Super Star Virgo

little poppett

Thanks for the replies I do feel more at ease now.

I do have some quick question as a first time cruiser.

Is there ok storage space for suitcases. i will be with my wife and 2 year old so we will have 2 medium/large suitcases. Do you store these in the cupboard.

Also are you better booking shorex before cruising or do you just do it when aboard. i have heard stories of people wanting to bbok onboard and finding out that they are fully booked.

I would like to do a planned shorex in Phuket. If you do 1 of teh tours is there enough time for shopping as well at the end of teh tour?

Sorry for all the questions.

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

We have always found plenty of storage space on Virgo as long as the suitcases are not too large.

Also, we have always docked off Patong Beach on our previous Virgo cruises and walked to Patong shops for shopping. I agree, that in Patong they have a lot of cheap tshorts, DVDS etc. but there is a Robertsons Department Store which usually have some decent clothing etc. I have never shopped in KL because of the 1 1/2 - 2 hour trip to go to the markets etc. and have felt it is not worth it!

I have also found that the Shore excursions on Virgo are reasonably priced and well worth it. we can recommend the Melacca tour if it is on your itinerary. It is a very long day, but well worth doing and very affordable. This also includes some shopping time in KL.

Have a great time, we are going again in March and are counting the days!

Hello All,

I am cruising on the Virgo next month from Singapore, and I have a question about the on board Mobile Phone network "Navitas". It appears that this network is run out of Jersey Telecom on Jersey Island in the UK.

Therefore, if I bring a UK mobile phone on board, will the rates to call the UK be the same as if I were in the UK?

Put another way:

What rates were you charged when using your UK mobiles on this ship?

Question # 2:

Has anyone purchased the onboard Navitas Freedom Sim card? How much does the card cost? What are the rates to Europe or USA? How much do they charge for the recharge cards?

I am sure this has been discussed before, but I have no idea how to search the Superstar Virgo thread......

Thanks

Cycloney

Hello All,

I am cruising on the Virgo next month from Singapore, and I have a question about the on board Mobile Phone network "Navitas". It appears that this network is run out of Jersey Telecom on Jersey Island in the UK.

Therefore, if I bring a UK mobile phone on board, will the rates to call the UK be the same as if I were in the UK?

Put another way:

What rates were you charged when using your UK mobiles on this ship?

Question # 2:

Has anyone purchased the onboard Navitas Freedom Sim card? How much does the card cost? What are the rates to Europe or USA? How much do they charge for the recharge cards?

I am sure this has been discussed before, but I have no idea how to search the Superstar Virgo thread......

Thanks

Cycloney

Hi Cycloney

We have used our mobile phone on Virgo, all we did was ensure we had global roaming and either txts or phoned as usual. We were billed by our carrier in Australia. Another option we are going to look at for our March Virgo cruise is to purchase a pre-paid card in Singapore and use that for any calls that need to be made. The reception on the ship is great and rarely were we not able to receive or send calls.

Hope this helps.

Arrange Overseas Roaming with your mobile service provider before you leave home country. In the Straits of Malacca you are within range of mobile on land towers most of the trip in either Indonesia or Malaysia. So no need for Navitas or special cards . Radio signals carry very well over water under normal circumstances . Don't forget your phone charger and set of adapters and you can charge your phone on board .

Thanks for all the info, :)

Adapters and Global Roaming are no problem. I will probably use a Global Roaming card like travelSim, or my home carriers card - T-mobile.

Next question to bother you all about,

Are there any sample menus posted or discussed anywhere on the net for Superstar Virgo? For example, I wonder what the difference is between Pavillion and Noble House?

I am so excited, as this is going to be first star cruise, and also first cruise in the Asia region.

