HAL website - if you go here http://www.mfa.gov.tr/frequently-asked-questions.en.mfa

You will see this frequently asked question

- Question: I am taking a Mediterranean boat cruise with my family. Our ship will also visit Kuşadası. Do we need visas to enter Turkey?

Answer: Foreigners who are travelling to Turkey by cruises are allowed to enter Turkey without visa for a maximum period of 72 hours, with the permission given by the local security authorities.

this is from the Turkish Government website :D

We are on the Prinsendam visiting Turkish ports as follows

Arrive Istanbul 5.00PM on the 9th of October and depart at 5.00PM on the 11th

Then later arrive Cesme 8.00AM on the 19th and depart at 11.00PM

Followed by Kusadasi (Ephesus) on the 20th at 7.00AM and depart at 5.00PM

So what do you think (no visa required)

We are on the Prinsendam visiting Turkish ports as follows

Arrive Istanbul 5.00PM on the 9th of October and depart at 5.00PM on the 11th

Then later arrive Cesme 8.00AM on the 19th and depart at 11.00PM

Followed by Kusadasi (Ephesus) on the 20th at 7.00AM and depart at 5.00PM

So what do you think (no visa required)

as per my post above, ( post #7) no visa is required. We are on the same cruise :)

Edited by kazu

Thanks to both of you for posting the FAQ information. That's the only page on that site that mentions the word "cruise" according to their search function and I'd feel more comfortable if it was mentioned somewhere else as well. It's the weekend in Australia so I can't ring the Turkish consulate in Australia, so I'll ring in a couple of days and post what I'm told.

Michelle.

Thanks to both of you for posting the FAQ information. That's the only page on that site that mentions the word "cruise" according to their search function and I'd feel more comfortable if it was mentioned somewhere else as well. It's the weekend in Australia so I can't ring the Turkish consulate in Australia, so I'll ring in a couple of days and post what I'm told.

Michelle.

good luck Michelle - I hope you get satisfied in whatever you do. My FAQ was from the Turkish consulate website for visas - not from HAL. I also emailed them. I am a planner as you may remember - so we are happy campers - hopefully you will be too:D

good luck Michelle - I hope you get satisfied in whatever you do. My FAQ was from the Turkish consulate website for visas - not from HAL. I also emailed them. I am a planner as you may remember - so we are happy campers - hopefully you will be too:D

Yet the same site says this in another part:

You don’t need e-Visa, if you will not leave the ship.

You don’t need e-visa, if you only tour in the respective port city of Turkey (You will be given a permission by local border police authorities to enter Turkey).

You need e-Visa, if you want to tour beyond the respective port city of Turkey.

Here is the link: https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/info/

Does going to Ephesus constitute touring beyond the port city?

I've also rung my TA who said she would phone HAL to find out but I haven't heard back yet. Depending on the response, I will then look further into the Tunisian visa. All very confusing.

Ozcruizer

Yet the same site says this in another part:

You don’t need e-Visa, if you will not leave the ship.

You need e-Visa, if you want to tour beyond the respective port city of Turkey.

Here is the link: https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/info/

I've also rung my TA who said she would phone HAL to find out but I haven't heard back yet. Depending on the response, I will then look further into the Tunisian visa. All very confusing.

Ozcruizer

Now, I am not Australian so I have to tread lightly, but I believe we are all under the same rules.

My post came from the frequently asked questions on the Turkish Government website. Like all websites, they are elusive - but the cruise questions satisfied me, along with the posts on the ports boards who all reported not needing a visa.

A big clue for me is always the HAL itinerary. When a visa may even be required it is indicated in the itinerary (VI is the symbol I believe).

With that not there, what I found on the Turkish consulate website along with HAL faqs - I am at ease. Your TA will most likely tell you what is on the HAL site.

Keep in mind that visas in some countries are for those arriving in and staying a day or two. I do know that if we had had an airline connection and overnighted in Istanbul then a visa would have been required - the cruise ship not (yes, I did check with the consulate).

Ozcruizer

Aussies who arrive by plane into Turkey, or start or finish a cruise in Turkey (and will then being staying on land) have required a visa for some years. In the past you have been able to buy them at the border but from April you will be required to organise a visa beforehand.

Cruise passengers though have always been treated differently.

I have visited Turkey on 4 previous cruises (and again on an upcoming cruise later this year) and I have never required a visa because although I have gone ashore during the day (including visiting Ephesus on 3 of those cruises) I have entered and left Turkey on the same ship at the end of the day (or the next day when the NA overnighted in Istanbul last year).

So, rather a long reply, but you will not have any problems visiting Ephesus without a visa as the current and post April requirements stand.

