What's your experience w/corkage fee?

beckyjohns

We usually sail on Carnival, but this will be our first trip on RCCL - Allure.

We always bring a bottle of wine to dinner with us on Carnival and have rarely been charged a corkage fee. Maybe the first night, but never again after that. We understand that they could choose to charge us the $10 if they wanted to and I'd be willing to pay it if that was the case.

I think I read that RCCL's corkage fee is $25 which is pretty steep. Do you find that you typically get charged the fee or not? At $25 corkage plus the cost of the wine itself, it would almost make sense to just buy our bottles on the ship and not have the hassle of carrying them on.

Just off the Freedom...we usually grab a glass of wine from our room and bring it to dinner (so no corkage fee there). SIL did bring an open bottle to dinner one night and our server poured for both of us. We were NOT charged. So I am guessing it can be hit-or-miss.

We bought the 5 bottle wine plan and then brought to the dining room and still got charged the $25 corkage fee. We thought it was ridiculous since we bought the bottles from RCI. If I were you, I'd open in the room, enjoy a glass and bring another to the dining room with you!

We bought the 5 bottle wine plan and then brought to the dining room and still got charged the $25 corkage fee. We thought it was ridiculous since we bought the bottles from RCI. If I were you, I'd open in the room, enjoy a glass and bring another to the dining room with you!

You should not have been charged any corkage fee for wine you purchased form Royal. Someone was not up on the latest rules.

You should not have been charged any corkage fee for wine you purchased form Royal. Someone was not up on the latest rules.

Exactly. Isn't the multiple bottle deal marketed as specifically for use in the MDR, Windjammer, and Specialty Restaurants? Or is that different from the Wine & Dine?

Exactly. Isn't the multiple bottle deal marketed as specifically for use in the MDR, Windjammer, and Specialty Restaurants? Or is that different from the Wine & Dine?

I only know of one wine package, called the Wine & Dine since last year sometime.

I've purchased bottles of wine in advance off the Gifts & Gear and had some delivered to our stateroom and a couple to the dining room. We weren't too bothered on variety so it worked out well for us. No corkage charge obviously but not everyone realises that you can do it this way. You pay before the cruise and there is no gratuity added on, just the purchase of the bottle.

with your wine pkg. you can even have wine in the lounges and bars also, bob is right there should be no charges at all

Edited by cgr377

We bring our limit of 2 bottles aboard with a corkscrew :) and drink them in the cabin over the course of the cruise - we enjoy a glass while we get ready for dinner or on the balcony on a sea day.

We buy a wine package for drinking with dinner in the MDR. If we don't finish it the will hold it for you and bring it out the next night - or you can take the remainder back to your room.

We usually sail on Carnival, but this will be our first trip on RCCL - Allure.

We always bring a bottle of wine to dinner with us on Carnival and have rarely been charged a corkage fee. Maybe the first night, but never again after that. We understand that they could choose to charge us the $10 if they wanted to and I'd be willing to pay it if that was the case.

I think I read that RCCL's corkage fee is $25 which is pretty steep. Do you find that you typically get charged the fee or not? At $25 corkage plus the cost of the wine itself, it would almost make sense to just buy our bottles on the ship and not have the hassle of carrying them on.

I believe corkage fees are ridiculous when you allow up to 2 bottles to be brought on board. Do away with the allowance, if it is just another way for a charge, if the bottle is brought into the dining room unopened.

On Allure in June is the first time we will bring wine with us, along with a corkscrew. We will enjoy our wine sitting on our balcony, before or after dinner. I won't pay a corkage fee. If we need more wine, we will order a bottle later in the week.

I believe corkage fees are ridiculous when you allow up to 2 bottles to be brought on board. Do away with the allowance, if it is just another way for a charge, if the bottle is brought into the dining room unopened.

I don't think you understand corkage fees. They are win-win. Most restaurants that serve liquor permit patrons to bring their own wine for a corkage fee. This permits patrons the option of consuming a special bottle of wine or a wine they enjoy that the restaurant does not have in their inventory. The corkage fee enables the restaurant to recoup money they would have made had those patrons purchased wine from them (since restaurants mark up wine) as well as covers the cost of providing and cleaning stem-ware as well as gratuity for the service involved. A $25 corkage fee is quite reasonable and if anything in the lower end up the typical spectrum - some restaurants charge in the vicinity of $100 per bottle and $35 to $50 is not uncommon.

I don't think you understand corkage fees. They are win-win. Most restaurants that serve liquor permit patrons to bring their own wine for a corkage fee. This permits patrons the option of consuming a special bottle of wine or a wine they enjoy that the restaurant does not have in their inventory. The corkage fee enables the restaurant to recoup money they would have made had those patrons purchased wine from them (since restaurants mark up wine) as well as covers the cost of providing and cleaning stem-ware as well as gratuity for the service involved. A $25 corkage fee is quite reasonable and if anything in the lower end up the typical spectrum - some restaurants charge in the vicinity of $100 per bottle and $35 to $50 is not uncommon.

Believe me, I fully understand a corkage fee. It is a fee charged if you bring a bottle into a restaurant to RECOUP revenue. Your statement ("The corkage fee enables the restaurant to recoup money they would have made had those patrons purchased wine from them (since restaurants mark up wine) as well as covers the cost of providing and cleaning stem-ware as well as gratuity for the service involved." ) describes it in more detail.

Recoup = recover lost revenue....simple as that....there is enough of it on the cruise ship. It won't stop me from cruising, believe me. I have a great time on ships...but it is what it is.

PLEASE don't be silly enough to have me believe that cleaning stem-ware is a big issue, nor tips....good service will be rewarded with additional tips on a cruise ship.

I've purchased bottles of wine in advance off the Gifts & Gear and had some delivered to our stateroom and a couple to the dining room. We weren't too bothered on variety so it worked out well for us. No corkage charge obviously but not everyone realises that you can do it this way. You pay before the cruise and there is no gratuity added on, just the purchase of the bottle.

Actually, the prices of the bottles from Gifts & Gear have the gratuity added in already. If you compare their prices with the list prices onboard, you'll see that Gifts & Gear's prices are 15% higher.

If I bring my 2 bottles on board do I need to bring my own corkscrew or are they supplied (or can my steward bring me one?? TIA

Your stateroom attendant can get you a corkscrew. Bars and room service provide them too.

Never charged a corkage fee in either the MDR or Specialty restaurants.

Only 1 time, on the Radiance the Manager of the Samba Grill tried to charge us the fee, but after I told him we would not be signing for any corkage since the wine was purchased from the cruise line, he let it go.