Transatlantic Cabin choice

patperry

I'm looking for some advice on my cabin choice. I'm researching an eastbound transatlantic. We both like the light, so I'm hoping for an oceanview or balcony (if we decide on the Royal or Regal, it'll have to be a balcony).

My question is which side of the ship is preferable, port or starboard ? As I said, we really like a light cabin and I've read that one side of the ship is better than the other, and since the search function isn't available I figured I'd ask the knowledgeable CC community.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Traveling eastbound the sunny side of the ship would be on the starboard (right) side of the ship.

Thanks for the info.... and just to be sure ( after 20+ cruises you'd think I'd get it by now) , I'm looking at odd # cabins

Thanks for the info.... and just to be sure ( after 20+ cruises you'd think I'd get it by now) , I'm looking at odd # cabins

You're correct! :)

I recently learned a way to remember which side of the ship was even or odd..."even" has 4 letters as does "port" and "left". ;)

The sun is always south of you north of the tropics, so starboard, eastbound. Be aware that Princess may upgrade you before you sail to another deck and/or the opposite side of the ship.

There is always the possibility, but I don't think I'll be booking a guarantee this trip and it can always mark "no upgrade". Knowing that, I realize it isn't always honored either.

Thanks for your input, it was something I hadn't considered.

I don't know the difference unless I'm onboard and looking at the carpet in the hallway. ;)

Which is a different pattern on the Royal & the same in every hallway and may eventually replace the other pattern fleetwide. The new carpet pattern was being used as sections of the carpets were replaced on the Coral last summer.

Try the inside cabins. No need to worry which side of the ship and you will save a bunch of money on this crossing. The size of balconies on this ship do not warrant the extra expense. JMHO. We will be on our 5th TA this April and have yet to use a balcony and have enjoyed each cruise and each ship. Gotta love those TA's.

Try the inside cabins. No need to worry which side of the ship and you will save a bunch of money on this crossing. The size of balconies on this ship do not warrant the extra expense. JMHO. We will be on our 5th TA this April and have yet to use a balcony and have enjoyed each cruise and each ship. Gotta love those TA's.

We've thought about an inside, as a matter of fact we're trying one on the Ruby in a couple of weeks. It's been a really, really long time since we've tried one (this is one with the vertical orientation), so we'll see how we like it, the other consideration, is the season, September/October crossing .

So much to consider.... Luckily we've got a month or so before we have to bite the bullet....

Thanks for your input !

We've thought about an inside, as a matter of fact we're trying one on the Ruby in a couple of weeks. It's been a really, really long time since we've tried one (this is one with the vertical orientation), so we'll see how we like it, the other consideration, is the season, September/October crossing .

So much to consider.... Luckily we've got a month or so before we have to bite the bullet....

Thanks for your input !

We had an inside on the Ruby several years ago and loved it. It was one of the "sideways" insides on Riviera deck (R507 or 407, can't remember exactly). Is that what you mean by vertical orientation? These cabins are larger than standard insides and have more desk space. Once the search function returns, search for "sideways cabins" there are lots of pictures. Hope you like your TA on the Ruby as much as we did, it's a beautiful ship.

Done several TA never felt a anything balcony was worth it because most days are too cold to spend much time outside plus you will go days without seeing . Save the money and buy extra drinks and dine in specialty restaurants

Love the TA's but I have to have a balcony....need air and solitude....don't want to rub elbows all the time on deck....to each his own!

Thanks all for you suggestions and comments

I have a couple more questions. Coming westbound, warmer or about the same?, Atlantic hurricane season, should that be a concern and finally, big ship versus small. Grand class, Royal, and then we have the Ocean Princess.

Any comments would be helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Coming westbound, warmer or about the same?, Atlantic hurricane season, should that be a concern and finally, big ship versus small. Grand class, Royal, and then we have the Ocean Princess.

We've done three westbound TAs...two on the Regal and one on the Royal.

Hurricanes are a concern, but ships can usually avoid them. In 2012 a hurricane caused an itinerary change replacing the Azores with Madiera...a big plus. Also, on that cruise we had to sail way south to avoid Hurricane Sandy which did affect our final night with huge waves.

We found the crossing on the Royal to be very smooth. Our entire cruise onboard the Royal...Venice to Ft. Lauderdale...was very smooth.

We like gaining six hours on a westbound TA...eastbound TAs lose hours. Also, we like multiple sea days after the port-intensive portion of the cruise, not before. We've also sailed on both port and starboard side and prefer being out of the hot sun on the starboard side.

Lew

For what it is worth, hurricane season is June to November. Florida to the Azores is in the Southern North Atlantic, but it has been my experience that seas have been nice and weather has been really pretty nice on all 4 of our last TA's. I don't anticipate any rough weather until we cross the Bay of Biscay and enter the English channel. Then it can be easy or bumpy depending on when the fronts go through. In the open ocean it is winds which make waves. Going from West to East in the Spring across the Southern Nth Atlantic generally puts the wind at our backs so to speak. Take a look at this little wind map, notice how the winds going where we are going flow from the US toward EU and then on the way back the ships sail the more northerly route which gives winds going the other way. Eastbound they use the Southerly route, coming back they use the Northen route. A cruise ship making 20 kts with a wind from the rear of 15 to 20 kts feels as though there is no wind relative to the deck. Makes for warmer days and pleasant evenings on the crossing. Been there, done that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=doldrums+location+map&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ClgNU_OJH7OqyQHHkYHIAw&ved=0CDQQsAQ&biw=1253&bih=597#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=fXoVRLzdz0QapM%253A%3BV_RGz1Y28hK0HM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.schoolnet8.com%252Fschoolnet101%252Fhtml%252Fguide_html_10b3259c.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.schoolnet8.com%252Fschoolnet101%252Fhtml%252Fguide.html%3B1115%3B1208