The beautiful beaches of St Thomas - brief descriptions/opinions

blue_water

Thanks Blue Water!

Huntris46, just wondering - in your opinion, is Sapphire Beach as beautiful and relaxing as Mullet Bay? Do you feel they are comparable? Is Sapphire Beach more rocky?

Hi 2bthereagain!

Saphire is as beautiful as mullet def!...i think mullet is more relaxing than saphire...more people are finding out about it so it's getting more crowded now.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

Yes Magens and Coki will be crowded, you'll have a very nice day at Sapphire. LOts of room to spread out and if you get there early lots of natural shade along the shore to choose.

Remember you can order great sandwiches and drinks right at the Banana Cabana beach grill, that is located between condo bldgs B & C. No need to wait for the beach runner from there and Sapphire Village unless you prefer something from the restaurant.

As far as rocks, the area to the right as you face the water by the freshwater pool is rocky and when we stay there I see more expert snorkelers out there diving for food. The reef starts close to shore on the right as well. In the center of the bay is a nice, sandy swimming area, recent storms may have shifted some sand and it may be a more gradual entry to the left. And further to the left of the swimming area is a seagrass area where rays and turtles can often be spotted.

We'll be renting there in a couple weeks and can't wait :)

Beautiful perfect day at Sapphire Beach. Thank you Blue Water for all the helpful information. Very easy. $10 pp cab ride. $9 each for chairs. $3 for two coffees with tip! Here on the Gem and the Summit was also in port. PLENTY of space and shade. Thank you for the wonderful suggestion! ImageUploadedByForums1421432829.076794.jpg.7378ec4c764728fd22d735a7193e2877.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

ImageUploadedByForums1421432805.338469.jpg.b0db5cbf73eb0f51497cd306e8921b40.jpg

Beautiful perfect day at Sapphire Beach. Thank you Blue Water for all the helpful information. Very easy. $10 pp cab ride. $9 each for chairs. $3 for two coffees with tip! Here on the Gem and the Summit was also in port. PLENTY of space and shade. Thank you for the wonderful suggestion! [ATTACH]336906[/ATTACH][ATTACH]336907[/ATTACH]

Beautiful!!!! Wish i was there...enjoy!!

Beautiful perfect day at Sapphire Beach. Thank you Blue Water for all the helpful information. Very easy. $10 pp cab ride. $9 each for chairs. $3 for two coffees with tip! Here on the Gem and the Summit was also in port. PLENTY of space and shade. Thank you for the wonderful suggestion! [ATTACH]336906[/ATTACH][ATTACH]336907[/ATTACH]

Glad you enjoyed Sapphire as much as we do mamagina! Nice pics, looks very calm. We'll be renting a condo there in a week and are looking forward to it! ;)

If there aren't cabs waiting at Sapphire is there someone that would call one for you? We are in port with 3 other ships so I am assuming that there will be cabs waiting. I am just thinking worse case scenario.

Edited by emilymad

We are cruising in March....at the beginning of this thread almost a year ago, it says the chair rental places had closed up and there were no public restrooms. Reading reviews on Tripadvisor, it looks like this may not be the case any longer. Has anyone been recently? TIA!

We are cruising in March....at the beginning of this thread almost a year ago, it says the chair rental places had closed up and there were no public restrooms. Reading reviews on Tripadvisor, it looks like this may not be the case any longer. Has anyone been recently? TIA!

Bathrooms chairs food drinks dive shop its all there for a great beach day!!

We went in November. Toilets were open. The local hotel had someone going up and down the beach taking drinks orders. It was really quiet when we arrived at around 10am, became more popular throughout the day but not what I would call busy... We rented a couple of beach chairs from a local "entrepreneur".

Some really good snorkelling to the right side of the beach (on the coral) as you look out to sea but also more snorkelling at the left end of the beach (more coral). In the green area (sea grass and sand) straight ahead you may see some stingrays and turtles too. Fantastic views of St John from the beach. Beach itself is great too, soft sand and cover from the trees as you can see below... That's the only beach we went to in St Thomas but imo it was fantastic.

Taxi drivers began queuing up to take people back to ship in the afternoon so they wait for a van full and then they head off. I'd leave at least an hour - hour and half to get back to ship, there were 6 ships in town but traffic could be an issue if you leave it too late. Takes around 30-40 mins to get there I'd say.

IMG_2154_zps678d62fe.jpg

Edited by dreadnought101

Not necessarily Runninggal, although Sapphire can be rougher when seas or wind are high.

You have several choices, although for shade Sapphire wins - no umbrellas but lots of natural shade. You've no doubt read what amenities are offered at each beach, and that Coki and Magens can be very busy/crowded or at least have a more "lively" vibe. Is that vibe for you? If so Coki or Magen's would be a good choice. Otherwise Sapphire would make more sense.

