Formal attire: Rank most formal to most casual cruise lines

bakingem

From reading on CC, I've learned that many people don't really adhere to "formal attire suggested" for formal nights anymore. I'm not really interested in the merits of whether that's good or bad, but after seeing all the posts on the fashion board where so many ladies are wearing gowns on their cruises, it made me curious. I'd love to hear:

From most formal to most casual, how would you rank the cruise lines you've been on based on how many people actually where truly formal attire? For this question, I'll define "formal" as gowns or very fancy cocktail dresses and tuxes or at least suit and tie.

We're going on our first cruise in August from Galveston on RCI, and I'm guessing it will be one of the most casual lines from my perusal of the forum, but I have no idea really. I think it would be fun someday to go on a cruise where everyone dressed formal often, though DH might not love that idea quite as much as me. :D

DCL Magic I'd say people were 80% in tux/dark suit and tie and gown or cocktail attire, >15% in sports coat with button down shirt and in some cases tie and "Easter Sunday" dresses, and a few others wearing whatever.

DCL Dream--3 Day, no formal night. Anything went.

RCCL Mariner, I'd say people were 70% in tux/dark suit and tie and gown or cocktail attire, 20% in sports coat with button down shirt and in some cases tie and "Easter Sunday" dresses, and 10% wearing "whatever."

Windstar Wind Surf, every night is elegant casual, 100% compliance by passengers. Lot's of slacks/chinos/linen trousers for men with Oxfords, polo's, and Tommy Bahama style shirts. Ladies were everything from elegant sundresses to LBD's and anything in between. A lot of Eileen Fisher, Ralph Lauren, Tommy Bahama, Hilfiger, Ann Taylor, etc. Lot's of accessorizing.

Celebrity, Hal, Princess, Disney, Rci, Carnival, Ncl. Mind you...the "suggested dress" on most lines is simply that...a suggestion. They won't flog you if you don't dress according to the "dress code".

The luxury lines and small ships tend to do a better job of enforcing dress codes, although my guess is that they seldom have a passenger that doesn't have the common sense to dress appropriately for that evening.

Cunard the most formal, Celebrity, Princess, then RCL.

On Cunard after 6pm the minimum dress standards apply everywhere (eg no jeans) and on formal night if not dressed in formal then access only to the Wintergarden (casual seating) and buffet. You won't be allowed to go anywhere else except on the way to those two places. And the gym I guess but access controlled.

Edited by Pushka

I've mostly sailed on Carnival and NCL which are supposed to be the two less dressed up cruise lines. However, on every single cruise I've seen everything from formal ball gowns and tuxes to Sunday Best. I personally, have never seen anyone dressed less than Sunday Best on dress-up night. That usually means a pr of khakis or dress pants for men and boys and collared golf-type shirts. For women mostly nice dresses with fancy sandals or heels or dress pants with dressy blouses. Now, casual nights...I've seen it all!:eek:

Just for the record...I did cruise on an upscale ship one time to Europe where you dress up almost every night for dinner. The DH wore a suit and tie every night and I work cocktail dresses. We did not see, even on this upscale ship, many tuxes or long gowns. But for sure everyone dressed up in no less than a suit and tie for men and cocktail dresses for women.

When it comes to formal the Queens Grill passengers on Cunard set the mark. Not uncommon to see an Armani original and 50k of diamonds on a passenger. Minimum dress on non formal nights is jacket and tie for men.

Bottom of the scale is NCL. Short of your birthday suit you can wear anything you want on their suggested dress up nights. See dark suits sitting next to tee shirts, shorts and flip flops.

The more luxury lines tend to be stickier about dress. Oceania does a good job as well

For the mainstream lines my take is Celebrity, HAL, Princess, RCI, Carnival

I haven't cruised Disney so I can't comment.

