Tipping Butler in the Suites

Cruzin Fool

I read on another thread that since the butler and concierge are outside of the $12 a day charge you can use your OBC for their tips? The thread that mentioned this said that when he talked to the guest services the person at the desk didn't know this but asked another manager who said yes the OBC could be used for this?

Anyone have any experience using OBC? This is our first cruise and as luck has it we have a lot of OBC because of using AMEX, etc. for only the two of us. I thought this would be a good use of that OBC since we probably won't need to drink or eat quite that much!!

We recently used our OBC to tip the butler and concierge. The person at guest services was not familiar with this but I knew from cruise critic that this could be done. They had to ask a manager but it worked out fine.

I just took the time to review the UK site and yes unlike the US site no mention of tipping those not included in the Service Charge including butlers, concierge, or kids crew :confused:

I hope you're not suggesting that Brits are tight!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We recently used our OBC to tip the butler and concierge. The person at guest services was not familiar with this but I knew from cruise critic that this could be done. They had to ask a manager but it worked out fine.

Good to know that the OBC can be used..............thanks for the tip:)

Thank you everyone for the advice! It was helpful to see the range that is paid. This way I can walk off of the ship feeling good that I gave an appropriate amount.

It was interesting to read the comments on whether to suite or not to suite... We have always opted not to. In this case it was only $500 more to book the DOS over two interior cabins (at the time we booked). All of the extra perks were a great value to us for the extra $500. Not to mention 800 square feet of space compared to around 250 in two interior cabins. For us it was a no-brainer. Our "kids" are all 17 years old and will hardly ever be in the cabin. The most they will request from the butler will probably be sodas and some occasional snacks. We never eat in our cabin so there will not be any meal deliveries - we are very on-the-go types. We're low maintenance but I'm sure we will thoroughly enjoy being spoiled by the butler.

Thanks again for all of your input. I'm looking forward to some good old R&R!!!

Yes, I thought that also, but those butlers are tricky people! :D I've only sailed once with a butler on our honeymoon cruise on another cruiseline.

There was no concierge on this particular cruise, but the first morning he took care of any shore excursions we hadn't pre-booked and gave his recommendations.

By the 2nd day (at afternoon tea) he noticed I didn't drink coffee, so brought me a pot of hot chocolate (this was Alaska) every afternoon. A simple comment by DH that he enjoyed the salmon canapes ensured he served DH various forms of salmon all week.

He also noticed we had gotten a "honeymoon package" from family (robes, champagne, flutes). He presented us with another bottle of champagne with his compliments.

We decided to have dinner en suite the second formal night. While dithering between lobster and prime rib, he said "No problem!" and brought both.

We also spoke at length about where he was from, his family and he shared a photo of his baby daughter.

Now...I can be Ms. Cynical. Maybe he lifted an unused bottle of champagne from another cabin; maybe the picture of "baby daughter" came with his wallet...:D;) But he helped make our week "special" and we tipped above our original expectations.

I have never thought butlers try and sway you for tip. They are on the ship for months at a time and miss their families. They also become familiar with you so they can make your cruise better. For all the people who say they are low maintenance or not in the suite much, they are in for a surprise. The reason for a suite is so you can enjoy your suite more, and you will end up using the butler for snacks breakfast etc. It is more convenient for some ports to have breakfast or dinner in your suite. I know I love my suites and tip my butler not because they "work" me but because they make my cruise much more enjoyable. They give you helpful hints in ports and do so much more than just bring you food.

I have never thought butlers try and sway you for tip. They are on the ship for months at a time and miss their families. They also become familiar with you so they can make your cruise better. For all the people who say they are low maintenance or not in the suite much, they are in for a surprise. The reason for a suite is so you can enjoy your suite more, and you will end up using the butler for snacks breakfast etc. It is more convenient for some ports to have breakfast or dinner in your suite. I know I love my suites and tip my butler not because they "work" me but because they make my cruise much more enjoyable. They give you helpful hints in ports and do so much more than just bring you food.

I agree with you. Once I discovered the suite life I found I enjoyed some aspects I had never considered before. After a long port day it is wonderful dining ensuite. In pajamas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I apologize for my Ms. Cynical remark - it wasn't fair as I've never had less than stellar service on my cruises with/without a butler. :o I shall work harder on beating Ms. Cynical down. ;)

I applaud the sacrifices staff make in being away from their families for extended periods and hopefully, thank them accordingly via verbal thanks, $$, and comment cards.

