Will the Galveston fog EVER go away ?

overthehillcruiser

Ships / Pilots should just find a way to sail through fog. Issue solved :)

...at least passenger ships

The big tankers/freighters/cruise ships could prob do it fine...issue would be all the other ships/boats/barges/vessels that don't have that advanced navigation systems and pilots to help them. Im thinking a giant curie ship or oil tanker plowing into the Boliver ferry or charter fishing boat because of the fog would not be a good thing for example.

The big tankers/freighters/cruise ships could prob do it fine...issue would be all the other ships/boats/barges/vessels that don't have that advanced navigation systems and pilots to help them. Im thinking a giant curie ship or oil tanker plowing into the Boliver ferry or charter fishing boat because of the fog would not be a good thing for example.

How about the multi barge tow? Wow, that would be terrible to have moving out there without visibility

• 2 weeks later...

I may be totally wrong but I thought the Port Authority shuts everything down. This is because of the car/passenger ferry that runs non-stop. The cruise lines have no control over the port being shut down.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone posted that January and February is the worst time for fog... so can I hope that in October fog is not that common? I read that it's caused by the difference in temp between the air and the gulf water, right? so I'm hoping it's not a problem for my cruise :o

October is not a problem as the Gulf is still warm.

However no one can control mother nature:)

You're right, and hurricane season is not over for a full month after we cruise... but the likelihood is less so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Mother Nature isn't in a bad mood around that time ;)

• 2 months later...
Someone posted that January and February is the worst time for fog... so can I hope that in October fog is not that common? I read that it's caused by the difference in temp between the air and the gulf water, right? so I'm hoping it's not a problem for my cruise :o

Fog forms when the difference between temperature and dew point is generally less than 2.5 °C or 4 °F.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fog

Fog is common along the Gulf Coast (ie, Galveston, and Princess' Bayport Terminal) during winter when air temps are often 40-60 degrees. Summers are hotter, consequently far fewer fog events.

Edited by Stevesan