Cunard is in a class of its own here as they do segregate dining based upon the level of room you are staying in. Having cruised them there is no comparison when it comes to formal

I've cruised on NCL many times and I've never seen guys dressed as badly as you say on "dress-up nights", or whatever they're called. As a matter of fact, my DH tried to get into the MDR one night to tell me his and the DS's excursion had run short and that they would be late joining me for dinner. He was not allowed into the dining room because he was wearing shorts!:eek: Not even for just a minute. But I do agree that Carnival and NCL are very casual lines. I have however, seen people dressed the way you say on NCLand Carnival on "Casual" nights in the MDR.

Edited by mousey

I have seen it and in fact was right next to it. On my first and last NCL cruise to celebrate my aunt and uncles 50th we cruised to Bermuda where they had spent their honeymoon. We dressed for the optional formal night as it actually fell right on their anniversary. The table next to us were dressed exactly as I described in my first post. Their dress certainly didn't distract from our enjoyment but I haven't been on another line where dress on albeit an optional formal evening was so all over the place. Three tables away was a wedding party dressed as formally as you can get. Just not my style so I don't cruise with them.

For me, most formal we've been on was Cunard's QM2. Then probably Celebrity. Years ago RCI was more formal, but as we cruised over the years it has become less so. Princess is on par with RCI. Disney surprised me, I thought people would dress nicer, but it was our first cruise and my expectations were high.

My one and only Carnival cruise was years ago, I think 1999, and things were ultra casual (can I say sloppy) during the day, but formal nights were very formal at that time, lots of tuxes and gowns. From what I read here, things have changed dramatically now.

The least formal and definitely most casual, both day and evening, was NCL. We wanted to opt out of formal night, so dressed nicely so as not to be out of place. I had on black pants and a nice top, my husband had on slacks and a long sleeved shirt. We fit right in with the "formal" crowd. Day wear…well stuff I'd wear to clean out the garage on a hot day, pretty much the same as Carnival.

Unless someone is eye-catching, in a good or bad way, it's just clothes. Nothing surprises me any longer.

Bottom of the scale is NCL. Short of your birthday suit you can wear anything you want on their suggested dress up nights. See dark suits sitting next to tee shirts, shorts and flip flops.

I disagree with this completely. I have sailed on 8 cruises with NCL and I have seen them turn people away from the mdr, not only on formal night, but on other nights as well. Just because it's Freestyle, doesn't mean anything goes. I have been on 6 different lines and I work "rank" the lines as follows...HAL, Pullmantur, Costa, a tie with RCCL & NCL, Carnival

I have seen the casual on NCL on one trip but on a trip where the ship was repositioning through the Panama Canal I was surprised to see that most people were somewhat dressed every night. I attributed it to the fact that a lot of people were on that ship longer than the Pacific Coast part we were traveling, some for 3 weeks, and were of an older class of people.

Also, I was told that our Alaska cruise would be more laid back. On formal night, most of the ship was dressed at least cocktail style.

Go figure.

Definitely Cunard first, if dressed incorrectly people were turned away from the dining room. P and O most people adhered to the dress code.

Royal Caribbean we have cruised on three of their ships and again anything from open necked shirts to formal ball gowns.

Our first ever cruise was a Thompson owned ship and probably 60% dressed up to the nines on formal nights.

This is our first Celebrity cruise and according to a friend who was on Eclipse three weeks ago it was very smart dress.

I have no problem with getting dressed up, I always feel it is out of respect to the dining staff who are themselves immaculate and their tables so beautifully laid, worst I ever saw was on an RCI cruise when a group of Canadians arrived on formal night and blustered their way to their table, ignoring the waiters' requests to leave. Yes I know they had paid but how disrespectful to expect to dine wearing a sweaty T shirt and shorts...

Ties for men are no longer required on Cunard on non-formal nights. They are now optional. This change in Cunard's dress code was made about a year ago.

When it comes to formal the Queens Grill passengers on Cunard set the mark. Not uncommon to see an Armani original and 50k of diamonds on a passenger. Minimum dress on non formal nights is jacket and tie for men.

OK, here you go. I don't know who wrote it, but it's dead on:

CUNARD LINE:

FORMAL:

Men -- White or black tux, tails, bow tie, wing collar, cummerbund, diamond studs, white gloves, patent leather shoes. Top hat and spats, if you have them. Diplomats should wear sash, royalty should limit crowns to reasonable size, no ermine trim.

