Super Star Virgo

little poppett

If you have not cruised with STAR before you are in for a treat , compared to P & O who persist with silly set formal dinner settings you will be pleasantly shocked and surprised to find out what real service is all about . Star are light years ahead of P & O with what Star & NCL call "Freestyle Cruising" . You do what you want and when you want to on Star & NCL vessels . Enjoy your cruise, but be prepared VIRGO is big like 78,000 tonnes and 13 decks high !

Hi everyone!:)

Just booked our very first ever cruise - aboard the fabulous SUPERSTAR VIRGO! Hubby and I shall be conquering her on the 5th of October for 3 wonderful nights (the HK-CHINA-VIETNAM-HK route)

Anyone on this trip? :confused: We'd love to exchange notes and share the anticipation as D day is fast approaching.

We are soo excited already and this thread has been very very helpful.

Thanks, you guys and hope to get replies whenever something comes up.

It'll be my first time to be in the cruise and I'm really excitedly looking forwar to it. However, I'm kinda worried about proper clothing inside SS Virgo especially in dining activities.

What is the dress code for each restaurant included on the cruise?

Is a simple jeans and shirt get-up enough?

Hi we will be flying from Perth before our cruise and having one night before cruise, does anyone know about if we get duty free alcohol when leaving australia can we take it aboard.

Bellajess, you can buy your duty free in Hong Kong airport on arrival at very good prices so no need to carry it all the way from Perth. Only one litre of spirits each but no restrictions on beer or wine :) .

Enjoy your cruise on the beautiful Virgo!

Neat casual is the go during the day . Smarter casual at dinner and at night. Captains Gala Dinner ladies, nice dress ; guys smart slacks and sports shirt with tie and jacket is enough . No Penguin Suits !!!!

BYO grog on board . You risk having it held in storage whilst you are on board.

Take your own grog to any on-board restaurant and you will be charged a hefty "corkage " charge . Buy your duty free grog on arrival back in Aus at the Airport before going through Customs . Saves lugging it around Overseas, questions in O/S countries, and liquid restrictions in aircraft cabins - too many hassles.

Star drink prices are very reasonable (like Aussie bar prices) so leave the duty free grog till you arrive home, and relax and enjoy your cruise .

If you are in Balcony Class or Admiral Class cabin you should have a F& B credit to go towards your account anyway .

Hi

Two years ago Ex Singapore we were able to do a early check in (2 - 3 days before departure) does anyone know if we are able to do the same in Hong Kong

Thanks

----------------------------------------

SSVIRGO - Singapore Sept 2006 ;)

We are flying out Tuesday to spend 6 Days in Hong Kong prior to boarding the SSV on the 7th Sept ... any advice on shore ex .... do we go free & easy or do we go with an organised excursion????:confused: :confused: :confused:

----------------------------------------

SSVIRGO - Singapore Sept 2006

• 2 weeks later...
A relative of mine has just returned from SS Gemini and was dissapointed that their cabin was on a smoking deck ... that they didn't know about.

Are there "smoking decks" on the SS Virgo ?

What exactly do you mean by "smoking deck"? :confused:

Just checked on Starcruises website about smoking and it says "Smoking is permitted on open decks and at designated public areas only."

Have been on Virgo 6 times and never been bothered by smokers. My DH enjoys having a cigar in "The Den" off Galaxy of the Stars.

My relative is elderly and may have been a bit confused, but she claims that her cabin deck was designated as "smoking", so the smell of smoke permeated the hallway and lift.

As the SS Gemini is about to dissappear ... I suppose it really doesn't matter.

If it is offered the "HUE HIGHLIGHTS" is the tour to do . You go by a/c coach through Da Nang up the old Coastal Highway with stunning views over Da Nang harbour . Then along coastal plains through very picturesque countryside to the ancient imperial Fench capital of Hue. The tour visits some temple complexes in the middle of the jungle, then into Hue proper for lunch. After lunch visit various other sights and see the French architectural influence in Hue . The return trip to Da Nang passes through a new 19km long road tunnel back to the ship at Da Nang . It is a long day but it was the highlight tour of our cruise in June "07 .

Singapore departure & arrival info indicates Virgo will be based in Singapore from late October 2008 till 21/06/09 when it heads north to Hong Kong for a season before returning to Singapore on 04/09/09 .

Starcruises' latest ship deployment plans sound quite different ... Virgo staying in Singapore until Sept 2009 ... Aquarius goes to Hong Kong (details from Starcruises website http://www.starcruises.com/news/2008/080918Starcruises_Redeployment_Eng.pdf )

Archived