Crops

Hockeylovinmom

Capris, pedal pushers, high-waters—whatever you want to call them, pants that hit above the ankle tend to shorten your frame, which is why petites struggle with the look.

But women of any height can wear them by focusing on creating the longest line possible: Stick to plain, straight-leg versions, à la Jackie O., free of cuffs, bulky pockets, and other bells and whistles.

Add height with wedges or slingback heels, or try flats with elongating pointy toes. (If you prefer open-toes, keep your pedicure neutral.)

Make sure your blouse falls below the waist, and add a blazer or belt in similar tones—short, boxy shirts and contrasting colors interrupt your silhouette.

I personally, would not consider this look dressy AT ALL. Very casual..IMO

Edited by champagne123
SSS

Capris, pedal pushers, high-waters—whatever you want to call them, pants that hit above the ankle tend to shorten your frame, which is why petites struggle with the look.

But women of any height can wear them by focusing on creating the longest line possible: Stick to plain, straight-leg versions, à la Jackie O., free of cuffs, bulky pockets, and other bells and whistles.

Add height with wedges or slingback heels, or try flats with elongating pointy toes. (If you prefer open-toes, keep your pedicure neutral.)

Make sure your blouse falls below the waist, and add a blazer or belt in similar tones—short, boxy shirts and contrasting colors interrupt your silhouette.

I personally, would not consider this look dressy AT ALL. Very casual..IMO

Wow, that pretty much says it. I do wear a petite size, although I am not the classic tiny person. I have short legs and a longer torso. I love the advice about wearing a longer blouse ( with belt). Thanks for the input. I'm not sure I will get these. I do well with capris and have worn them casually on many cruises. It's just that the "high waters" look so chic on the models. ( isn't that the way with everything)? I'm cruising trans-Atlantic and Med on a dressier cruise line and was uncertain if these were even still in style.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow, that pretty much says it. I do wear a petite size, although I am not the classic tiny person. I have short legs and a longer torso. I love the advice about wearing a longer blouse ( with belt). Thanks for the input. I'm not sure I will get these. I do well with capris and have worn them casually on many cruises. It's just that the "high waters" look so chic on the models. ( isn't that the way with everything)? I'm cruising trans-Atlantic and Med on a dressier cruise line and was uncertain if these were even still in style.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am sure you will look fabulous. I also agree with the other ladies, casual. Have a great cruise.:o

Champagne123 nailed it. Personally I think that unless you are taller with really long legs, you should avoid them. An ankle length pant would be a better choice for a casual pant.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

I'm 5'4" and wear them all Summer long. I've worn them on cruises for years. I don't feel chopped off at all. I love them and have them in every color and from lightweight cotton to denim. I wear them everywhere. I've worn them with sequined tops and jackets for cruise formal nights with no problem. I just love the look of them.:D

• 2 weeks later...

I loved cropped pants! Then again I'm tall with long legs so virtually anything that does not come in a "long" length is cropped on me, haha.

I agree with PP; they are for casual/business casual occasions and I think they can make you appear more put together and polished than shorts. If you want to wear a jean version, steer clear of distressed styles and go for a darker wash to help slim your leg line. The same goes for other styles -- black or darker colors will help elongate you. Caution: don't go too short! I know you're petite but I hate seeing people (even petite gals) wear crops that come just past the knee; they totally chop you off. Definitely look for a longer length, something just above the ankle.

I tend to live in capris in the summer as I have thunder thighs and finding a pair of good-fitting shorts is such a hassle! I pair them with everything from flip flops and a plain v-neck shirt to wedges and a dressy top. I think cropped pants are very versatile and you can create so many looks with them. Here's a few that might help you visualize what's "in":

A dressier version; I would wear something like this to work in the summer.

b0b629f176a4456e017f6a4dd33f2a09.jpg

Casual (minus the cuffs; as a PP stated, avoid cuffs)

471ff0e8e297aa598e20f4aec11b3d6a.jpg

Another casual option with a longer crop

c07570d64e5a90ba09a4fd4e2623b26e.jpg

I have been to Italy on land trips several times in April and will be there for the first half of April myself this year.

I don't know the ports you will be stopping at but the weather in April is very hit or miss. My mother was born near Venice and two years ago when I was there mid-April, we were burning wood in a woodstove for heat. I was dressed in jeans, cardigans, North Face fleece and closed toed shoes. This is not to say, that you may not have nice days, but crops and sandals may not happen.

Just be prepared, is all I am saying.

• 4 months later...
I loved cropped pants! Then again I'm tall with long legs so virtually anything that does not come in a "long" length is cropped on me, haha.

I agree with PP; they are for casual/business casual occasions and I think they can make you appear more put together and polished than shorts. If you want to wear a jean version, steer clear of distressed styles and go for a darker wash to help slim your leg line. The same goes for other styles -- black or darker colors will help elongate you. Caution: don't go too short! I know you're petite but I hate seeing people (even petite gals) wear crops that come just past the knee; they totally chop you off. Definitely look for a longer length, something just above the ankle.

I tend to live in capris in the summer as I have thunder thighs and finding a pair of good-fitting shorts is such a hassle! I pair them with everything from flip flops and a plain v-neck shirt to wedges and a dressy top. I think cropped pants are very versatile and you can create so many looks with them. Here's a few that might help you visualize what's "in":

A dressier version; I would wear something like this to work in the summer.

b0b629f176a4456e017f6a4dd33f2a09.jpg

Casual (minus the cuffs; as a PP stated, avoid cuffs)

471ff0e8e297aa598e20f4aec11b3d6a.jpg

Another casual option with a longer crop

c07570d64e5a90ba09a4fd4e2623b26e.jpg

Thanks for sharing the second outfit is exactly what I wear most of the time all year round here in sunny California.:D

Yes totally agree love the ankle grazer trousers and wear these myself here in London, also agree on ones that end just over knees they do shorten I'm 5'2 and petite and find this length is far better on me.

Very cute looks; I call those Capri pants, not crops, but whatever the term they look great on you. That length, just above the ankle works well for me at 5'3"; so does just below the knee--I have fairly slim legs.

I also like longer shorts. In all actuality more mid-length or even slightly shorter look best on me, proportion-wise, but at 69 I'm not fond of my knees/skin anymore.

What doesn't work is mid-calf--really cuts me off--or wider legs, pockets, anything bulky. It just looks frumpy, on me.

For summer I prefer a shorter length, otherwise I get hot, but other seasons the capris work great--even with boots in winter.