Venice Query

OzAbroad

We are on the Istanbul to Venice Insignia cruise in July and intend staying some days after in Venice. The ship arrives on the 11th and disembarkation is on the 12th. I was toying with leaving on the 11th but much depends on the experience of Venice from port. We sailed out of Venice some years ago, also on Insignia, and she was docked in San Basilio which was quite convenient to wander Venice. What I was wondering was whether the smaller Oceania ships still use that port. If not we might just leave the ship the day earlier. Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Edited by OzAbroad

If you want to spend some time in Venice why not overnight in an excellent hotel room you have already paid for??

Whether in San Basilio or the main port you are close enough to walk to the people mover and get into Venice very easily. Hotels as good as Oceania are very expensive in Venice.

Thanks - I agree jo-b about the quality of Oceania accommodation and it would be a world first if I left a cruise a day early, but we are taking an apartment for 5 days and that cost is fixed. The idea of leaving the ship at liesure during the last day and vanishing into Venice and avoiding the next mornings hurly burly is appealing.

I haven't done this myself but several passengers I knew on the BCN-Rio cruise (departing Barcelona on 11/20) left the ship on the first day. I THINK most of them flew home that day rather than staying on in Rio. But others who'd done something similar on earlier cruises thought it was a better way to do it.

For those of us who stayed on board, we needed a full day's activities -- what to do with luggage? -- before we could go to the airport since flights to North America (at least) are late at night. (We solved that problem with a full day tour that took us to the airport, but we ended up getting there AWFULLY early for an 11pm flight.)

If you have an apartment for 5 days, why not? You certainly will avoid any departing crowds the next morning.

Mura

Thanks Mura - I am inclined to leave that day early. It looks like there are 5 or more cruise ships in port the last day and many seem to be ending cruises so avoiding that might be the best bet.

Edited by OzAbroad