Land Excursions - Regatta Alaska

reanns

I would very much like to arrange my own land excursions during my 10-day Alaska cruise the first of August.

Ports of Call are Sitka, Haines, Juneau, Icy Strait Point, Wrangell and Victoria, BC. Would very much apprecaite any suggestions of tour operators, what to seeand what to miss and any other thoughts and ideas.

PS - Does anyone know what inidivual drinks and bottles of wine cost onboard if you don't buy a Beverage package?

Thanks in advance!

I would very much like to arrange my own land excursions during my 10-day Alaska cruise the first of August.

Ports of Call are Sitka, Haines, Juneau, Icy Strait Point, Wrangell and Victoria, BC. Would very much apprecaite any suggestions of tour operators, what to seeand what to miss and any other thoughts and ideas.

PS - Does anyone know what inidivual drinks and bottles of wine cost onboard if you don't buy a Beverage package?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to cruise critic. We are doing basically the same itin on Regatta in June. I found a lot of info in the Ports of call section. Scroll down to the bottom of the "Boards" section. Click on Alaska and peruse the offerings. In Sitka we are just doing a DIY walking the town etc. Icy Strait we are doing a 3 hour whale watch, Wrangell a boat trip up the Stikine River to Shakes Glacier. In Juneau we will ride the tram up Mt Roberts then we are going to Mendenhall Glacier. I have compared all our excursions to the same ones offered on the ship and we are savings hundreds $$$$ doing it on our own.

Also sin up for the "Roll Call" for your sailing. There you will meet up with folks on your cruise. Someone will chime in to give you a link as I am not computer savvy enough to do this. Have fun doing your research, it's half the fun just planning.

Personally we do the premium drinks package. Drinks are about $9, my wine is $13.82 per 5 oz glass with the 18% tip added. In general to make the package worth it you would probably have 4-5 drinks per day. Depends on your saturation level:D

Welcome to CC. Though it is like very quiet I suggest you at least post a hello on your Roll Call. See the roll call section vs. the 'cruise line' section of the main board and navigate to your sailing. You might find fellow Pax to join with tours or have info on things to do.

A problem for independent travelers with Alaska is that many of the tour providers are on contract for exclusive service to the cruise lens so your options for independent tours / guides in many ports is restricted. That said do check on the Ports of Call board for suggestions but do give them the dates & times you ill be in the ports for best advice.

As for Victoria Buchart Gardens is a great stop but based on timing you might have to take a ship's tour here too. I've see quite a few cruise lines that stop there for only a few hours or late at night just to circumvent USA cruise ship protection restrictions. Victoria is also nice stop to just wander the harbour area if you are toured out.

I will be on regatta in June. This will be our second Alaska cruise and each time I arranged my own excursions. Unlike in other places, u don't need to form a group. You can book with tour operators and they form the group. Some operators (eg Harv and marv in Juneau ) must be booked early.

A few trips you won't want to miss. Fly to the top of a glacier and have a hour or so to walk around. Also we took a small (very small sea plane) to a river lodge, had a great lunch on salmon (that they were catching from the river, grilling outside), really great side trip and lots of fun.

Rick

You are going to read and hear a lot of boy you must do this or that. They are all subjectively based on he person giving the advice. You would have a great time if you were them.

In short there are NO must see or do in Alaska and no must do tours or operators.

Sit down and ask of yourself, what is it that attracts me to Alaska...What is it I want to achieve from my trip....your goals ,your dreams.

Then with YOUR wants and needs well understood...do some research on those ports...what strikes you, interests you, excites you. That reanns is the key to your happiness and enjoyment.

All us will tell you what we liked but we are not YOU...follow your instinct and heart....it will be right and better than anything any of us will be able to do.

Welcome to CC. Though it is like very quiet I suggest you at least post a hello on your Roll Call. See the roll call section vs. the 'cruise line' section of the main board and navigate to your sailing. You might find fellow Pax to join with tours or have info on things to do.