Thanks,

Cycloney

I haven't been on here for ages but have just come back from my second cruise on Virgo. It was just as great as the firsat one. At this time of the year the ships docks off Patong Beach (they have a moveable jetty which is up over Dec/Jan/ Feb and comes down when seas are rougher apparently. If you just want to spend the day shopping, having massages etc at Patong, there is not charge. You just go 'free and easy' and the transfer by tender is free of charge. However if it is your first time to Phuket you may well want to do an all day excursion. I didn't eat at Noble House, but you need to pay (from cabin credits if you have them) whereas Pavillion is all inclusive.

Does anyone know if they are continuing the Sunday to Wed cruises from Singapore later in the year? I just looked at the website and they seem to only have dates for the Wed-Fri trip to Malacca/KL. I'd like to plot my next escapade!

Liz

OK Last question,

I should have asked this question first, since it is by far the most important.

Would I be foolish to book a post cruise package leaving Singapore airport the same evening as the ship arrives? According to the Cruise Itinerary, Virgo docks at 14:00 in Singapore. Does this mean we can leave the ship at 14:00?

How late has the Virgo been in your experiences?

The main question is:

Am I safe booking a flight only at 20:00 (only 6 hours after the ship docks)?

By this time I will most certainly have an MRT pass for the public transport in Singapore. But if they don't actually allow the passengers to leave until 2 hours later, it might be a close call, and I may want to overnight in Singapore.

Thanks

Cycloney

OK Last question,

Would I be foolish to book a post cruise package leaving Singapore airport the same evening as the ship arrives? According to the Cruise Itinerary, Virgo docks at 14:00 in Singapore. Does this mean we can leave the ship at 14:00?

The main question is:

By this time I will most certainly have an MRT pass for the public transport in Singapore. But if they don't actually allow the passengers to leave until 2 hours later, it might be a close call, and I may want to overnight in Singapore.

Thanks

Cycloney

You will be told that you can only disembark after the ship has been cleared, however I think you would be very safe is saying you would be off and through Customs by 3;30. The taxi queue can be long but if you are going by MRT to the airport you should be OK. You would be aiming to get to the airport by 5-6pm which i think is quite OK

IDoes anyone know if they are continuing the Sunday to Wed cruises from Singapore later in the year? I just looked at the website and they seem to only have dates for the Wed-Fri trip to Malacca/KL. I'd like to plot my next escapade!

Liz

Hi Liz,

I sure hope so as I am booked for the 5 day cruise (3+2 segments) for Dec 13th. It still shows on Star web site. In fact, they show all 2,3 & 5 day cruises for December. What month are looking for?

Pavilion Room is inclusive. Food is traditional Chinese with all sorts of mysterious vegetables and seafood .

Noble House is pay, or use on board F & B Credit if you have Balcony Cabin, Junior or Executive Suite . Chinese food here is more as Westerners expect.

Tip go for the all inclusive Peking Duck meal (min 4 persons) for around $ 19 a head you get - 6 pieces each person Duck skin in the pancake wrap, then they bring the duckmeat with vegetables as next course with rice . Very filling best quality and great value for money . Be sure to book as Noble House is very popular .

OK Last question,

The main question is:

Thanks

Cycloney

We have never experienced Virgo to be late,so for our March cruise we are going straight to the airport for a 8.00pm flight home. You should not have any problems. In the past we have stayed at an Airport hotel after the cruise but have found that many people just go straight to the airport.

Have a good trip. By the way, the japanese restaurant on Virgo has great food!:)

Tip go for the all inclusive Peking Duck meal (min 4 persons) for around $ 19 a head you get - 6 pieces each person Duck skin in the pancake wrap, then they bring the duckmeat with vegetables as next course with rice . Very filling best quality and great value for money . Be sure to book as Noble House is very popular .

Hi Kuldalai,

I assume you can get this package even if you have only 2 people, as long as you are willing to pay 4 X $ 19. As I have a balcony and we don't drink - might as well spend it on food. Besides I can easily eat a dozen pieces of Peking duck myself - my favorite Chinese dish.

Hi again,

am leaving next Sat for 6 night cruise. Will be travelling with 22 month old. What sort of activities are there for that age. I know there is a child care centre with fun activities. Can parents take the kids in there and stay with them to play for a while or do you have to leave them.

