Existing medical conditions

Tiggerwasere

Sail, this is not directly pointed at you, I just wanted to point out that at least you tried to be nice about along with a few others. Then again look at the reply by Peety3.. grow up? Stop whining?

Comments like that are not needed overall.

I'm also diabetic, currently on pills but my PC is threatening to put me on injectables so the tap water in the room concerns me also. And no, I'll guarentee that the ship water isnt purer than my well water, no way no how. Its one of the reasons I drink mainly bottled water, now maybe the ship water is purer than some bottled waters. ;)

I'll say that some of you tried to help the OP, but I've seen time & time again people like Peety who just troll the boards & give this whole forum a really bad name. I'm also gonna be a first time cruiser & was sharing this forum with others I know are going on our group cruise.. but now I dont due to garbage like those specific responses.

Fricking "clickish" people & trolls. :mad:

Again, I'm an insulin dependent diabetic and I still want to know what water quality has to do with it? Please let me know, because both my doctor and I have been doing something wrong for years if I need "special" water for my injections. And I haven't found the cliquish people and trolls you mention! Am I part of a clique and don't know it?

Edited by rvsullivan

Again, I'm an insulin dependent diabetic and I still want to know what water quality has to do with it? Please let me know, because both my doctor and I have been doing something wrong for years if I need "special" water for my injections. And I haven't found the cliquish people and trolls you mention! Am I part of a clique and don't know it?

Thank you! I know quite a bit about diabetes and am totally missing the connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RV,

Did you tell the OP to grow up? Fill out the form & stop whining about it? Were you rude to the OP at any time?

No? Same as several here, then you are not cliquish peoples. 8)

The point of it all to me is.. the OP is a first time cruiser, same as I, & she had questions about something, doesnt matter what.

I had a whole lot more that I was gonna post but ya know what, it just aint worth it. I'm not gonna come back & feed more trolls, I've have better things to do with my time.

OP, hope you get it straightened out, hope you both enjoy your cruise. 8)

:confused: I think it likely this is tongue in cheek :) but there is no reason for them to provide 'free water' other than from the tap. If any of us have special needs that require a given product, it is for us to provide for ourselves. Would any hotel provide free bottles of water because a particular guest could not/did not want to use the tap water?

Any of us who want bottled water on a ship that does not provide it to all, have to buy it for ourselves.

Not exactly correct. Those who require distilled water for a CPAP for sleep apnea are provided it free of charge on NCL from Special Needs dept. I realize that HAL charges for it.

Not exactly correct. Those who require distilled water for a CPAP for sleep apnea are provided it free of charge on NCL from Special Needs dept. I realize that HAL charges for it.

Yes, I have read HAL charges for it.

Nice NCI does not. :cool:

RV,

Did you tell the OP to grow up? Fill out the form & stop whining about it? Were you rude to the OP at any time?

No? Same as several here, then you are not cliquish peoples. 8)

The point of it all to me is.. the OP is a first time cruiser, same as I, & she had questions about something, doesnt matter what.

I had a whole lot more that I was gonna post but ya know what, it just aint worth it. I'm not gonna come back & feed more trolls, I've have better things to do with my time.

OP, hope you get it straightened out, hope you both enjoy your cruise. 8)

I agree. It is embarrassing what some people will respond with to a first time cruiser who has an honest question.

I don't mind tap water. I just do not like taking it from the bathroom faucet. The kitchen is fine, grew up with the garden hose water, loved the taste of that. But the bathroom faucet is just a gross thing to drink from and I know it is all in my mind, but it is what it is. Perhaps the OP does not know if the faucet water is ok to drink. I would have thought the same thing on my first cruise.

Edited by Steve and Sharon

I usually mark the 'diabetic' box on the special needs form. I've never been asked to provide a doctor's note, but am always provided a sharps container in the cabin.

My doctor has a form letter that indicates my medical status, and lists the medications and supplies that I'm carrying. Never needed it, but have it at hand in the event anyone questions the contents of my luggage.

DH's doctor will likely mail a copy of their standard form without requiring an office visit.

I agree. It is embarrassing what some people will respond with to a first time cruiser who has an honest question.

I don't mind tap water. I just do not like taking it from the bathroom faucet. The kitchen is fine, grew up with the garden hose water, loved the taste of that. But the bathroom faucet is just a gross thing to drink from and I know it is all in my mind, but it is what it is. Perhaps the OP does not know if the faucet water is ok to drink. I would have thought the same thing on my first cruise.

I gotta ask why would the bathroom taps be any different then the kitchen taps? assuming they are cleaned occasionally? where do you get the water to brush your teeth?

Try thinking that one may need the water in the cabin to swollow the pills one needs to take, rather than as part of the regime for controlling diabetes.

Cheers, h.

PS most people on Cruise Critic are really friendly; the grouchy ones just stand out more. And like all things bad, are remembered longer. Please don't the the few riun your future interaction with the many.:D

OP,

In answer to your original question about whether or not bottled water is included in the drinks package, I found some information on the official MSC website that may answer your question. I'll post a link below

http://www.msccruisesusa.com/us_en/Special-Services/Beverage-Packages.aspx

I hope you and your husband have a pleasant cruise.

Edited by JimAOk1945

The OP is from England, and hasn't cruised before.