If snorkeling isn't a requirement other beaches like Morningstar, Lindbergh, and Magens are options with amenities. For us the East End beaches are just that much nicer but that is just our opinion, these other beaches are also very nice.

I think Sapphire is exactly what you are looking for. But another nice beach with a "real" restaurant and usually dead calm water and AA Divers renting chairs and umbrellasis Secret Harbor. The natural shade is usually reserved for condo guests so you'll want an umbrella. You can actually contact AA ahead of time (check their site for email) and reserve your chairs and umbrellas which is a good idea because they are much more limited than Sapphire.

I'm sure whatever beach you choose you will be happy!:)

Edited by blue_water

Running girl, Magens Bay Beach, Secret Harbor, and Coki are usually the calmest beaches because they are in coves. All have clear water, but Magens is the only one that isn't a snorkeling beach. All have food and chairs with Coki having a variety of eating options though they're mostly beach stalls or food vans. Magens and Secret Harbor have one eating facility each with Secret Harbor having the nicer facility.

Emerald Beach has at least 2 beach restaurants, and the water there is usually clear and calm. Not a good snorkeling beach.

I posted slide shows of all these beaches on every trail.com, but not sure if site still live. Posted under caribbean-island-adventures.

For the first-timer - and even a return visitor - there are indeed a ton of opinions about the various beaches, and we too are certainly biased in our rankings. But each beach has a unique or distinctive vibe or setting that can help one choose based on their situation that day. Some are located near a port while some take much more effort to get to but reward that effort.

The East End beaches of St Thomas are preferred by many who are looking for the nicest beach on STT. These include Coki, Smith's Bay, Sapphire, Secret Harbor, and Cowpet Bay (Coki and Smith's Bay are actually on the north side but are on the east end of the island). But others are also very nice and may work best if you have limited time or just want a nice beach to relax at that is closer to port and may be less crowded. And of course the beaches of St John are also gorgeous and should be experienced when possible. Trunk Bay, like Magens Bay, is highly-touted and so a bit touristy most days, but Cinnamon Bay and others less frequented are also beautiful.

For St Thomas -

Coki Point is a gorgeous beach set in a very small bay with good snorkeling off the beach. You'll find one of the nicest beaches you've seen here, but it will have a lively vibe as it gets very crowded. Several vendors renting stuff and selling food and drink. Taxis are readily available. We love Coki and find it a very intimate and romantic beach when ships are not in port.

Smith's Bay Park and Lindqvist Beach is a beautiful, maintained beach (both Smith's Bay Park and Magens Bay are maintained by the Magens Bay Authority and charge a small entry fee) but is much quieter and offers very few amenities. Here you would find natural beauty and relative quiet that you might have expected to see decades ago and not today. Grab your towel and a lunch and drinks from Gourmet Gallery and enjoy the beauty while it's still here. There may be chair rentals and portapotties there now, and you may need to have a taxi return for pick-up.

Sapphire Beach is a gorgeous beach in a larger bay with abundant natural shade, nice island views and great snorkeling off the beach. There is a reef area, a sandy swimming area, and a sea grass area where turtles and rays may be spotted. Home to 3 condo properties with food and drink options, but currently there are no chair rentals or public restrooms. So a very nice spot to be for condo guests on big ship days. And those cruisers young at heart (and body) that can be happy with a towel in the sand and the sapphire-colored sea for relief will be rewarded with paradise here. Taxis were stationed here but with fewer cruisers coming here you'll want to have the driver return or call a taxi when ready.

Secret Harbor is a small bay that is home to one condo property and has a quieter vibe more like Sapphire. However the water is dead calm at SH and there is no shade available to most day visitors. Good snorkeling and a restaurant on site and nice beach though.

Cowpet Bay is very close to Secret Harbor and is home to the Elysian Resort (condo resort) with a small beach and snorkeling. Primarily suited to guests of the condo but still a public beach.

Magens is on the north side and is a deep bay with a a nice, calm beach that's maintained (small entry fee) and is touted as one of the top 10 beaches in the Carib by Frommer's, cruise ships, etc. It has that rating for a reason, and it sees many people and so is touristy. No snorkeling here, and for some folks Magens doesn't have the charm or character some of the other beaches do. But it is a beautiful beach that is great for toddlers and kids because it is so dead calm, and it offers restrooms, small restaurant, a gift shop and available taxis.

Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) is closest to Crown Bay and is a popular beach for folks docking there. A nice enough beach with rentals and food and drinks available at the Best Western Emerald Beach Plus Resort. You can also rent a room for the day to take advantage of a shower and changing room. Nice option if Magens and the East End beaches are too much effort.