Anybody else have any other tips for cruising with a toddler. He will love the kiddy pool so i assume we will spend alot of time around there.

Cheers

Ryan

Yes just order the minimum which IIRC was for 4 persons and the two of you just eat as much as you can, and waddle out like a couple of ducks !!!!

Better still pair up with another couple over drinks and share dinner for 4 .

Hi again,

am leaving next Sat for 6 night cruise. Will be travelling with 22 month old. What sort of activities are there for that age. I know there is a child care centre with fun activities. Can parents take the kids in there and stay with them to play for a while or do you have to leave them.

Anybody else have any other tips for cruising with a toddler. He will love the kiddy pool so i assume we will spend alot of time around there.

Cheers

Ryan

Last year, we went with our 2.5 boy and he spent some time in the day care. No, they won't allow parents to enter the area but he was with his older cousins. At first, he was apprehensive and won;t go inside, but the staff were friendly and it did not take too long for him to adjust.

What exactly did they do inside, we had no idea. But I think they had parties, art lessons and other activities. Anyway he had a lot of fun.

He and his cousins also enjoyed the kiddie pool and had a blast playing adults while dining in the kiddie buffet area. :)

Just back from Straits of Mallaca cruise. Some brief comments..

• Ship is in first class condition
  • Seas were like a mill pond
  • Anchored off Penang and Patong Beach
  • Was always on time, if not a bit early
  • Staff are as friendly as everyone says
  • Fitted one suitcase under bed ... other had to go in cupboard
  • Used up Cabin Credit quite easily ... as pay restaurants charge quite steeply
  • Didn't like:
    • No refigerator in room (Balcony)
    • Lots of smoking in many public areas and cabins
    • Limited hours buffett ... resulted in a stampede at meal times. Even saw people grabbing handfuls of desert cake as they rushed by. Couldn't even walk through buffet to get to another area as door guard yells ... "You have already eaten at Bella Vista!!"

But overall, a great cruise.

How do they know that you have already eaten at Bella Vista?

When you enter Bella Vista (and lately also the Mediterranean buffet) they swipe your card, thus recording that you have eaten at that particular (inclusive) outlet (they only swipe one card though, even if there's 2 of you).

Think they are trying to avoid people eating a particular meal twice in 2 different restaurants. Also they do not allow any food to be taken out of the buffet area for hygiene reasons (unlike what we have experienced on other ships, where people can be seen in the corridors with plates of food, cups of coffee etc. - the remnants of which are often found left abandoned 'wherever' :rolleyes:

VIRGO has two superb pay restaurants which are World Class and well worth a visit but be sure to book as seating is limited . (A good way to use up your F & B Credit if you are in a Balcony Cabin, Junior or Executive Suite. If not you charge to your on-board account.)

* PALAZZO is a specialty Italian restaurant where the food and service are exemplary, and the works of Art behind solid glass (all originals) are something to die for .

* NOBLE HOUSE is specialty Chinese . If you like Peking Duck go for the inclusive Peking Duck Dinner (min 4 persons) for something like $ 19 a head you get 6 crispy duckskin in pancakes, then they bring the meat of the duck with wonderful fresh vegetables and rice. Just superb and so filling.

I would also add the following:

1. Gets some photos from the "viewport" before sailing
  2. Check out the Bridge view window ... access from Galaxy of the Stars
  3. Bellini's Bar is a good place for mellow tunes and a drink
  4. BEWARE ... the Buffet
  5. Check out the multi million dollar renos down the back!
  6. Watch your step getting into a Tender

Hi everyone,

My husband and i are doing the 5 day cruise from singapore in March. We have an executive suite. Have heard a couple of rumours about people being rude in lines for food and that the tours at each stop aren't worth doing. Can someone advise me on these? Also i get sea sick in the bath....how bad is the movement on this massive craft? :o

Archived