Two Carriers NOT on Same PNR--Opinions On This One?

ducklite

My husband and I have an interesting opportunity later this year, but it's one of those "you can't get there from here" situations.

We will be visiting both Paris and Krakow, Poland in the same trip.

The plan is to fly on Air France PE to get to Paris. The routing would be DL for the domestic MCO to ATL or JFK portion, then in to AF From the gateway to CDG. We will spend a few days in Paris, then fly either LF or LOT CDG to KRK connecting either through MUN or WAW depending in the carrier we choose. That part is easy and not in question--although I do question the 45 minute connection in ATL if we choose that itinerary, which is highly unlikely.

The return is where I question.

We would take an early am flight (around 6:30) out of KRK connecting either through FRA or WAW, again depending on the carrier, arriving CDG around 10:30 am. Our AF flight is scheduled at 1:30-ish, and if I recall we go through ATL with a couple hours to connect (we have GOES) so no worries there.

Bottom line, is that three hours enough of a window at CDG to make the AF flight? Keep in mind that we will have to claim bags and will need to check at least one if them, as we plan in shopping the Christmas Markets while in KRK. Would love opinions both on time frames as well as whether you would suggest LOT or LF (time frames are within a few minutes of each other) and why.

Thanks!

PS--We really want to use Air France for a number of reasons, so unless someone can find me PE on another carrier for a similar price that makes sense, we're sticking with the AF part of the plan.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

The title and body of your post implies this will be on 2 separate tickets with the "break" at CDG in both directions? I'm sure you've done your homework but I don't see why this requires 2 tickets...you may need to call the airline vs. booking online but it should be doable.

The risk with 2 tickets is missing the connection. For example if the homeward flight from KRK ends up late into CDG and you miss the CDG-ATL flight you will be considered a no-show. Your CDG-ATL and ATL-home flights will be cancelled and you will have to purchase very expensive tickets at the "last minute/ walk-up" fare. I would allow a lot more time to mitigate that risk or book everything on one ticket (in case of a missed connection you will be rebooked, and in any case will not have to transfer luggage yourself).

The title and body of your post implies this will be on 2 separate tickets with the "break" at CDG in both directions? I'm sure you've done your homework but I don't see why this requires 2 tickets...you may need to call the airline vs. booking online but it should be doable.

The risk with 2 tickets is missing the connection. For example if the homeward flight from KRK ends up late into CDG and you miss the CDG-ATL flight you will be considered a no-show. Your CDG-ATL and ATL-home flights will be cancelled and you will have to purchase very expensive tickets at the "last minute/ walk-up" fare. I would allow a lot more time to mitigate that risk or book everything on one ticket (in case of a missed connection you will be rebooked, and in any case will not have to transfer luggage yourself).

There are two tickets involved. One one DL and AF to get us to and from Europe, the other to get from Paris to Krakow then back to Paris on a different carrier.

Air France doesn't service Krakow, nor do any of their alliance members.

The missed connection on the return in CDG is my concern. I think I'm going to see if this is covered under travel insurance--and for how much.

Edited by ducklite

There are two tickets involved. One one DL and AF to get us to and from Europe, the other to get from Paris to Krakow then back to Paris on a different carrier.

Air France doesn't service Krakow, nor do any of their alliance members.

The missed connection on the return in CDG is my concern. I think I'm going to see if this is covered under travel insurance--and for how much.

Air France and the airline you use to Krakow do not have to be in the same alliance to be ticketed together, they simply need to have an internline agreement with each other. Most major international airlines interline with each other including interlining with airlines outside of their alliances.

I am almost sure from the time I worked for KLM in Amsterdam that LOT, Delta and Air France have an interline agreement. Just show your other flight number at check-in and the agent can label through your baggage. Most airlines even issue boarding passes for each other's flights. I would not like to fly on 2 seperate tickets, and I do not see the need for it either.

Is there a very special reason you need to fly through CDG or with AF? If it has to be SkyTeam Alliance because of points or award tickets, Aliatalia and Aeroflot fly to KRK too.

Air France and the airline you use to Krakow do not have to be in the same alliance to be ticketed together, they simply need to have an internline agreement with each other. Most major international airlines interline with each other including interlining with airlines outside of their alliances.

I realize this, however I have not been able to find this combination. If anyone is aware of one, please speak up. :)

I am almost sure from the time I worked for KLM in Amsterdam that LOT, Delta and Air France have an interline agreement. Just show your other flight number at check-in and the agent can label through your baggage. Most airlines even issue boarding passes for each other's flights. I would not like to fly on 2 seperate tickets, and I do not see the need for it either.

Is there a very special reason you need to fly through CDG or with AF? If it has to be SkyTeam Alliance because of points or award tickets, Aliatalia and Aeroflot fly to KRK too.

We will be on Air France several times in the next two years and I want the miles.

You couldn't pay me to fly in Aeroflot, not to mention we'd have to connect through Moscow--a deal breaker for my husband.

If LOT inter lines with AF, that would be a good solution.

I'm sure you've already checked ITA and saw the permutations. You could get partial mileage on the connecting flights that use AF or OK. I've flown OK TATL and it was just fine (even handled a YUL catering strike well).

Any chance you can build in a day in Paris? If things go sideways, you have more time to get there. If things go well, you can have a nice dinner in Paris ;)

I'm not totally sure 3 hours would cut it for me. See how much of a terminal change you'll have between where you'll likely land to T2E/F (where the AF & DL flights depart).

You're well-travelled, so you know the risks & rewards of nested tickets. I hope you find an acceptable solution.