I need your honest opinion... before Friday!

sendtodb

So here's the deal. We had plans for GC, but our neighbors just joined us on the cruise. They want to do a 7-mile beach day, and we thought it would be great to join them.

The problem is that there will be 4 ships in port, with 15K pax, and we are the last ones in (Carnival Victory in list below).

7-4 Carnival Conquest

8-4 MSC Divina

8-5 Independence of the Seas

9-430 Carnival Victory

Question #1 is: If we were to go to an area of 7-mile with food/drink, we had looked at Royal Palms due to what seemed like greater flexibility with gluten-free & vegetarian food options. BUT... since RP is one of the closest establishments, will it be packed? Are we better off going further down the strip... maybe to someplace like Surfside?

Question # 2 is: we live near a beach in NH, so know how a beach can be wide & sandy one season, then thin & rocky after a storm. We are going in a week. How does Royal Palms stack up with Surfside, sand-width-wise right about now? Just thinking that a wider beach can handle more of a crowd.

Question #3 is: We had bought Carnival's FTTF, which would've allowed us to get off the tender early, but our neighbors got into the deal too late. If we are in at 9AM, and assume we could get off by 10, how much time should we reasonably expect to have at the beach?

Question # 4 is: MAYBE THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon6.gif What time should we be back to the dock? I've read a bunch of stories re: long lines trying to get tendered back to ships when there are a bunch of ships in port. Seeing as how all four ships are leaving at about the same time, what time should we be back? 2pm? 2:30?

Thanks so much! This is really last minute, and I don't want this to be a miserable experience with crowds, traffic, etc.

GC beaches are quite narrow....you can see the road from the beach! Most Caribbean beaches are narrow. They are NOT "rocky" at all....it's more of a ground up shell...not the sand you're used to in the States! Our sand is ground rock....theirs is ground shell! It's a different, firmer feel.

Seagrape beach has everything...chair/umbrella/watersport rentals, food, drink and restrooms! There is a bus stop right there, too....the bus runs regularly...no need for a cab! $2.50 pp.

Don't worry about the number of ships...not EVERYONE goes to the beach! They only allow as many folks as they can handle. It will be fine!

There is only 1 road to and from the beach...keep an eye on the traffic...it does back up in the afternoon, so leave yourself about 1 hour's leeway to get back to the ship! The sun is SO strong, you probably won't want to stay more than 3 hours or so....you can totally burn yourself into misery! Sunscreen, and lots of it!

Edited by cb at sea

anyone else? with 4 ships leaving between 4 and 5pm, what time should I be back at the port so that I don't have to wait in a huge line?

The lines are all separate, it's not one big line for everyone. They'll give you a "last tender" time. My personal preference is to be in line no later than 30 minutes before that time.

Thanks for the info, bookbabe & CaptBJ!

Captain, I was originally going to Sunset House for snorkeling, and lunch / drinks. Thought that would be the smart thing to do on a busy day... go the opposite direction of everybody else! But our neighbors who just joined us want to do a beach (sand in the toes thing), so we thought we'd join them.

SMB will be crowded everywhere, that's a given. For the best chance of being away from the hordes consider renting a car and making the 45 min drive to Rum Point. Easy drive, gorgeous beach and home of the original mudslide and much quieter during the week at least. If that's too much consider caribbean bound's idea. The problem is you will be probably be doing more walking than relaxing, just too busy a day and all of your fellow cruisemates have the same plans. But you can also just plop down on your towel in front of any condos or resorts where there may be fewer people, just stay near the water line.

If you make it down to the Marriott (just south of RP) we like having drinks and lunch at Coconut Joe's across the street before heading back to the tender.

But we would tell our friends that the beach option on GCM that particular day is not a good one and a day on the water with Fat Fish Adventures would be much more enjoyable. They'll have their toes in the sand on the Sandbar!

Good luck!

if you are in the tender line to go back .... they will NOT leave you

. . .

Last year we got back to the tender pier about 30 minutes before last tender. Four ships in port. We stood in line for at least an hour and a half.