We were wondering the same thing!!! We will be in Penthouse Suite, it's sounds like tipping at least 100-150 is acceptable and then add or deduct according to how much you used him and how good he served you. Maybe we will see you in The Haven!!!

I agree with you. Once I discovered the suite life I found I enjoyed some aspects I had never considered before. After a long port day it is wonderful dining ensuite. In pajamas.

We will be in a suite for the first time (can't wait!). When you order dinner in your suite, are you supposed to order it by a certain time?

We will be in a suite for the first time (can't wait!). When you order dinner in your suite, are you supposed to order it by a certain time?

Not really. But I take into account the butler may have several suites to accomodate.

I usually get in from port. Look at menu and order figuring at leadt an hour or 2, the I take a soak or shower and settle in.

Love it.

Not really. But I take into account the butler may have several suites to accomodate.

I usually get in from port. Look at menu and order figuring at leadt an hour or 2, the I take a soak or shower and settle in.

Love it.

Thanks for the info and quick response!

Indeed - my guess is that the butlers and such like receive additional payments for travellers from the UK, out of their fare.

I have just priced up a cruise in a haven suite for a cruise in May and it is £100/ $166 more per day per person if booked in the UK, which I am sure must go towards the butler / concierge....

That $166 surely does not go to butler/conc. Maybe some of it indirectly in a higher salary that stewards, etc.

UK prices do not match the U.S. for some other reasons, some of which are tied to laws about travel that do not apply to U.S. passengers. Prices may also reflect the market.

That $166 surely does not go to butler/conc. Maybe some of it indirectly in a higher salary that stewards, etc.

UK prices do not match the U.S. for some other reasons, some of which are tied to laws about travel that do not apply to U.S. passengers. Prices may also reflect the market.

Quite sure it does not all go to them as you say.

But this would be one of the reasons why they might not get extra from UK travellers. For many people unless the cruise line spells it out, they will simply not know and will therefore not tip extra.

Yes, I thought that also, but those butlers are tricky people! :D I've only sailed once with a butler on our honeymoon cruise on another cruiseline.

There was no concierge on this particular cruise, but the first morning he took care of any shore excursions we hadn't pre-booked and gave his recommendations.

By the 2nd day (at afternoon tea) he noticed I didn't drink coffee, so brought me a pot of hot chocolate (this was Alaska) every afternoon. A simple comment by DH that he enjoyed the salmon canapes ensured he served DH various forms of salmon all week.

He also noticed we had gotten a "honeymoon package" from family (robes, champagne, flutes). He presented us with another bottle of champagne with his compliments.

We decided to have dinner en suite the second formal night. While dithering between lobster and prime rib, he said "No problem!" and brought both.

We also spoke at length about where he was from, his family and he shared a photo of his baby daughter.

Now...I can be Ms. Cynical. Maybe he lifted an unused bottle of champagne from another cabin; maybe the picture of "baby daughter" came with his wallet...:D;) But he helped make our week "special" and we tipped above our original expectations.

Have to agree with you; over my 30+ cruises I've heard a lot of stories from the crew (or other passengers relating stories) that felt like they were trolling for extra tips. I'm not looking for new friends or someone to support; just looking for someone to do the job they are being paid for and I will tip appropriately. In saying that, I was not disappointed with my Butler on the Jewell, even though I only asked for a pitcher of water daily and cookies once (a ruse to get him there to give him his tip).

We used the standard budget plan of $100 for Butler and $50 for Concierge going into our cruise. Our Butler was a huge disapointment. We only really saw him twice during the entire cruise. We called him twice for help, and he referred us to the Room Steward. Yes, we did get our snacks at night, minus one night when nothing showed up. Yes, we did get one breakfast that he delievered. The Concierge was amazing! He met us for shows and made all of our reservations for dinner and shows as our Interactive TV was not working. He would leave us messages about port times and even was able to get us off the ship first so we could get to a tour that we had booked independently. So, for our Concierge that was always there for us, he was tipped more than our plan of $50. For the Butler, he was a huge disapointment. I decreased our tip tremendously as I don't believe in handing out money for free. Then on debarkation day, we couldn't even find him. Haden't seen him since the first day in port anyway, so we ended up leaving with with his tip in an envelope in my pocket. Maybe people really do have amazing Butler's, but ours was a disapointment. We were in a Haven Spa Suite, which is not in the Haven, so perhaps the Butler service in these rooms is not as good as in the Haven itself.

