Is Carnival Training Employees right?

ToAdam12

Agenda, much?

Ditto the others who have said that no matter how much training one has, you never know how they will react in the actual situation. This is true for ANY profession.

I hope u have the same reaction to something else like pilot error on a air plane. Or a bus driver who plows in to a parking garage killing people. All I am doing is trying to get you to think rationally rather than sticking your head in the sand and telling yourself that theses things can't happen. Also I do not hold any grudge against carnival I just did a 7 day on the Conquest and loved every second of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you think cruise ships aren't safe, and crew aren't properly trained, don't sail. The rest of us will enjoy our cruises and take our risks.

I think there safe to a point. But is it so wrong for people to think that maybe this could happen and to question training of people that are there to help keep us safe.

I think there safe to a point. But is it so wrong for people to think that maybe this could happen and to question training of people that are there to help keep us safe.

No one is saying it can't happen. I have no problem questioning training, but I don't see how one incident - which was minor and contained quickly even if we agree the first person didn't act correctly - is evidence of lack of training. And there have been several other incidents - all contained and no injuries. These incidents are inevitable and so far have been handled. To me, that indicates more of success in training than lack of training.

Your example of the airplane or bus does not compare to this situation. The fires were not caused by employee error. And their actions contained it. There are near misses in those all the time, most we never know about (just like you pointed out about cruising).

Fist thing my brother works on a cruise ship right now and he is at sea. Everyone on board has to take a fire safety training on a regular basis. I understand human nature and not every e has nerves of steel. But really these people are charged with keeping everyone and I mean everyone on board safe. There is so much that goes unreported about cruise ships. You wanna say I'm siring the pot then so be it. I bring things like this up to high light the lack of training that the crew has. I don't think it's a carnival problem only. I am posting this in the carnival form because it involved a carnival ship. Would you prefer I talk about the fire that happened aboard the Valor last week and how the fire prevention system sorta worked I say sorta because the fire spread to another cabin b4 it was complete put out. So maybe that crew member panicked maybe next time someone panic and the ship has to be abandoned. Lastly think about this would you be saying the same thing if an air plan crashes due to the pilot not responding correctly to a fire or an indecent on board. The idea that it's just human nature and not everyone is this and that is just an excuse people give to justify there believe that this is no big deal and I am siring the pot. If you really think about it public safety on a cruise ship is number one.

I cannot see a positive reason to post it here. Anyone who sails on a cruise ship knows that the number one cause for concern is fire. You here it during the muster drill on every single sailing. Posting video of something that happened 2+ years ago that was arguably handled correctly other than an employee who came across the scene before trained fire estiguishing crew came and put the fire out does not serve any positive purpose.

I think all crews (not just Carnival), do a remarkable job in all aspects of their job including safety which is number 1 on the list. At times they put their lives on the line to protect the cruisers, themselves and the ship. Unless I knew all the facts, I would never assume to know what was or was not the right to do in any situation. I trust that the crusielines do. I'm not making excuses or casting blame, I was not there. I don't know all the facts. Trust me, all incidents are reviewed (by the cruiselines) and that is where corrective action takes place, not from posts on cruisecritic (and that includes the Concordia or the mythical airline pilot analogy). How do you know what gets reported or not? It's easy to throw stones. Just my opinion. I will move on now.

Fist thing my brother works on a cruise ship right now and he is at sea. Everyone on board has to take a fire safety training on a regular basis.

If you really think about it public safety on a cruise ship is number one.

I'm pretty sure this is standard operating procedure in the entire cruise industry. I don't question the training of the Carnival crew or the crew of any cruise line for that matter and I feel safe on all cruise ships.

No one is saying it can't happen. I have no problem questioning training, but I don't see how one incident - which was minor and contained quickly even if we agree the first person didn't act correctly - is evidence of lack of training. And there have been several other incidents - all contained and no injuries. These incidents are inevitable and so far have been handled. To me, that indicates more of success in training than lack of training.

Your example of the airplane or bus does not compare to this situation. The fires were not caused by employee error. And their actions contained it. There are near misses in those all the time, most we never know about (just like you pointed out about cruising).

