Difference between O and R classes?

Mboen

Sorry if this has been previously addressed.

As the title suggests, I don't see any reference to details as to the difference between the two classes. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

O class are the larger ships 1250 passengers, more modern design more restaurants, slightly larger cabins, culinary centre, artist loft Barristas,grill in buffet

R class (old Renaissance line ships) smaller ships 684 pax, more cozy feels like an English country club

Soon to be upgraded with more modern decor in the staterooms, Barristas, grill in the Buffet

I am sure there are other things that set them apart ;)

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Sorry if this has been previously addressed.

As the title suggests, I don't see any reference to details as to the difference between the two classes. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Insignia, Regatta and Nautica, cumulatively known as "the R Class Ships", are so called because they were originally constructed for Renaissance Cruise Line. They were built in the late 1990's and at just over thirty thousand gross registered tons, they are exceptionally intimate by the standard of today's Cruise Ships.

rclass-insignia-regatta-nautica.jpg?w=500&h=338

The "O Class Ships", as Marina and Riviera are sometimes called, were the first Ships to be purpose built by Oceania Cruise Line itself, and at sixty six thousand gross registered tons, they have the size to offer more of the bells and whistles which made the smaller ships so popular. Four Specialty Restaurants rather than two, for example, and all of them included in the price of your cruise fare.

marina--riviera-4_3.jpg

Truth be told, Marina and Riviera introduced so many innovations which are now considered to be Oceania Cruise Line staples, such as the wildly popular grilling stations in the Buffet Restaurants where Lobster tails and more are always available, and a complimentary Coffee Bar called Barristas, that the smaller ships are being upgraded to include those features during their 2014 overhauls.

We will be on the Nautica for the Midnight Sun cruise starting on Aug. 22, 2014. Will the Nautica have been upgraded by then? Thanks for any info on this. Holly

Yes Nautica and all the other R ships will be finished with their up-grades(we hope) by June 7, 2015.

June, 2014, or 2015?? (Hope you mean 2014!!)

The drydocks are scheduled from April 24 to June 6, 2014

Transformation Highlights

• All staterooms will receive rich new décor, imbuing them with a new sense of style, elegance and flair.

• Penthouse suites will be transformed with stunning new furnishings, rich upholstery and a vibrant yet calming palette that reflects the sea, sun and sky.

• Owner's and Vista Suites will receive new bathrooms featuring oversized showers along with new marble and granite vanities.

• The addition of Baristas, our relaxing coffee bar where master baristas prepare complimentary illy® espressos, frothy cappuccinos and fresh pastries throughout the day.

• The Terrace Café will be transformed with dramatic new furnishings, flooring, wall-coverings, and lighting. This restaurant will also feature a state-of-the-art grill, which prepares cooked-to-order specialties such as juicy steaks, succulent lobster tails and mouth-watering chops.

• Horizons will be resplendent in a new palate of soothing sea blues, cocoa brown and mint and furnished with all new chairs and sofas that are perfect for conversing, relaxing or simply taking in the stunning views.

• The Main Lounges will be completely refurbished with new carpeting, chairs and luxurious new fabrics and upholstery.

• Ever-popular Martinis will receive new furnishings while retaining its classic ambiance.

• The pool deck will sport all new furniture and new tile work.

• The Canyon Ranch Spa Club will have new Steam and Changing Rooms with dramatic new mosaics.

• The Sports Deck, located atop the ship with magnificent vistas of the sea, features a new mini-golf course, new shuffleboard courts and selection of deck games.

The transformed Insignia will debut on May 8, 2014 in Barcelona for her 7-day Jewels of Europe cruise. This will be Insignia's first cruise after she returns from her two-year charter. Nautica will debut on May 16, 2014 in Civitavecchia for her 10-day Cliffs & Coves cruise and Regatta on June 7, 2014 in Vancouver for her 10-day Majesty of Alaska cruise.

Question about the "R" ships OS and VS bathroom changes ... if anyone knows:

With the oversized showers I assume the jacuzzi will disappear? If so, that would disappoint me very much -- not that we've sailed all that much in either category (just once in each). The reason is that the first and only time we were in an OS I had just blown out my knee and the jacuzzi was of GREAT benefit. It wasn't a matter of desire; it was a matter of great need. Admittedly, this is an unusual situation!

Mura

Question about the "R" ships OS and VS bathroom changes ... if anyone knows:

With the oversized showers I assume the jacuzzi will disappear? If so, that would disappoint me very much -- not that we've sailed all that much in either category (just once in each). The reason is that the first and only time we were in an OS I had just blown out my knee and the jacuzzi was of GREAT benefit. It wasn't a matter of desire; it was a matter of great need. Admittedly, this is an unusual situation!

Mura

Yes, both Bathrooms in the big Suites are being redone and the Jacuzzi's are going to fade into history. By the way, you are the only person whom I have ever heard say anything kind about those Tubs.....everyone hated them!

Yes, both Bathrooms in the big Suites are being redone and the Jacuzzi's are going to fade into history. By the way, you are the only person whom I have ever heard say anything kind about those Tubs.....everyone hated them!

That's the item that excites us most, no more tub in the OS. Can't wait...

Well, it's definitely not the first time I've been in the minority! But I loved them ... especially on that cruise.

Mura