We used the standard budget plan of $100 for Butler and $50 for Concierge going into our cruise. Our Butler was a huge disapointment. We only really saw him twice during the entire cruise. We called him twice for help, and he referred us to the Room Steward. Yes, we did get our snacks at night, minus one night when nothing showed up. Yes, we did get one breakfast that he delievered. The Concierge was amazing! He met us for shows and made all of our reservations for dinner and shows as our Interactive TV was not working. He would leave us messages about port times and even was able to get us off the ship first so we could get to a tour that we had booked independently. So, for our Concierge that was always there for us, he was tipped more than our plan of $50. For the Butler, he was a huge disapointment. I decreased our tip tremendously as I don't believe in handing out money for free. Then on debarkation day, we couldn't even find him. Haden't seen him since the first day in port anyway, so we ended up leaving with with his tip in an envelope in my pocket. Maybe people really do have amazing Butler's, but ours was a disapointment. We were in a Haven Spa Suite, which is not in the Haven, so perhaps the Butler service in these rooms is not as good as in the Haven itself.

Which ship were you on with this subpar butler?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Wow. That sounds disappointing! My baseline plan for tipping is the same as yours - give or take depending on service. This will be our first suite!

I have never been in the Haven in any of my suites & I've been in 14 suites. I don't need them to be my friends but I appreciate how nice they are & if they get to know you they know your likes & dislikes. Seems to me if you just want them to do their job you lose out.

We were upgraded to an OS on the Pearl from a mini suite for our first suite experience. We really took the upgrade for the additional benefits more than the butler or concierge. There are many benefits you get in a suite but one of the best in my mind is the upgraded "Bliss" bed and bedding (it is phenomenal). We did use the butler for a few meals in our room and a few other minimal requests. We did not use the concierge much but he did give me a private tour of the bridge when I missed the original tour time. We did tip our butler and concierge $100 each and also gave our room steward $100 as he was awesome. We will be in the DOS next week on the Breakaway:). As many others have said, once you have been in a suite it is difficult to go back.

I think you did the right thing. It is unfortunate that some might feel that the tip is a given and they should get it no matter the service. I hope you reported the lack of service to NCL, so that they will make sure that it didn't happen to another cruiser.

One thing I have not read mentioned in this posting that we look at too. For us, the mere fact the Butler and Concierge are always (or for the most part always) available for us to use their services. We were on the Dawn in a Aft Penthouse suite and the only time we ever requested anything from the Butler was to make sure we had soda's in the fridge and creamer for my coffee. Other than that we did not ask him for anything. He did stop by our cabin three or four times that cruise to see if he could do anything for us. On the last night of the cruise we asked him to stop by the cabin and we gave him a thank you card with his tip included. He literally refused the tip, saying we did not let him do anything for us. It really took a lot of talking to him to get him to accept it. We kept explaining to him that for us, the mere fact we could have picked up the phone and called him has a value to us.

And if you will indulge me to tell one other incident, our first cruise on the Star, last morning of the cruise, our cabin phone rang at 6:15AM and it was the Butler. He said he had to see us right away and he was just outside our cabin could he come in. Before we could even get clothes on he came in through the door and told us he was having to leave the ship on an "emergency" and could he collect his tip. We just happen to have his tip right there on a desk in a thank you envelope so while draped in the bed spread I grabbed it, handed it to him, and he left. I was in such shock I didn't know what to do. Within a minute of him leaving there was a knock on the door and it was our room steward who came in and apologized for the Butler doing that and told us he had called security on the Butler.. that the Butler had been dismissed and was told to leave the ship as soon as we docked. He said he had tried to stop him from coming into the rooms but couldn't. OTHER than that guy, the Butlers have always been AMAZING.

As far as amounts, as most have said, as you can do is suggest. People are going to tip what they want to or what they can, or not tip at all. Unless you have had bad service, I don't honestly understand how you could leave no tip at all, but that is just me.

That is not to say we have not had bad experiences. On one of the cruises (sorry I don't remember which ones) the Concierge was HORRIBLE. To the point he basically told us that we were lying about something that NCL's corporate office had told us. You can tell me that what I was told was wrong, but don't tell me I'm lying about it. I have no reason to lie. I do believe we did not tip him anything.

