Crab shack on emerald

bigguy6

Is this on any other ships besides Royal, Regal and Emerald?

Thanks

We enjoyed the food and service at the "Crab Shack" during our Panama Canel cruise in October. On the Island, the shack was set up in the Horizon Court so there was no actual stand alone restaurant. Our group noticed an announcement for the Crab Shack in a daily platter and decided to try it. The wait staff were dressed, in what I guess, we're seafaring outfits. Regardless, they had fun with the concept and provided excellent service and dining advice on how to order. Each couple split an entree and we eached ordered something different, then shared... and there was plenty of food to share. The food was very good, although we all thought the snow crab was the most delicious item. There was a $20 up charge but by the time we finished eating and laughing with our wait staff we thought it was well worth the price. We saw the Platter announcement several other times during our cruise and enjoyed the experience one additional evening. (We all ordered the snow crab bucket)

I hope someone else will go soon and report back on the king crab.

I know it has to get better than what we had on the Ruby two weeks ago as I think that had been frozen since Princess launched the original Pacific Princess.

Mike:)

Hi Mike

Will be on the Ruby in a couple of weeks for 5 nights

How many nights was the crab shack offered?

Where can I find this information after we board?

Sharon

Hi Mike

Will be on the Ruby in a couple of weeks for 5 nights

How many nights was the crab shack offered?

Where can I find this information after we board?

Sharon

It was offered on two occasions and both times it was listed in a special small box ad in the patter.

Mike:)

Our family of four went last month on the Grand Princess - here's my thoughts. I would do it again, and next time would probably share with DH. DH was the only one who listened to our waiters recommendations and got the Royal Mixed Steamer Pot - it looked AWESOME, with King crab, snow crab, muscles and all kinds of stuff. The rest of us got the "King Crab", when we first got them the three of us said, "where's the crab" jokingly and our waiter said right away "I'll bring you some more" (which he did).

It was good, but the bottom was filled with a TON of spicy peel and eat shrimp - just kind of a waste as you can usually find tons of peel and eat shrimp on the cruise. Our king crab tended to be smaller pieces. I was jealous of DH with his big clusters of snow crab - lol. Even his King Crab looked bigger and better. I can't remember the other stuff that came, but like I said, it was good and I would do it again, I would just get the mixed steamer pot personally.

Happy Cruising Everyone!

Tammy

• 1 month later...

We just got off the Emerald Princess March 29th, 10 day sailing, and did the Crab Shack on the last sea day.

I must admit to being a bit bored of Princess Dining in general, and we just couldn't face dinner every night in the noisy dining room, so we thought we'd give it a try.

First of all, there is no Lobster, scallops or peeled shrimp offered. The Maitre D' had said there were, when he was trying to get me to book. Ha!!

No luck.

First you are given a basket of hush-puppes and large battered shrimp, followed by a bowl of Clam chowder. There is no choice here. These are just delivered to the table. Battered (Popcorn) shrimp were excellent.

We ordered the crab legs, and got two large bowls for the 3 of us. Each bowl serves 2, technically. Underneath the crab, was at least a pound and a half of peel and eat shrimp. Lots of it. Personally I find 'peel and eat' shrimp to be messy and tiresome. The whole thing was sort of like a New England Boil. There were potatoes and corn on the cob in the pot as well. Overall lots of food...but for some reason, not much flavour. Almost all of the shrimp was left and that seemed to be the norm for all the tables. So much waste!

Butter and shellfish crackers were provided, as was a large bib to wear and Crab Shack paper table cloths.

Dessert was a choice of two items, a chocolate Opera torte, or an apple pie.

I suggested perhaps they could bring less to the tables initially, and pass seconds throughout the meal. Less waste that way...or French Service from the get go....just ideas.

The highlight of the evening was the host, Dennis, who made my mom a darling ballet dancer out of tinfoil, whom he twirled around a dinner plate, on an ice cube. These guys are talented in wild ways!

So, Crab Shack is not a bad idea, but we REALLY missed being able to have dinner each night in the Caribe Cafe. We always loved the evening ambiance in there, as compared to the dining room and horizon court. Caribe is no longer open, and Crab Shack, at $20pp is offered 3x during the cruise. If you have dinner in the Horizon Court, the food is fine, but you must still eat on those nautical plastic platters, and there are no wine glasses and folded linen napkins like the Caribe had in the past. At least they could come up with white Corel dinner plates for the evening, I would think.

Having tried Sabatinis, and not been thrilled (lots of tiny dishes), and not being big meat eaters for the Crown Grill....you are just about out of luck.

Dining room or Horizon Court are your only real choices on the 'included' side of things.

That's just my two cents. Crab Shack is good for crab. I might be inclinded to tell them to forget the peel and eat shrimp and just bring crab. Also, the popcorn shirmp are wonderful. Very fat and with a light tempura batter.

Happy Cruising everyone!

Our family of four went last month on the Grand Princess - here's my thoughts. I would do it again, and next time would probably share with DH. DH was the only one who listened to our waiters recommendations and got the Royal Mixed Steamer Pot - it looked AWESOME, with King crab, snow crab, muscles and all kinds of stuff. The rest of us got the "King Crab", when we first got them the three of us said, "where's the crab" jokingly and our waiter said right away "I'll bring you some more" (which he did).

It was good, but the bottom was filled with a TON of spicy peel and eat shrimp - just kind of a waste as you can usually find tons of peel and eat shrimp on the cruise. Our king crab tended to be smaller pieces. I was jealous of DH with his big clusters of snow crab - lol. Even his King Crab looked bigger and better. I can't remember the other stuff that came, but like I said, it was good and I would do it again, I would just get the mixed steamer pot personally.

Happy Cruising Everyone!

Tammy

Can you tell me where they had the Crab Shack on the Grand please, did they have a corner of Horizon Court?

Edited by CCFC

They closed down the Caribe Cafe?

What did they make that space into?

The crab shack 3 nights on a ten day cruise and it sits empty the rest of the time.

It was the evening buffet area in Nov/Dec but that has changed since then.

Agree with Olwyn.....nice meal but too much waste.

Edited by chrysalis