Loaner jackets for formal night?

theloo

I wonder which came first?

Was it that people stopped taking care about their appearance and dressed for a 'special night'?

Or was the 'special night' less special so people stopped dressing in true formal wear?

Interesting question. I do think the change in the style of dress goes beyond the microcosm of cruising. However, I do not think that people necessarily care less about their appearance simply because they don't dress formally.

I think that it is also a function of where you live.

We moved from an Eastern city to west coast city and then to a western city. We found significant variances in dress- in business, formal, and casual settings between the cities.

It certainly had an impact on us now that we have been in the west for so long.

Perhaps not as much now that business casual is more common but we certainly see it.

Oddly enough, we really noticed the differences at church, funerals, visitations, and weddings.

Edited by iancal

The MDR is nothing special, even on formal nights.

Just find your way to the Lido- it is not worth the bother. It is only for a few nights during the cruise.

Exactly...Why bother wearing an 18 oz jacket, and having pesky annoying waiters waiting on you while on vacation?

When you can go to a cafeteria stand on line, and grab your own grub

Edited by Wakepatrol

Exactly...Why bother wearing an 18 oz jacket, and having pesky annoying waiters waiting on you while on vacation?

When you can go to a cafeteria stand on line, and grab your own grub

Exactly ... and don't forget to fill your glass with 2-Buck Chuck before leaving your room :rolleyes:

We are having the same discussion regarding our June cruise. We are staying 5 days post cruise and need to travel light as we are using the train and busses to travel. We have decided to find an old Jacket from the back of the closet or buy one from Goodwill and then leave it behind. This is cheaper than renting a tux and I will not be over dressed due to the need to pack light. We don't want to eat at the Lido as we enjoy the MDR. This is our solution.