Iguazu Falls help needed

loum140

A guide is not really necessary.

Book your flight from Rio to IGU. Domestic airlines are TAM, GOL, Azul, and Alianza. Santos Dumont intown airport in Rio is very close to the port, but flights are usually a bit more. Or you can take a taxi to GIG. Book flights well in advance if possible, to get the best fare.

It is very easy to get around at the falls by local public bus or taxi. It is a fairly quiet area, so not worrisome. One bus goes from the town, past the airport, out to the park entrance (for both sides). Another starts from the same terminal on one town and goes to the terminal in the other. There are plenty of taxis, who will also take you to the other side of the park.

You could choose to stay in Foz do Iguacu, Brazil or Puerto Iguazu, Argentina, both of which have lots of choices. Each side of the park also has a relatively expensive hotel inside the park.

Make sure you have your Argentine reciprocity fee paid ahead online, carry the receipt, and stop both ways to do the border formalities.

You will be walking the marked paths on both sides, so a guide adds little value there.

Thank you for all this information. We will investigate.

However we will have luggage (post cruise) to store and not sure how to accomplish this. Ideally, we are hoping to find a tour company that will pick us up at the Rio cruise port, fly us to the Falls, provide hotel and transport to Argentina side, then return us to Rio.

You could store the luggage you don't want to take with you, safely (from my multiple personal experiences, although I would not leave laptops or other such valuables), at either Santos Dumont airport or GIG luggagemstorage facilities.

You could try contacting http://www.brol.com in Miami, who specialize in Brazil travel.Or the largest Brazilian travel agency CVC, who usually have good air/ hotel packages.

Any arranged tour of the type you describe that I have seen priced out has been many times more than the rather uncomplicated DIY process, but my priorities are always to use my funds to stay longer. YMMV

Have a wonderful trip. The falls are indeed spectacular.

We went to Iguazu post cruise from Rio. I was concerned about everything working out but it did. We flew TAM from GIG to IGU for under $500 for both of us. We only wanted to take one suitcase with us so we made arrangements to store our luggage at our hotel in Rio while we were at the Falls. Our tour guide in Rio agreed to drop off our luggage at the hotel before we headed to Christ the Redeemer. We made all these arrangements before we left the US.

Visiting Iguazu was special. We stayed at a B and B in Foz that was recommended to us by friends. The owner arranged for her driver to pick us up at the airport, take us to the Argentine side one day, the Brazilian side the next day, and back to the airport the next day. You do not need a guide for the Falls. You should see both sides. One for the sheer volume and the other for the beauty. We spent three nights as our flight from Rio was late in the day. We never felt uneasy even at night. Make certain you do get the Argentine entrance pass online before you leave the US. All you need is the print out which will cost you $160 each. But, it is the only way to see the Argentine side. Bring disposable ponchos from Walmart or Dollar Store. You will need them. We got caught in a storm so they came in handy.

Enjoy your trip!

Pearl

We went pre-cruise in 2010 and it was fabulous. We cruised from Buenos Aires, so after flying into BA, went to our hotel and they held most of our luggage for us for the three days we were in Iguazu. We flew up early the next morning, checked into the Panoramic hotel in Puerto Iguazu, Argentina where we had a room that overlooked the river and we could see all three countries (Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay). The hotel was great and they called a cab that took us to the Brazil side, through the checkpoint, waited for us and then took us back to the hotel. He also took us on a mini tour on the way back, stopping at the point where the three countries converge and several other points of interest. As I recall it was not a lot to pay and great that he was there waiting for us when we came out of the park. In the evenings we wandered into town and found inexpensive restaurants that were very good. One evening we bought sausage, cheese, olives and wine from the places that line the street and reminded us of storage units. The sausage and olives were all homemade and fabulous and as I recall was about $20 for everything!!! We sat at a table with an extended family from Brazil that told us they came over about once a week to have "dinner" at this place. It was a great experience.

The next day, the hotel gave us the directions on how to catch the bus to the Argentinian side of the falls (about 5 blocks away). We spent the entire day there and then caught the bus back. Definitely take the boat trip under the falls!! We relaxed at the pool when we got back and flew back the next morning.

The hotels in town were about 1/2 as much as those "in" the park, when we went. Also, the problem with staying in the park is that you have no other place to eat, so are forced to eat at the hotel.

Have a great time.

We went pre-cruise in 2010 and it was fabulous. We cruised from Buenos Aires, so after flying into BA, went to our hotel and they held most of our luggage for us for the three days we were in Iguazu. We flew up early the next morning, checked into the Panoramic hotel in Puerto Iguazu, Argentina where we had a room that overlooked the river and we could see all three countries (Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay). The hotel was great and they called a cab that took us to the Brazil side, through the checkpoint, waited for us and then took us back to the hotel. He also took us on a mini tour on the way back, stopping at the point where the three countries converge and several other points of interest. As I recall it was not a lot to pay and great that he was there waiting for us when we came out of the park. In the evenings we wandered into town and found inexpensive restaurants that were very good. One evening we bought sausage, cheese, olives and wine from the places that line the street and reminded us of storage units. The sausage and olives were all homemade and fabulous and as I recall was about $20 for everything!!! We sat at a table with an extended family from Brazil that told us they came over about once a week to have "dinner" at this place. It was a great experience.

The next day, the hotel gave us the directions on how to catch the bus to the Argentinian side of the falls (about 5 blocks away). We spent the entire day there and then caught the bus back. Definitely take the boat trip under the falls!! We relaxed at the pool when we got back and flew back the next morning.

The hotels in town were about 1/2 as much as those "in" the park, when we went. Also, the problem with staying in the park is that you have no other place to eat, so are forced to eat at the hotel.

Have a great time.

Thank you for your review. What did the taxi cost to the Brazil side and how long in total did the whole trip take? Thanks

It takes about 3 hours on average to walk the path on the Brazilian side of the path and take photos. While you are there, you could also visit the interesting Bird Park near the park entrance, spending about another couple of hours.

I took he local bus from o e side to the other, so can't help with taxi info regarding cost or time.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for your review. What did the taxi cost to the Brazil side and how long in total did the whole trip take? Thanks

I'm not sure anymore. I know that it wasn't a lot or we would have done something different. One of the nice parts of having the taxi was that he dealt with the border crossing both ways while we just sat in the taxi.

I'm not sure anymore. I know that it wasn't a lot or we would have done something different. One of the nice parts of having the taxi was that he dealt with the border crossing both ways while we just sat in the taxi.

Taxi is certainly convenient if your budget allows and/or your schedule requires, but taking the bus (about R$2) with DIY border formalities is really not complicated or necessarily more time consuming.

• 4 weeks later...