Help a Princess newbie chose a ship?

tammymacb

Looking at a two week Hawaii itinerary. It seems that I can chose either the Star Princess or the Grand Princess.

I've never sailed Princess, but have sailed multiple cruises on Carnival, DCL, X, RCCL and NCL. It'll just be my husband and myself hoping to relax and enjoy Hawaii.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Looking at a two week Hawaii itinerary. It seems that I can chose either the Star Princess or the Grand Princess.

I've never sailed Princess, but have sailed multiple cruises on Carnival, DCL, X, RCCL and NCL. It'll just be my husband and myself hoping to relax and enjoy Hawaii.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

What do you like about the deck plans and activities on each? What MIGHT you not like about each one?

We've never been on the Star, but we did a TA on the Grand and she's a very nice ship. We've been on the other Grand class ships, but the Grand herself is different from the others. It was renovated recently and has Alfredo's, the pizzeria in the Atrium which is fantastic (if you like pizza, of course).

One thing that I really liked about it was the fact that one pool is covered, which is great when you like swimming or sitting out on deck during the sea days and the weather may not choose to accommodate you.

When we cruise, we like to arrive at the embarkation port a day or two early and explore, so that might make a difference for you too.

I've been on both ships and prefer the Star. That is because recently several people have had issues with the Grand like plumbing problems. The Grand was built in 1998 so it is pretty old even though it has been refurbished. We sailed on the Star last year and loved it.

They are much more similar than different. Both have a covered pool and neither has the extra deck and 500 extra passengers of the "Super Grand" ships. The Grand does have Alfredo's (a great place for lunch or a casual diner) but it does not have a central staircase above deck 7. If you like to use the stairs, it can be a little inconvenient. We were on the Grand for 49 days last year and thought it was in great shape. We had no problems with plumbing, elevators, etc. Wayne

For 15 day RT Hawaii I would ONLY choose the Star. The Hawaii experience starts at sail away with Elua, the Hawaiian couple who provide education & entertainment.

Was on the Golden with them 2012 & 2013= only time we ever repeated an itinerary!

very Memorable.

It all depends on when you are planning this cruise. If it is this season, then I would recommend the Star from LA. It currently has Elua (Hawaiian Cultural Ambassadors) and Dave Cole (Cruise Director until Mid March). Best possible combination of Hawaiiana immersion.

If you are considering the next season, all bets are off. Both the Grand (LA) and the Star (San Francisco) will not be doing exclusive 2 week runs from the coast. I do not know how this will impact the Hawaiian Cultural Program. In my opinion, this will be a major error on Princess' part. Elua and Dave Cole make the voyage memorable and exciting.

I did the Golden (Feb 2013) and the Star (Nov 2013). I loved the Golden. The Grand does have Window Suites. Make sure you book your car reservations when you book your cruise.

Would love to hear what your final decision is.

Displaced Local Girl