My larger point is how one person not reacting accordingly could cause a larger issue. This was a near miss but it could have been much worse. I posed this to you in the what if scenario. I am not playing the result I am taking the actuation of one person and highlighting how one person can possibly cause a larger incident.

I cannot see a positive reason to post it here. Anyone who sails on a cruise ship knows that the number one cause for concern is fire. You here it during the muster drill on every single sailing. Posting video of something that happened 2+ years ago that was arguably handled correctly other than an employee who came across the scene before trained fire estiguishing crew came and put the fire out does not serve any positive purpose.

I think all crews (not just Carnival), do a remarkable job in all aspects of their job including safety which is number 1 on the list. At times they put their lives on the line to protect the cruisers, themselves and the ship. Unless I knew all the facts, I would never assume to know what was or was not the right to do in any situation. I trust that the crusielines do. I'm not making excuses or casting blame, I was not there. I don't know all the facts. Trust me, all incidents are reviewed (by the cruiselines) and that is where corrective action takes place, not from posts on cruisecritic (and that includes the Concordia or the mythical airline pilot analogy). How do you know what gets reported or not? It's easy to throw stones. Just my opinion. I will move on now.

There was no mythical air line pilot it was a value jet crash.

I'm pretty sure this is standard operating procedure in the entire cruise industry. I don't question the training of the Carnival crew or the crew of any cruise line for that matter and I feel safe on all cruise ships.

So it's standard procedure that you splash water on an electrical fire then try to rip the tv off the wall. Would you like other cases of crew not being trained correctly. I have read many different incidences where crewmembers react incorrectly to situations and then problems arise.

My larger point is how one person not reacting accordingly could cause a larger issue. This was a near miss but it could have been much worse. I posed this to you in the what if scenario. I am not playing the result I am taking the actuation of one person and highlighting how one person can possibly cause a larger incident.

And we all know that. I know that when I go into the operating room as a patient. I know that when I board an airplane or a bus. I know that when I get on a cruise ship.

I'm not sure why you asked. You seem to have your mind made up that they are lacking in training and aren't really interested in other opinions.

I disagree.

And we all know that. I know that when I go into the operating room as a patient. I know that when I board an airplane or a bus. I know that when I get on a cruise ship.

I'm not sure why you asked. You seem to have your mind made up that they are lacking in training and aren't really interested in other opinions.

I disagree.

I am fine with other opinions and I have said repeatedly that I do not believe that all crew members are lacking in training. But I continue to point out how one person can make a difference and how that one person who is not trained right can effect everyone. Even those who are trained correctly.

I disagree.

But would you agree that the first crew member was not trained correctly. Now the video does show two crew member who are clearly trained correctly and are acting how one should act when lives are on the line. But if one person is not trained right that just makes me ask how many crew members are not trained correctly and what if those just happen to be the people that are first or second responders.

You are 100% correct not everyone can deal with situations accordingly but in this situation the crewmember splashed water on an electrical fire which could have caused the fire to spread more than it did it. They were lucky that the that two other crewmembers were there to put out the fire. I'm not stirring the pot I am bringing up the point that training is lacking in fire safety. All crewmembers are responsible for the safety of passengers while at sea. One crewmember who does not act correctly. Can cause a horrific accident. Case in point costa concordia one crewmember messed up granted it was the captain but still one crewmember can make a world of difference

throwing water on an electrical fire does not cause it to spread. The reason not to do it is because it doesn't work and you can be electricuted.

throwing water on an electrical fire does not cause it to spread. The reason not to do it is because it doesn't work and you can be electricuted.

In truth I knew but I got a bit worked up.

I am fine with other opinions and I have said repeatedly that I do not believe that all crew members are lacking in training. But I continue to point out how one person can make a difference and how that one person who is not trained right can effect everyone. Even those who are trained correctly.

During the video, that one crew member you keep mentioning was followed within seconds by the other two.

My husband was on Navy ships for 20 years. Each person is trained in fire fighting, but that doesn't mean things go according to training.

