Victoria BC excursions

We are booked on the Miracle May 13 2014. Any suggestions on excursions in Victoria BC? Was interested in the double decker bus tour but it shows only 1 review and that is negative. We arrive in port at 7.30 pm and tour is at 7.45. Concerned it will be too dark and we won't see very much. Pls advise. Thank you.:)

we were on the miracle in july 2013. sounds like we had the same victoria port time as you have. arriving late and only in victoria for a few hours. we took the bus ($2.00 per person round trip) downtown and shopped around, looked at all the lights, buildings, had coffee. we had about 45 minutes of dusk before it got really dark but we still had a great time. beautiful and clean city. you'll have fun!!

We are booked on the Miracle May 13 2014. Any suggestions on excursions in Victoria BC? Was interested in the double decker bus tour but it shows only 1 review and that is negative. We arrive in port at 7.30 pm and tour is at 7.45. Concerned it will be too dark and we won't see very much. Pls advise. Thank you.:)

Sunset on that date will be about 8:45 and twilight thereafter. After dark many attractions like our legislative buildings and the Empress Hotel are illuminated with lights and are very attractive.

we were on the miracle in july 2013. sounds like we had the same victoria port time as you have. arriving late and only in victoria for a few hours. we took the bus ($2.00 per person round trip) downtown and shopped around, looked at all the lights, buildings, had coffee. we had about 45 minutes of dusk before it got really dark but we still had a great time. beautiful and clean city. you'll have fun!!

I live in Victoria, (not certain if that makes for a different perspective or not). However I would do the same thing, take the city bus into the inner harbor or walk down to the inner harbour and take a taxi or bus back to the ship when you are ready to head back. Most of the places you would want to look at are in walking distance. It makes for a pleasant walk even after dark.

If a cruise ship is in port, I am certain many of the tourist oriented shops will remain open.

Edited by em-sk

Another Victoria resident here.

If you like gardens, sign up for a Butchart's Garden tour (http://www.butchartgardens.com/) either through your ship or indepenently with some roll call friends. It is about 30-40 min from the cruiseport.(it may not be open in the evenings yet)

Downtown is about a 20 min walk through a pleasant area, here is a link with some info and the various routes you can take into town http://victoriacruise.ca/.

There are lots of shops restaurants and pubs on Government St, if you and your roll call is inclined it would be a nice thing to go on a pub crawl along the street http://www.tourismvictoria.com/. Nothing rowdy. Just a few destinations as you walk the street browsing in shops. Most of the pubs are indepenent, have an Old World feel and are nice to drink in.

If you and your roll call are interested in getting a group together and doing the stroll/pub crawl let me know and I will try to help you plan it out.

Cheers, h

We arrive in port at 7.30 pm and tour is at 7.45. Concerned it will be too dark ...

I'm more concerned that you will not make that tour. The ship arrives at 7:30 pm and then needs to be cleared by local authorities; this can take up to 30 minutes. Of course every passenger will want to get off. I would not book this tour so early; the timing is way too tight. I actually also wouldn't take this tour at all, no offense. Victoria is a very walkable city and the downtown area is wonderful. You could take a city tour but personally, I wouldn't. there just isn't enough time.

I thank everyone for the helpful responses/suggestions. I love cruise critics and it's members!! It is THE site to go to for any questions or comments concerning cruising. :)

We are a party of 10, thinking of a carriage tour (or 2 carriages) for around July 1 from the cruise ship. Are we able to walk to town to pick up a carriage reservation or do we need to take the shuttle bus that was mentioned in this post?

We are a party of 10, thinking of a carriage tour (or 2 carriages) for around July 1 from the cruise ship. Are we able to walk to town to pick up a carriage reservation or do we need to take the shuttle bus that was mentioned in this post?

The last time I enquired of the horse drawn carriage people, they would with a reservation and a surcharge, pick you up at the cruise terminal. Otherwise you can walk or take transit.

Last time I was in Victoria on a cruise there were horse drawn carriages at the dock looking for business! A reservation would be good as it would guarantee your carriage ride but I would not want to pay a surcharge for them to meet you at the dock... just insist on them doing that

I would personally recommend going whale watching if you have a day in Victoria. Depending on where the whales are hanging out (humpbacks or orcas usually), you could end up around the San Juan Islands or the Gulf Islands. Very beautiful scenery, lots of wildlife and photo opportunities.

• 2 weeks later...

When you got off or on the ship did you have to go through Canadian customs?

Thank you!

When you got off or on the ship did you have to go through Canadian customs?

Thank you!

Yes, but it is not a very rigorous thing. You will pass thru a line of 2, 3, or CBSA officers and just hold up a photo ID, passports are not required....the process takes seconds.