Women -- No man-made fabrics. Silks only. Please limit trains to 20 feet. One servant suggested for each 10 feet of train, available by calling the Purser's office. No diamonds under one carat. Natural pearls only. Tiaras recommended for royalty.

SEMI-FORMAL:

Men -- Omit top hats, spats. Royalty omit crowns.

Women -- Limit trains to 10 feet.

CASUAL:

Men -- omit cummerbund and gloves.

Women -- Cultured pearls OK.

HOLLAND AMERICAN LINE:

FORMAL:

Men -- Tux suggested. AARP pins should be diamond only. Canes should be ebony with gold heads, wheelchairs gold plated with black upholstery.

Women -- Silks suggested. Green discouraged, as it clashes with blue hair. Diamond brooches should be smaller than coffee saucer.

SEMI-FORMAL:

Men -- Dark suits OK. Wheelchairs may be silver plated. "No Boundaries" ties discouraged.

Women -- Something like the dress you wore on VJ day would be good.

CASUAL:

Men and Women -- Polyester leisure and pants-suits, of course.

PRINCESS CRUISES & ROYAL CARIBBEAN INTERNATIONAL

FORMAL:

Men -- Tuxes or dark suits. White shirts. Ties. Polishable shoes.

Women -- Cocktail dresses or silk pant suits. Limit heels to 3 inches.

SEMI-FORMAL:

Men -- Suits. Shirts of any color. Ties if you can find one to match. (For Princess, no lipstick or rouge on collars, no long blonde hairs on jacket. This "Love Boat" thing can be carried to extremes!)

Women -- Something "dressy but not too." No blue jeans. No navels showing.

CASUAL:

Men -- No blue jeans. No navels showing. No T-shirts, unless bought on this ship on this cruise. Shoes.

Women -- Nothing from the Madonna Collection. Wear what you would out shopping -- except for the curlers, of course.

CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES:

FORMAL:

Men -- Tux or suit. Purple tuxes OK. On suits, pants should match jacket. Polishable shoes. Black leather is NOT formal.

Women -- That fancy dress you've been dying to wear somewhere. No bridesmaid dresses. No wedding gowns, for that matter.

SEMI-FORMAL:

Men -- Jacket and tie. Not with blue jeans! No jogging shoes. No jogging suits, for that matter.

Women -- Nothing from the Madonna Collection. All underwear worn under, not over, other clothing. Limit heels to 5 inches.

CASUAL:

Men -- Pants. Not short ones, either. Shirts. Shoes. Socks, probably.

Women -- If it's skin tight, don't make it flesh colored. Wear what you would to go shopping at the mall, but without the black lipstick.

WINDJAMMER BAREFOOT CRUISES:

FORMAL:

Men -- Black bathing suit and matching sandals. T-shirt is OK, but may be too formal.

Women -- White bathing suits, matching sandals.

SEMI-FORMAL:

Men -- Any color bathing suit.

Women -- Any color bathing suit.

CASUAL:

Men --

Women --

I'll throw a wrench into the works. On the mainstream lines, people dress less formally on shorter cruises. So a 3 nighter on Royal Caribbean you'll see everything from t-shirts with tuxedo imprints to suits, and sun dresses to long dresses.

Edited by JanineM

• 3 weeks later...
I disagree with this completely. I have sailed on 8 cruises with NCL and I have seen them turn people away from the mdr, not only on formal night, but on other nights as well. Just because it's Freestyle, doesn't mean anything goes. I have been on 6 different lines and I work "rank" the lines as follows...HAL, Pullmantur, Costa, a tie with RCCL & NCL, Carnival

They probably did not know that of the 2 main no extra charge dining rooms only 1 is formal-the other is casual.

So, with all that has been said - will I be out of place in a formal long gown on RCI? This will be my first cruise but I would love to get an extra wear out of the gown (already own).

I've worn long gowns on all of my RCI cruises and saw a good number of other women doing the same. :)

Sent from my KFJWA using Forums mobile app