So yes, things can happen very quickly, but I do believe the crew does a remarkable job keeping everyone safe ... case in point: that video, fire stopped & out.

I don't get it. What larger issue??

The only danger was the one who threw water on electricty, DA!

From the time the first person came into view until the fire was out was 30 seconds.

Wow! The video could be viewed a lot of ways. But I believe it was Handled with the utmost care. Maintain scene safety, extinguish fire.

What you did not see was The crew evacuated guest from the area after the water intrusion. Area was empty and Salt water shorted the tv. A passing crew member saw the fire and yelled to other crew. Being trained properly he assumed the lead onscene command for a incipient fire while others grabbed the extinguisher. So he tried to collect water and dislodge tv from wall but fire was to big. Fire team then showed up and put fire out.

I believe that is how I was trained in marine firefighting. I work for an US oil company and in the Marine world safety is the utmost important concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is what I gathered to. I don't think it was any bad training. It appeared that perhaps the three of them saw the fire, one stayed to contain the situation, and the other two went to get an extinguisher. He tried to work with what he had in front of him, and realized it wasn't going to work, luckily the other two were back with the proper equipment.

OP, There is a lot you likely didn't see off camera. You are assuming the worst, when I would be willing to bet, it was quite the opposite.

In truth I knew but I got a bit worked up.

You panicked (got worked up) and made a mistake so you could cause someone's death because you panic and cannot think straight. Your panic(worked up) shows how you might have done the same thing.

Here you do the same thing as the crew man. At least the person throwing water on it was trying to put out the fire. Tell me how you know when he was putting water on the tv that the electricity was still on.

But would you agree that the first crew member was not trained correctly. Now the video does show two crew member who are clearly trained correctly and are acting how one should act when lives are on the line. But if one person is not trained right that just makes me ask how many crew members are not trained correctly and what if those just happen to be the people that are first or second responders.

No I wouldn't agree.

You are making a huge leap in assuming the first person didn't act properly due to lack of training. As I and others have pointed out - it is not uncommon for people to fail to act correctly in stressful situations even when trained properly. It happens All. The. Time.

And as someone pointed out - his improper action was more of a danger to himself than everyone else.

You can what if any situation to death. The fact is that it was taken care of. *I believe* it was because of proper training. There are also other fail safes in place.

That is a very broad statement to make when you have no idea whether the first person had proper training or not. As pointed out by myself and others, having the proper training does not mean you won't panic at an emergency and react incorrectly.

You keep wanting folks to agree with you and no one has. You are making huge assumptions about a years old video. Unless you were there and questioned the first cremember who reacted you have no idea of what their training was or is. This is starting to be like beating a dead horse!

2011 yes but there was an electrical fire aboard the magic about a month ago. Multiple ppl on board reported water in the hall ways. The Valor a week ago fire in a cabin which disabled two cabins. The Triumph I can keep going on. Fire is no joke no matter when it is.

I don't even think that this is a joke. My husband was aboard an aircraft that lost 144 men due to a fire. I recently did the transatlantic cruise on the sunshine when at 4:30 am the fire alarm went off. And I pressed the crew to see what was going on. So I don't take this lightly. I was the only one that dressed to talk to the crew, that's how serious I took it.

Multiple people reported raw sewage running down the walls on the Triumph too. But with all the pictures people took on the ship no one had a picture of that. Just because "lots of people" report something just doesn't make it true.

Good thing the lights were out.

So why post on an internet forum where no one here can do anything about it?

Why not send a letter to Carnival or news?

Andy

Did THAT guy do exactly as he should?

No.

Does that mean cruise lines (or Carnival) are not training Employees right?

That is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge leap. A Snake River leap. :rolleyes:

And how helpful are "what ifs", really? What if a bartender tried to help by throwing a bottle of vodka at the wall!!!!!! :eek:

I'd like to know where you got that video. Is that from the cam that is in that room? Are you a crew member that got his hands on the video and posted it on youtube? Did a crew member give it to you?

It doesn't look like a video from a passenger's camera because it wasn't wavering about at all.