I will be in Victoria for the first time with my husband in early May for my 40th birthday. I love the idea of the gardens, but also like the idea of walking around town, and would love to take you up on your idea of places to stop on a makeshift pub tour!! We will be in port from 8AM- 6PM. So I have a couple of questions:

1)Is there a company you would recommend to do a tour to the gardens ?

2)then afterwards do you think we could still have time to walk around the inner harbor?

3) What places would you suggest if we were looking to do our own little pub crawl?

Thanks so much! I am really excited about this port and am open to any other suggestions you might have

Dana

You do not need to take a tour to SEE the gardens. You just need to get there. Your options are. TAke a ships tour :(.... take transit from outside the Port gates (takes a while but you have lots of time) or get to downtown and buy tickets for transportation and the gardens at the Tourist Info centre in the NE corner of the inner harbour. You will have lots of time depending on how much you really like flowers.

Pub crawl. I'm out of that. ;) sorry but I know there are lots of great pubs in the city and most are walkable around the downtown.

Another Victoria resident here.

If you like gardens, sign up for a Butchart's Garden tour (http://www.butchartgardens.com/) either through your ship or indepenently with some roll call friends. It is about 30-40 min from the cruiseport.(it may not be open in the evenings yet)

Downtown is about a 20 min walk through a pleasant area, here is a link with some info and the various routes you can take into town http://victoriacruise.ca/.

There are lots of shops restaurants and pubs on Government St, if you and your roll call is inclined it would be a nice thing to go on a pub crawl along the street http://www.tourismvictoria.com/. Nothing rowdy. Just a few destinations as you walk the street browsing in shops. Most of the pubs are indepenent, have an Old World feel and are nice to drink in.

If you and your roll call are interested in getting a group together and doing the stroll/pub crawl let me know and I will try to help you plan it out.

Cheers, h

Does anyone know if the cruise ships have that map to distribute (or any map) like they do for Nassau? I've printed off the map, but especially the blue line looks to be pretty hard to follow as there is no street name I can see.

Does anyone know if the cruise ships have that map to distribute (or any map) like they do for Nassau? I've printed off the map, but especially the blue line looks to be pretty hard to follow as there is no street name I can see.

Do not fear that blue line. :)

You can go no further left (going in) or Right (coming back) you would end up in water and I'm sure you wouldn't need a map to know you had made a deviation. Really it's an easy and enjoyable walk.

That map is way better than anything I have ever seen handed out in Ports.

try this one: https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212770407613531027445.0004665d7f3e28f06866d&msa=0&ll=48.419988,-123.3814&spn=0.012774,0.033023

You do not need to take a tour to SEE the gardens. You just need to get there. Your options are. TAke a ships tour :(.... take transit from outside the Port gates (takes a while but you have lots of time) or get to downtown and buy tickets for transportation and the gardens at the Tourist Info centre in the NE corner of the inner harbour. You will have lots of time depending on how much you really like flowers.

Pub crawl. I'm out of that. ;) sorry but I know there are lots of great pubs in the city and most are walkable around the downtown.

Thanks.. any idea on cost of either of these options. I had researched one company CVS sightseeing and that cost for the gardens/transportation was very similar to the cruise tour. I am not opposed to doing things on our own.

Public transit of course would be the least expensive and you need correct Canadian change. So I suggest you check on their website for that. I am not familiar with Victoria's rates.

http://www.bctransit.com/regions/vic/

From downtown, take the #75 directly there. Some #75 trips leave from Royal Oak. In this case, take the #6 or 30/31 from downtown to Royal Oak and transfer to the 75 from there.

The Garden tour ticket costs the same for everyone. So all tours will likely mark it up and be competitive to some extent.

Getting the ticket downtown and using a tour available would still be in the general area of all the others.

Here's the link to Tourist Center

http://www.tourismvictoria.com/plan/visitor-centre/

The gardens of course are not cheap High & shoulder season within a few bucks of each other and about $32.00

• 2 weeks later...
Do you recommend a whale watching company?

There are quite a number of operators in Victoria including Prince of Whales, Eagle Wing and Orca Spirit....the latter two being within walking distance of the cruise terminal.

Edited by Putterdude

There are quite a number of operators in Victoria including Prince of Whales, Eagle Wing and Orca Spirit....the latter two being within walking distance of the cruise terminal.

Hello Putterdude..I have read many of your posts on CC so am thankful to be able to ask specific questions. I have decided to book with Prince of Whales, and forego the gardens. How far is that company from where the ship docks? Would we be able to walk? We are both 40 and pretty active.

Dana