Is Junior Suite worth additional $$

What are the advantages and benefits of a junior suite? Is the additional dollars you would pay over a superior balcony worth the benefits? We are planning a B2B2B month plus and wonder if the additional space would be worth the extra dollars.

Thank you for your advice

PAH

We were upgraded to a JS from a regular balcony once. The extra floor space was great, so our next cruise we booked one. The extra room was great, ... but for the extra money it cost, I will not be doing that again.

There were only 2 of us in the room. Maybe if there were others staying with us we would consider it, but for the 2 of us, no.

Right now we have three cruises booked with Royal and on one of them we have a JS on a Serenade of the Seas booked because we will have two of our grandkids with us on it and its a 12 night cruise with an aft facing cabin. I also upgraded yesterday to a suite guarentee for a 13 night TA on the Liberty of the Seas because total cost for the two of us including insurance was an additional cost from a D2 was $880. So less than $70 per day. Worth it to me. We are already Diamond Plus and we will never see Pinnacle so the double points don't mean much to us.

We were upgraded to a JS from a regular balcony once. The extra floor space was great, so our next cruise we booked one. The extra room was great, ... but for the extra money it cost, I will not be doing that again.

There were only 2 of us in the room. Maybe if there were others staying with us we would consider it, but for the 2 of us, no.

I have to amend this statement. We are currently booked on the Grandeur for Oct. I did book a JS because it was only $100 pp more.

Normally I have found it to be a MUCH bigger difference in cost.

I think the question should be changed slightly: The real question should be, How much extra is a Junior Suite worth? We all know that on some sailings (probably off-season) the price difference is only $200 or so, whereas on other sailings it's almost double the cost of a standard balcony. For me personally, I'd pay $200 to move from a balcony to a Junior Suite (which isn't really a suite at all -- just a larger room), but no more.

- More room is nice, but far from essential.

- The larger balcony is good, but if you book early and choose an aft balcony, it's larger than a standard Junior Suite.

- The larger closet might matter to someone, but we tend to pack light.

- The bathroom and tub don't even register as a blip on my radar.

- I couldn't care less about extra points. The benefits of "moving up" in the rewards program aren't significant enough to matter to me.

I'm intrigued by the suggestion to book two connecting balconies instead of one Junior Suite. Again, I'd want to know the cost of each before I'd say yes or no, but it would mean more square footage . . . and since it'd be two rooms that can be separated, it would mean you'd have created a true suite -- not just a bigger room. One spouse could watch TV while the other napped or visited with a friend. Two bathrooms are nicer than one larger bathroom. Two closets are nicer than one larger closet. And the two balconies together would be nice. I don't think I'd do it personally, but if I were booking with three people, I'd absolutely rather have two connecting balconies than one Junior suite.

One thing that I don't think anyone said: You'd need to pay tips for two separate rooms. If you're seriously kicking this idea around, that should be included in your calculations.

Edited by MrsPete

...One thing that I don't think anyone said: You'd need to pay tips for two separate rooms. If you're seriously kicking this idea around, that should be included in your calculations.
I didn't include it in my calculations because tips are per person, not per room. Actually two balconies for one person each would have less suggested / auto tips than one JS (I think that's right; don't JS pay the higher suite tip rate?)

I didn't include it in my calculations because tips are per person, not per room. Actually two balconies for one person each would have less suggested / auto tips than one JS (I think that's right; don't JS pay the higher suite tip rate?)

JS pay the normal tip rate of $12pp/day. GS and higher pay the suite tip rate.

We've done the JS twice on shorter cruises when the JS gave you 2 cruises rather than 1 (before they used days!). Did that twice to get to Diamond and then all our kids were Diamond on the family cruise we did a little later (back to balconies though). Wife loves the tub rather than shower only in balconies, so did JS for Anniversary !!