LOTS of good info!

clackey: That's what we DON'T want :o 1/2 hr or 45 minutes is ok, but an hour and a half w/ 3 kids is not! As 'cb at sea' mentioned, the sun is strong. Add that to the fact we are coming from the great white north (and are pale skinned), and this will be our 4th day in the hot sun... I think we can safely head back to the ship after 3.5 hrs at the beach. We should have 1 or 1.5 hrs at the port area for poking around while keeping an eye on the line!

blue_water: I love the idea of Rum Point... that is my kind of place... wow! Absolutely beautiful. With all our dynamics however, this trip may not be the time to do that. Next time definitely, when it is just our family. While I also like the idea of walking back from Cemetary, I know at least 3 in our group of 7 are looking to just plop down in the warm sand, grab a cold beverage, and let the stress melt away :D

Question for you b_w: I'd read up on C. Joes... sounds good for our group. If we want the majority of our time to be on the beach NEAR C. Joes, is there a nice beachy beach bar nearby? I could see sitting there enjoying the water, the rum punch, and THEN a trip for lunch before heading back to the port area.

And Capt_BJ, Sunset House is still in my sites! If the water looks clear & fairly calm when we arrive, we may split up from the pack!

Thanks for the various viewpoints folks... exactly what I was looking for!

Suggestion: There's 5 miles of contiguous beach at 7-mile beach. Start at Cemetery Beach and if you don't like what you see keep walking South towards the ship until you do. It's exactly what we plan to do after we visit Hell and maybe the turtle park.

When is your cruise Caribbean bound? I wanted to do hell and turtle farm then beach as well. I wasn't sure if it is doable time-wise. I only want to spend about an hour at turtle farm, not full park. My trip is in November so if you are before me will you check back and let me know how it went, please.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

SMB will be crowded everywhere, that's a given. For the best chance of being away from the hordes consider renting a car and making the 45 min drive to Rum Point

Good luck!

Blue Water I have a question for you too. I assume since rum point is 45 minutes away renting a car and driving is the way to get there, will a cab take you that far? Once there, getting to Star fish point is that another drive and then another drive to Captain Joe's? This is my alternative adventure to SMB.

Blue Water I have a question for you too. I assume since rum point is 45 minutes away renting a car and driving is the way to get there, will a cab take you that far? Once there, getting to Star fish point is that another drive and then another drive to Captain Joe's? This is my alternative adventure to SMB.

Yes a taxi will take you to Rum Point...for about $80 US each way (for up to 3 people, a larger group would be more). It would be extra for the side trip to Starfish Point, plus extra for the wait time at both those places. There are no taxis waiting in those areas to take you back to the ship, so you'd have to have the taxi wait or pre-arrange the return trip. You are essentially taking a taxi to "cottage country" and it costs a lot. A rental car is way less money and way more convenient than a taxi.

By Captain Joe's, I assume you mean Coconut Joe's. That's in the Seven Mile Beach area, in the opposite direction as Rum Point.

Question for you b_w: I'd read up on C. Joes... sounds good for our group. If we want the majority of our time to be on the beach NEAR C. Joes, is there a nice beachy beach bar nearby? I could see sitting there enjoying the water, the rum punch, and THEN a trip for lunch before heading back to the port area.

Royal Palms is the closest of the SMB beach clubs to Coconut Joes. You could definitely walk over after some beach time, then grab a taxi back to the port from there.

By Captain Joe's, I assume you mean Coconut Joe's. That's in the Seven Mile Beach area, in the opposite direction as Rum Point.

Thanks Bookbabe! Yes, I meant Coconut Joe's... it was early before my coffee.:D

Which area would be better with an 8 yr old daughter and a mom that hates crowds?

battiskm...

We'll be there in late March 2014. I'll post a full review upon our return on Cruise Critic and on my website at: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

If you're interested in seeing our really detailed information on excursions we've taken in over 20 Caribbean ports, check it out.