Honeymoon Beach on Water Island is another popular destination for folks docked at Crown Bay because the ferry to Water Island is very close. This beach has become very popular however and gets crowded during the day.

Morningstar Beach is closest to Havensight and is a popular spot for folks docking there who are looking for a quick beach stop following an excursion or other tour. Home to the Marriott and you can use their services or just pick a spot on the beach for your towel and take a lunch if you'd like.

Hopefully not confusing the choices even more! And here's a map showing the beach locations for those not familiar with the island, just click on the map for a larger view -

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com..._road_map.html

We will be in port on a day with only 2 ships, do you think Coki will be crowded, how much is taxi for 6 from Havensight to Coki and we are also considering Emerald, what would taxi cost to there. We are a family traveling with kids ages 9-15, would like a relaxing beach with snorkeling from the beach, lounge chairs, and some food options. We welcome any suggestions.

We will be in port on a day with only 2 ships, do you think Coki will be crowded, how much is taxi for 6 from Havensight to Coki and we are also considering Emerald, what would taxi cost to there. We are a family traveling with kids ages 9-15, would like a relaxing beach with snorkeling from the beach, lounge chairs, and some food options. We welcome any suggestions.

Yes, I would definitely expect Coki to be crowded. Otherwise Coki checks all of your boxes. If you'd prefer a less crowded beach I'd look st Sapphire or Secret Harbor. SH has a true restaurant on the beach, and I'm told that you can reserve umbrellas and lounges through AA Divers. sH is also a smaller bay and space and rentals can be in limited supply if you're not there early.

No snorkeling at Lindbergh (aka Emerald). Taxi to any snorkeling beach is ~$10pp each way.

Yes, I would definitely expect Coki to be crowded. Otherwise Coki checks all of your boxes. If you'd prefer a less crowded beach I'd look st Sapphire or Secret Harbor. SH has a true restaurant on the beach, and I'm told that you can reserve umbrellas and lounges through AA Divers. sH is also a smaller bay and space and rentals can be in limited supply if you're not there early.

No snorkeling at Lindbergh (aka Emerald). Taxi to any snorkeling beach is ~$10pp each way.

Blue Water,

Thank you so much, really appreciate the reply, we were planning Coral World and Coki as have kids that are intersted in it, maybe we will do the sea turtle and snorkling excursion instead as we have onboard credit to use. I dont really want a crowded beach, which Im sure is hard to find since we also want amenties. In July expect Coki to be crowded?

Any thoughts on beaches close to the port in tortola? It is also one of our stops although I'm seeing the dock may not be operational by July and some of the cruise lines are canceling it as a port. I'm sort of hoping it will cancel as I would rather take the kids to St Maarten and let them see the planes over Maho.

Blue Water,

Thank you so much, really appreciate the reply, we were planning Coral World and Coki as have kids that are intersted in it, maybe we will do the sea turtle and snorkling excursion instead as we have onboard credit to use. I dont really want a crowded beach, which Im sure is hard to find since we also want amenties. In July expect Coki to be crowded?

Any thoughts on beaches close to the port in tortola? It is also one of our stops although I'm seeing the dock may not be operational by July and some of the cruise lines are canceling it as a port. I'm sort of hoping it will cancel as I would rather take the kids to St Maarten and let them see the planes over Maho.

Yes I'm sure folks living on STT will say that July is much quieter, but with 2 ships in port Coki can get crowded (or at leasy a little busy) only because it's such a small bay. I don't think it would be too crowded to enjoy, but everyone is different. It is a good choice for snorkeling with kids. The ship excursion is also a great option.

For Tortola yes, they're updating the pier to accept more/larger cruise ships and the completion date is still unknown. That makes it difficult for folks to plan excursions there for sure. If you're lucky and you do get to hit Tortola the Baths on Virgin Gorda is a unique excursion. But if you have to tender from the ship your time in port can be cut shorter and a beach on Tortola is a good choice.

The nicest beaches with amenities are Cane Garden Bay and Brewers Bay. CGB is a larger bay with several beach bars/restaurants but no snorkeling and will be packed with people. When we stay there we see many of the larger safari taxis unloading a horde so it is a spectacle. Brewers has 1 beach bar (Nicole's) with food/drink, lounges, and snorkel gear and is less busy. Both are a 20 - 25 min taxi and $8pp each way.

Our favorite beach is Smuggler's Cove but no amenities. Nearby Long Bay is a picture postcard beautiful beach but the resort has closed so not sure about the beach restaurant.

I understand wanting the kids to see Maho, if you go hopefully there will be flights arriving and departing.