ms statendam ????

zula

Hello,

I would like to cruise to Hawaii and the polynesian islands with HAL. The cruise I would be able to do is with is the ms Statendam. But when you read some of the reviews I doubt it sensible booking a cruise of 30 days on a ship which seems to have problems with odours and the airconditioning. I know a lot of people don't write reviews that why I'm asking any of you who have sailed the Statendam the last year if it is really so bad on the ship??

Thank you for any replies

Regards,

Sonja

Sonja-First, let me confess we have not sailed Statendam during the past year and here is why. It used to be our favorite ship and we sailed on it a number of times including to Hawaii and through the Panama Canal. Finally 3-4 years ago we gave up on it. Missing ports because of engine failure, a fire on board, and just general deterioration. I suspect it has not gotten much better. Crew was great and made valiant efforts but it is time for this ship to go.

Gary

Well, I haven't been on the Statendam, friends of ours were in December, 2013. They are well seasoned cruisers (but not regular posters here) so I think their experience is worthy to note.

First of all they reported that the crew was outstanding - very outstanding.

Unfortunately, this had to be balanced with what they considered to be poor food. While they didn't have issues, they overheard many complaining about the A/C and hot water.

They couldn't stop talking about the crew - they were fabulous.

Those were there experiences. hope it helps a bit.

We were on her last Oct. The ship was in good condition and the crew was great.

However, our cabin (midship Navigation deck) vibrated the entire cruise (it stopped when we docked) and was quite uncomfortable - we were not happy. Others on the ship did not experience anything, so it may be just a certain area.

DaveOKC

We sailed Statendam for the fourth time on the 30 day Hawaii and South Pacific voyage last October and had a wonderful experience. She is our favorite ship and we will be very sorry see her leave the fleet eventually.

There were some public areas that were a bit cool, but we didn't experience any problems with air conditioning or odors. There were some problems with plumbing leaks on the Navigation Deck, but they were taken care of very quickly. We had the best food ever on that cruise. I can't wait to sail on her again!

We just returned from sailing on the Statendam in January (see my CC review). It was a FABULOUS cruise. Yes, the ship is a bit old and in some ways a bit tired. We really enjoyed the smaller size ship but if you are looking for newer, fancier you won't find it on the Statendam.

We did notice odors but never in our cabin, there were no air-conditioning problems in our cabin either but it was warm in the afternoon, early evening on the starboard side due to sun (although we did pull the curtains)---the room never got quite as cold as we like.

I would cruise on her again!

We just returned from a 15 Panama transit cruise on the Statendam 1/30/14-2/14/14. We have sailed on her before the last overhaul for three weeks. The issues that were plaguing her before the refit such as poor AC, odours, engine trouble, elevators not working, Crows Nest in bad shape, broken tiles around the Lido deck, >>>>> were all gone except the odours. The bathrooms are much improved with everything new in them. All the elevators worked, no engine problems, AC worked perfectly. But the odours in the hall ways on the Lower P deck were there, NOT however in the room.

We cruised on the elegant Statendam in December 2013/January 2014. Our cabin was in very good condition, and the bathroom was nicely updated. Overall, the ship is in better condition than we expected for her age. We embarked knowing that she is about age 22 years. There were a few areas with plumbing leaks, but the crew members were working hard to promptly repair any issues. We had wonderful service in dining room and in cabin by attentive and gracious stewards. Food was delicious and abundant. We have been on three long cruises (27 days plus) on the Statendam and love this ship and her size. We will be very sorry if and when she eventually leaves the fleet. We would cruise on her again - gladly.

Hello,

I would like to thank all the people who responded. I was a bit worried by some of the bad reviews, but now I'm more likely to book the cruise to Hawaii and the french polynesian islands, if I can get the necessary vacation time as I'm still working.

Regards,

Sonja

I am feeling the same way, I have doubts about our upcoming cruise, the recent reviews are not good, smells in the hallway, hot cabins; I'm surprised with so many negative issues with the ship why don't they replace the AC system and fix the leaks. Why continue to have poor reviews. I am very concerned.