A problem for independent travelers with Alaska is that many of the tour providers are on contract for exclusive service to the cruise lens so your options for independent tours / guides in many ports is restricted. That said do check on the Ports of Call board for suggestions but do give them the dates & times you ill be in the ports for best advice.

As for Victoria Buchart Gardens is a great stop but based on timing you might have to take a ship's tour here too. I've see quite a few cruise lines that stop there for only a few hours or late at night just to circumvent USA cruise ship protection restrictions. Victoria is also nice stop to just wander the harbour area if you are toured out.

All the Regatta sailings stopping in Victoria will be in port 10-11 hours. Arrival at noon departure at 11pm so plenty of time for Butchart and to peruse the city, even in the evening when they say it is quite nice.

I have had no problem booking our independent tours at all. The only port there is a problem (and we don't go there) is Skagway for the White Pass Railroad where O books the train.

We used Glacier Wind Charters for a whale watch cruise. It is owned by two retired schoolteachers and the experience was wonderful. In Victoria,we arrived in the evening and took the ships tour as we wanted to maximize our time at the Gardens - it was basically an expensive shuttle ride, but as it is a fair distance, was less expensive than a taxi.

Sitka is a great place to just walk around - the national park with lots of totem poles is only a few blocks away from where the tender dropped us and the churches and shops a few blocks away in the other direction.

In Juneau, it was pouring - we were going to take the local tourist bus to Mendenhall Glacier, but had been there before in better weather, so we went to the State Museum, which was pretty interesting.

We booked a number of excursions prior to our cruise, some w/ Oceania (White Pass Railway) and some independent. The one excursion that we really wanted to do in Juneau was the helicopter tour, landing on the glacier. We waited until the day we docked to make our final decision because the weather was so iffy (even in August). The sky was totally socked in until noon and then we were able to get a walk-up helicopter tour for 1/2 the price of one that would have been booked in advance. Just a thought since the weather in Alaska can change drastically - even during the same day.

You are going to read and hear a lot of boy you must do this or that. They are all subjectively based on he person giving the advice. You would have a great time if you were them.

In short there are NO must see or do in Alaska and no must do tours or operators.

Sit down and ask of yourself, what is it that attracts me to Alaska...What is it I want to achieve from my trip....your goals ,your dreams.

Then with YOUR wants and needs well understood...do some research on those ports...what strikes you, interests you, excites you. That reanns is the key to your happiness and enjoyment.

All us will tell you what we liked but we are not YOU...follow your instinct and heart....it will be right and better than anything any of us will be able to do.

Sorry but this just isn't true---How many times in your life will you be able to walk on top of a glacier. True you'll want to do what's best for you, but really!

Rick

Sorry but this just isn't true---How many times in your life will you be able to walk on top of a glacier. True you'll want to do what's best for you, but really!

Rick

Plus 1

Good recommendations are one of the great strengths of these boards. Imagine if we all answered with "do your research."

Posting from peaceful and fascinating Cairo.

Plus 1

Good recommendations are one of the great strengths of these boards. Imagine if we all answered with "do your research."

Posting from peaceful and fascinating Cairo.

Was wondering if you actually got there. Have a wonderful trip Laraine Deb

Rick

I agree. The OP wanted some opinions and ideas from others who have been there. I found this board to have a plethora of info and am so grateful to all who have helped me in my "research". I am my own person and I know what I want but a little guidance from others does not hurt. Over the years we have saved thousands of dollars from info gleaned on this site and have been guided to some things we may have never seen in our own "research". Don't know where you are coming from Dan:confused:

Was wondering if you actually got there. Have a wonderful trip Laraine Deb

Hi Deb

We are here and loving it

Very few tourists of course -- bad for the Egyptian people but good for us

We have received a heartfelt welcome everywhere we have gone

We have the sites and those adorable camels to ourselves