Our cruise will end in Istanbul after an overnight there. We will then be going to the airport to fly home to Canada. Do we need a visa?

My understanding was that you would not need a visa if you were flying out the same day. If you stayed overnight in Istanbul awaiting a flight you would (ie. hotel or at airport) (overnight on the ship doesn't count).

You might want to double check though ;)

My understanding was that you would not need a visa if you were flying out the same day. If you stayed overnight in Istanbul awaiting a flight you would (ie. hotel or at airport) (overnight on the ship doesn't count).

You might want to double check though ;)

We stayed overnight, actually two overnights, in an Istanbul hotel and had to have a visa. There were passengers who left the ship directly for the airport and they didn't get a visa. Now this was two years ago and the ship arranged the visa, for a charge, for us so things may have changed.

Yes, thank you - that was referred to earlier in this thread and doubted.

It's good for me though and the same thing is on the Turkey website. I know you two are very experienced travellers - so this is very appreciated. thank you:D

I've spoken to the Turkish Embassy in Australia. If the total time in Turkey exceeds 72 hours, you need to get an e-visa.

On my cruise in October, the total time the ship is due to be in Turkey is 74 hours, spread over 4 days. I haven't been to Turkey before, and I have no wish to end up in a Turkish jail . I'll have to decide whether it is safer to get an e-visa or decide not to leave the ship for more than 72 hours. I have to admit that I am nervous about a local authority expecting to see a visa.

Apologies for doubting people about the need for a visa. I don't like breaking rules. Especially in countries whose jails aren't comfortable!

Michelle.

I've spoken to the Turkish Embassy in Australia. If the total time in Turkey exceeds 72 hours, you need to get an e-visa.

On my cruise in October, the total time the ship is due to be in Turkey is 74 hours, spread over 4 days. I haven't been to Turkey before, and I have no wish to end up in a Turkish jail . I'll have to decide whether it is safer to get an e-visa or decide not to leave the ship for more than 72 hours. I have to admit that I am nervous about a local authority expecting to see a visa.

Apologies for doubting people about the need for a visa. I don't like breaking rules. Especially in countries whose jails aren't comfortable!

Michelle.

Michelle,

no worries at all, the more info the better - so I am assuming (but we know that is dangerous) that it is 74 hours in a row?

When I asked I was told that it was 72 hours in one port - which we will not be - now, granted we are not Australian, but the rules for Australians and Canadians seem to be the same for this port. But, we will be in several ports in Turkey.

hey if your research makes you feel that you need it - better to be safe than sorry. :D

Michelle,

no worries at all, the more info the better - so I am assuming (but we know that is dangerous) that it is 74 hours in a row?

When I asked I was told that it was 72 hours in one port - which we will not be - now, granted we are not Australian, but the rules for Australians and Canadians seem to be the same for this port. But, we will be in several ports in Turkey.

hey if your research makes you feel that you need it - better to be safe than sorry. :D

oops to late to edit I went back and realized you said 4 days in a row - apologies :o

I will do some double checking on my end as I was told it was port time each stop.

thanks - it's always good to double (and sometimes) triple check.

Michelle.

I'm not sure which cruise you are on but I was in exactly the same position on my NA cruise last year. We had an overnight in Istanbul, a day in Lesbos (Greece) and then a further day in Kusadasi, making 74 hours from when we first arrived in Turkey until we left it. Because we visited Greece for the day between Istanbul and Kusadasi, it was not counted as 74 hours total.

There was a huge contingent of Aussies on board and none of us had any issues at all by not having the visa. I don't think I even took my passport ashore.

A couple I know got their visa but never had to use it so, although unnecessary, if it gives you peace of mind and negates your worries, then go ahead and arrange for the e-visa.

I'm not sure which cruise you are on but I was in exactly the same position on my NA cruise last year. We had an overnight in Istanbul, a day in Lesbos (Greece) and then a further day in Kusadasi, making 74 hours from when we first arrived in Turkey until we left it. Because we visited Greece for the day between Istanbul and Kusadasi, it was not counted as 74 hours total.

There was a huge contingent of Aussies on board and none of us had any issues at all by not having the visa. I don't think I even took my passport ashore.

A couple I know got their visa but never had to use it so, although unnecessary, if it gives you peace of mind and negates your worries, then go ahead and arrange for the e-visa.

While reading your post I realised I had made a mistake. Our cruise has the same itinerary as yours, and we aren't in Turkey 72 hours in total, even though 74 hours elapses between when we first arrive in Turkey and when we leave. Whew, what a relief! We don't need to spend money on the visas after all. Thanks for your help in getting my head straight on this.

Michelle.