Thanks Bookbabe! Yes, I meant Coconut Joe's... it was early before my coffee.:D

Which area would be better with an 8 yr old daughter and a mom that hates crowds?

On SMB, I'd head towards Public Beach (Calico Jack's) since there's a playground. See the "Difference in Beach Clubs" thread below for more details on the various spots.

If you are willing/able to rent a car, then Rum Point is great as a sometimes-less-crowded alternative.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=41320923#post41320923 - SMB vs Rum Point

Edited by bookbabe

Question for you b_w: I'd read up on C. Joes... sounds good for our group. If we want the majority of our time to be on the beach NEAR C. Joes, is there a nice beachy beach bar nearby? I could see sitting there enjoying the water, the rum punch, and THEN a trip for lunch before heading back to the port

CJ's is a shortish walk from Royal Palms heading toward town. So if the group ended up at RP you could walk there. CJ's is across the street from the Marriott and Comfort Suites.

A taxi would be ridiculous, renting a small car is the way to go.

You can hit SP on the way if tou want.

Coconut Joe's is on SMB near Royal Palms.

So here's the deal. We had plans for GC, but our neighbors just joined us on the cruise. They want to do a 7-mile beach day, and we thought it would be great to join them.

The problem is that there will be 4 ships in port, with 15K pax, and we are the last ones in (Carnival Victory in list below).

7-4 Carnival Conquest

8-4 MSC Divina

8-5 Independence of the Seas

9-430 Carnival Victory

Question #1 is: If we were to go to an area of 7-mile with food/drink, we had looked at Royal Palms due to what seemed like greater flexibility with gluten-free & vegetarian food options. BUT... since RP is one of the closest establishments, will it be packed? Are we better off going further down the strip... maybe to someplace like Surfside?

Question # 2 is: we live near a beach in NH, so know how a beach can be wide & sandy one season, then thin & rocky after a storm. We are going in a week. How does Royal Palms stack up with Surfside, sand-width-wise right about now? Just thinking that a wider beach can handle more of a crowd.

Question #3 is: We had bought Carnival's FTTF, which would've allowed us to get off the tender early, but our neighbors got into the deal too late. If we are in at 9AM, and assume we could get off by 10, how much time should we reasonably expect to have at the beach?

Question # 4 is: MAYBE THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon6.gif What time should we be back to the dock? I've read a bunch of stories re: long lines trying to get tendered back to ships when there are a bunch of ships in port. Seeing as how all four ships are leaving at about the same time, what time should we be back? 2pm? 2:30?

Thanks so much! This is really last minute, and I don't want this to be a miserable experience with crowds, traffic, etc.

Hey, fellow NH-ite. Which beach do you live near?

Q2-Do you mean if the beach is wide like Hampton, from the wall to the water?

It's very rare to find a beach like those in the Caribbean. They are much narrower but they also have A LOT more coastline than our measly 18 miles. We've experienced all kinds of sand-from baby powder fine to coarse and rocky. GC's beaches are softer than our beaches back home.

As to Q1, there is so much to do on GC. I would imagine that a lot of first timers go swimming with stingrays and snorkeling.

(That's what we did our first time. :D)

Q4-The lines for tendering can be very long and very hot. We always leave the beach about two hours before last tender time, unless we want to shop a little. Then we give ourselves more time.

Have a blast. And please bring back some warmth and sunshine.

Edited by stargate fan

at the risk of getting in trouble, I asked about the adults only rule on the pool at Royal Palms on

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1985096

I'm a bit confused. What constitutes "adult"? My son who is probably the only one who would use it will be 19 years old.

And it's available for the general admission for $2???

Thank you.

I'm a bit confused. What constitutes "adult"? My son who is probably the only one who would use it will be 19 years old.

And it's available for the general admission for $2???

I would assume that since it's insurance-related, they would mean it's 18+ in the pool, but I would email them and ask to be sure. They've got "contact us" info on their website.

And, yes, using the pool is part of the $2 admission fee.

Edited by bookbabe