As others have stated before we board the ship we board with a dollar amount for the Butler and Concierge per person per day and we adjust from there. And, even though the Room Steward is apart of the DSC, we ALWAYS have tipped them extra because we find they do as much to make our vacation special as anyone.

I will never understand the idea of taking one cruise for the price that 2 or 3 would be (on the same ship, even!) simply so that someone can bring me food and stuff. I'm at a loss. I do understand when it's larger families wanting or needing the space.

For us it has more to do with we can only take off so many weeks a year from work and those weeks are usually limited to when they can be taken (for my partner at least). So rather than taking multiple cruises we like to make ours as special to us as we can and the room we get in a suite and the special services and dining fit us perfectly. When we are retired that will most likely change since we will be able to take more cruises in a year, at that point. Really.. its as simple as "to each his own".

I have never ever felt like a butler made me feel bad for asking them for something. They bend over backwards for you and are on duty 12hrs or more.

I had to post the above about the Butler literally refusing our tip after reading your post. Overall they are wonderful additions to our vacation.

One thing I have not read mentioned in this posting that we look at too. For us, the mere fact the Butler and Concierge are always (or for the most part always) available for us to use their services. We were on the Dawn in a Aft Penthouse suite and the only time we ever requested anything from the Butler was to make sure we had soda's in the fridge and creamer for my coffee. Other than that we did not ask him for anything. He did stop by our cabin three or four times that cruise to see if he could do anything for us. On the last night of the cruise we asked him to stop by the cabin and we gave him a thank you card with his tip included. He literally refused the tip, saying we did not let him do anything for us. It really took a lot of talking to him to get him to accept it. We kept explaining to him that for us, the mere fact we could have picked up the phone and called him has a value to us.

And if you will indulge me to tell one other incident, our first cruise on the Star, last morning of the cruise, our cabin phone rang at 6:15AM and it was the Butler. He said he had to see us right away and he was just outside our cabin could he come in. Before we could even get clothes on he came in through the door and told us he was having to leave the ship on an "emergency" and could he collect his tip. We just happen to have his tip right there on a desk in a thank you envelope so while draped in the bed spread I grabbed it, handed it to him, and he left. I was in such shock I didn't know what to do. Within a minute of him leaving there was a knock on the door and it was our room steward who came in and apologized for the Butler doing that and told us he had called security on the Butler.. that the Butler had been dismissed and was told to leave the ship as soon as we docked. He said he had tried to stop him from coming into the rooms but couldn't. OTHER than that guy, the Butlers have always been AMAZING.

As far as amounts, as most have said, as you can do is suggest. People are going to tip what they want to or what they can, or not tip at all. Unless you have had bad service, I don't honestly understand how you could leave no tip at all, but that is just me.

That is not to say we have not had bad experiences. On one of the cruises (sorry I don't remember which ones) the Concierge was HORRIBLE. To the point he basically told us that we were lying about something that NCL's corporate office had told us. You can tell me that what I was told was wrong, but don't tell me I'm lying about it. I have no reason to lie. I do believe we did not tip him anything.

As others have stated before we board the ship we board with a dollar amount for the Butler and Concierge per person per day and we adjust from there. And, even though the Room Steward is apart of the DSC, we ALWAYS have tipped them extra because we find they do as much to make our vacation special as anyone.

For us it has more to do with we can only take off so many weeks a year from work and those weeks are usually limited to when they can be taken (for my partner at least). So rather than taking multiple cruises we like to make ours as special to us as we can and the room we get in a suite and the special services and dining fit us perfectly. When we are retired that will most likely change since we will be able to take more cruises in a year, at that point. Really.. its as simple as "to each his own".

I had to post the above about the Butler literally refusing our tip after reading your post. Overall they are wonderful additions to our vacation.

Was that Star cruise fall of 2011? If it was I know that butler and was glad to see him sent home. Only butler I did not tip ever. Had an aft penthouse on the Canal cruise to Tampa.

Terry I have to agree with you about most butlers, I had one butler so upset that I didn't need him for a few days of a 12day cruise, he would stop by my suite and say "are you sure you don't need me" he even brought things when I didn't ask. A great butler is the best thing going. I also had one horrible concierge who never did anything and complained if I asked for some help. Yet on the last full day he was all over where I was lol. I guess it's a crap shoot but I would say the butlers are almost always the best. I can't believe the butler came to your suite and asked for his tip, oh well. Life goes on lol