Booking Kenai Fjord tour ahead of time?

JimS4210

Hi all,

We'll be disembarking in Whittier on June 30th and will be spending a few days in Seward. We'll be in Seward for 3 nights, leaving on July 3rd. We want to take one of the longer 8-9 hour tours offered by Major Marine or Kenai Fjords. Is it necessary to book these tours ahead of time or can we walk up and book that morning? Don't want to book months ahead of time and get locked into a certain day only to have weather issues and beautiful weather the next (or previous) day.

I know we'll be getting close to the July 4th race and crowds may increase, but our two full days, July 1 & 2, have no scheduled cruise ships in Seward. Any thoughts?

Jim

One problem is that it might be beautiful in Seward but not where the tour ends up going or v.v. So waiting for the "weather" might or might not be beneficial.

Probably the best answer is whether you would be disappointed if you didn't book in advance and for some reason it sells out. There are two companies now offering the longer NW Fjords tour, which I assume is the one you are looking at based on the length you mentioned.

I don't blame you at all for wanting to wait. I've tried the Kenai cruise 3 times and twice it was downgraded to a Bay tour because of the rough seas. I thought the Bay tour was a snoozer. The longer trip was fantastic!

HOWEVER, as you noted, you're visiting during a holiday weekend. I'd check the weather forecast the day from the ship a day or 2 before you arrive and make the reservation, or, as you soon as you get to Seward, tell the vendors that you have 3 days to play with and see what they say about availability.

I've only visited during mid & late July then late August. There were plenty of empty seats.

Hi all,

We'll be disembarking in Whittier on June 30th and will be spending a few days in Seward. We'll be in Seward for 3 nights, leaving on July 3rd. We want to take one of the longer 8-9 hour tours offered by Major Marine or Kenai Fjords. Is it necessary to book these tours ahead of time or can we walk up and book that morning? Don't want to book months ahead of time and get locked into a certain day only to have weather issues and beautiful weather the next (or previous) day.

I know we'll be getting close to the July 4th race and crowds may increase, but our two full days, July 1 & 2, have no scheduled cruise ships in Seward. Any thoughts?

Jim

The real question is how disappointed you would be if you couldn't do a trip because it is sold out.

And as an Alaskan ("AK" is the USPS abbreviation for Alaska and not Arkansas -- surprising how many folks who staff catalog order centers don't know that.) I realize that Seward is a destination for many fellow Alaskans. Remember that essentially half of the state's population lives in the greater Anchorage area. And July 4th this year falls on a Friday, so if folks take an extra day or so of leave they have a nice little mini vacation. So just because there are no cruise ships in Seward doesn't mean that there will be spaces on the trip the day you desire.

Aargh! Decisions, decisions! I would be disappointed if I couldn't do this tour. We want to do the one that goes to the Northwestern Fjord. Looks like both Major Marine and Kenai Fjord offer one per day, leaving around 9 AM. Guess I'm gonna bite the bullet and reserve one. I don't want to risk getting shut out.

They're both around the same price, within a few bucks and I assume they follow the same route. Is one necessarily better than the other? Not really too concerned with the food offerings since we'll probably bring our own snacks and such... Thanks for the advice!

Jim

Also look at boat size and number of passengers. I think Major marine has a smaller boat but also only 50 passengers Kenai Fiord boats hold 150 peoplef if that is important to you. Also check tripadvisor for asmall boat cruise, I don't know how far into the fiord they go but it sounds like a great trip.

Also look at boat size and number of passengers. I think Major marine has a smaller boat but also only 50 passengers Kenai Fiord boats hold 150 peoplef if that is important to you. Also check tripadvisor for asmall boat cruise' date=' I don't know how far into the fiord they go but it sounds like a great trip.[/quote']

I like the idea of less people on the boat. I plan on taking a ton of photos and want to spend as much time as possible at a railing. I'd rather be on a boat with fewer people. More photo opportunities... :)

Jim

At Major Marine, you can book to guarantee a spot, then change once without fee/penalty if you call at least 24 hours before your tour if you discover that the weather may be better another day.

That's really good to know. Thanks!

Jim