I had to enquire about tap water before our first cruise because for many years we've travelled abroad using ferries, and you often found taps which were labelled "not drinking water". It would be fairly reasonable to suppose that cruise ships were like ferries, and only took on board a certain amount of potable water at either end of their sea journey. It's possible that many European new cruisers have the same problem.

I had to enquire about tap water before our first cruise because for many years we've travelled abroad using ferries, and you often found taps which were labelled "not drinking water". It would be fairly reasonable to suppose that cruise ships were like ferries, and only took on board a certain amount of potable water at either end of their sea journey. It's possible that many European new cruisers have the same problem.

Thank you for sharing this information with us. I had no idea about the water on the ferries and am appreciative to learn what OP's reasoning likely was.

I don't understand why it is so hard for some of you to just answer a question. That's what this board is about. Not everyone is as smart as some of you.

Why do you take the time and energy to reply to a post in a hateful manner? I just don't understand it. I have had several people be rude to me and try to make me feel stupid. Absolutely not reason for that.

OP, I'm sorry you have encountered so many rude replies. I hope you get everything worked out.

That makes sense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, My husband and I are booked on the MSC Fantasia in April. I made enquiries about the drinks package and , during the conversation, said that my husband was a diabetic. This was to determine if water was available in the cabin. The lady I spoke to said she would find out from MSC and get back to me. However, she has now sent me a special needs medical form to be completed , with doctors note indicating if he is fit to travel. (My original enquiry about tap water was ignored ) My husbands condition is controlled by medication , not insulin injections so why does this form need to be filled in? This is our first cruise and nobody mentioned pre existing conditions at the time of booking. Can MSC stop us boarding if the form isn't filled in even though he doesn't have special needs and it doesn't look like it applies to him ?:eek:

I have finally heard back from the TA and have to fill in the form and provide a doctors " fitness to travel " note attached. They have taken over a week to get back to me. I would like to thank all those who answered my questions, stupid or not. If I have learned anything from this experience it is to keep things to myself in future :rolleyes:

I agree to having been a bit perplexed about the reasoning behind the original question, but didn't think it was 'inappropriate' enough to warrant the tetchy responses. And yes, I'm a veteran of many a ferry crossing where the cabin water is not potable!

Just a suggestion, Tiggerwasere, that you may find the 'First Time Cruisers' section of the forum a little less prickly!

The purpose for the form is to make sure that the cruise line would not be at risk or not able to properly provide a safe environment for a passenger who has a medical condition that may defined as "special needs" or "at risk" They also only have limited medical care and staffing on board and want to be sure they understand any potential issues up front.

Regardless of who said what to whom, the question was basically raised by you and is now being properly followed up on from the cruise line's perspective. This doesn't remotely mean that they are trying to find a way to deny you boarding or anything devious. They just need to be assured that their passengers are fit to travel and that they - or the cruise line - would not be at risk. People with conditions requiring certain attention far more serious than that which you describe cruise every day. They only want to understand your situation and to be sure it is as insignificant as you say.

Nothing in this should cause you to be angry or in any way concerned. Just fill out the form with truthful answers and you will only be helping yourself and the cruise line. Refusal to do so would only raise this to a situation where they would be suspicious of something deeper and then it could become more of an issue.

In other words don't worry about why it is being requested, just fill it out and start planning your cruise. Also, the ships water is perfectly safe - probably treated better than your home tap water - and can be consumed from the faucet in a glass or delivered to your room (but likely with a charge) in bottled form.

Enjoy your cruise!

I agree. Once the OP asked about having water available and mentioning the need is due to a medical condition, the TA and cruise line are going to respond with a special needs request because there is a implication that a disability accommodation IS being requested. To disregard even a vague request once anything medical is mentioned invites a violation of the ADA.

Sail, this is not directly pointed at you, I just wanted to point out that at least you tried to be nice about along with a few others. Then again look at the reply by Peety3.. grow up? Stop whining?

Comments like that are not needed overall.

I'm also diabetic, currently on pills but my PC is threatening to put me on injectables so the tap water in the room concerns me also. And no, I'll guarentee that the ship water isnt purer than my well water, no way no how. Its one of the reasons I drink mainly bottled water, now maybe the ship water is purer than some bottled waters. ;)

I'll say that some of you tried to help the OP, but I've seen time & time again people like Peety who just troll the boards & give this whole forum a really bad name. I'm also gonna be a first time cruiser & was sharing this forum with others I know are going on our group cruise.. but now I dont due to garbage like those specific responses.

Fricking "clickish" people & trolls. :mad:

Actually the Center for Disease Control REQUIRES that ship's water must be more pure than any well water.

Well water - regardless of where the well is located - contains many minerals, metallic ions, and some bacteria (mostly harmless - but not always).

Before the ship's water gets to you, it is passed through a ceramic filter that stops anything larger then a few microns; all bacteria and most mineral salts. Then the water is exposed to high intensity ultraviolet light that kills any living anything. When it comes out of the tap, it is absolutely pure.

We are required to monitor water quality every hour and keep logs for the CDC to Audit, to ensure that we constantly meet or exceed their extremely high standards. Any discrepancies or failures have dire results.

In Alaska right now there is a very strict new law governing the purity of treated waste water that ships are pumping into the sea. The ships are struggling (and succeeding) to meet the new standards, but when they tested fresh well water from Alaska wells, the "fresh well water" was not pure enough to meet the new waste water standards.

Then they tested the water from many Alaska rivers and streams running into the sea. Not one could pass the new Alaska standards.