Need help! Flying into FLL, but sailing from Miami.

princessh

We will be flying from Baltimore to Fort Lauderdale. We will then be cruising out of Miami. We are traveling with my in laws. They would prefer to fly in day of, but my husband and I prefer to fly in the night before. If we can find a cheap, but decent place to stay the night before, I am hoping to convince them to go the night before. I am looking for a hotel that is close to the airport, that will offer a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel. We are looking for a hotel that either has food onsite or with in a block or so. Also, we are looking for a shuttle company that can pick us up from the hotel in Ft. Lauderdale to the port in Miami. We are also open to taking a shuttle to a hotel in Miami, then taking a taxi or shuttle to the port in the morning. In law would prefer the cheapest option. We typically sail from Port Canaveral, so this area is new to us. Thanks in advance!

Lots of hotels near the FLL airport meet your needs -- www.sunny.org has lots of tourist and lodging info.

For shuttle service from the FLL area to POM check with SAS, QLS, Go Airport Shuttle and MJS; all are suggested regularly on these boards and typical fares start at about $15 per person each way.

You are being a smart cruiser to insist on flying in at least one day early! :cool:

We used Sleep Inn & Suites FLL airport. Airport shuttle, clean hotel, good rates, hot breakfast, 24 hour Walgreens next door and a shopping plaza across the street with 3 restaurants and a Publix grocery store.

We used QLS shuttle the next morning for our trip from the hotel to the port of Miami and then again after the cruise back to FLL airport.

I would use both again if flying into FLL and sailing out of Miami.

Also, here is a link to more FLL hotels. http://www.parkingstay.com/p/ft-lauderdale.html

Good Luck.

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

We will be flying from Baltimore to Fort Lauderdale. We will then be cruising out of Miami. We are traveling with my in laws. They would prefer to fly in day of, but my husband and I prefer to fly in the night before. If we can find a cheap, but decent place to stay the night before, I am hoping to convince them to go the night before. I am looking for a hotel that is close to the airport, that will offer a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel. We are looking for a hotel that either has food onsite or with in a block or so. Also, we are looking for a shuttle company that can pick us up from the hotel in Ft. Lauderdale to the port in Miami. We are also open to taking a shuttle to a hotel in Miami, then taking a taxi or shuttle to the port in the morning. In law would prefer the cheapest option. We typically sail from Port Canaveral, so this area is new to us. Thanks in advance!

We are doing just this for our cruise next month. Flying into FLL staying ay the Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port with a (free) shuttle to the hotel from FLL. They are the one located @ 1221 W State Road 84 in Ft Lauderdale. They offer free WiFi & breakfast as well. I have set up shuttle service @ 10am the next morning with QLS Transportation ($12.50 each) to be transported to POM (all the other transportation companies I contacted didn't start pick ups until 11am). I have goggled the area and spoken to several people who have stayed here (via tripadvisor)- dining options located in the Plaza right outside of the hotel- walking total within a block of the hotel, also a grocery store for last minute items (or wine pick up).

Hope this helps.

Edited by Buffalofirsttimer4

At 4 people, you are almost certainly going to find it less expensive to rent a car for your transport. This way, you do not have to find a hotel with a free shuttle (which invariably is more expensive), and have much more flexibility for meals and where to stay.

At 4 people, you are almost certainly going to find it less expensive to rent a car for your transport. This way, you do not have to find a hotel with a free shuttle (which invariably is more expensive), and have much more flexibility for meals and where to stay.

If you rent a car one-way from FLL to Miami check that your FLL area hotel does not charge for parking (many hotels, especially those close to the beach, do charge :(), and decide if you are comfortable driving in downtown Miami - - there are some car rental locations close to POM in downtown (Avis, etc.) that do not offer a shuttle to the port but are only a $12-13+tip cab ride away; others choose to drop the car at the MIA airport (National, Alalmo and Thrifty offer free POM shuttles from MIA -- for the others you are looking at a $24+tip cab ride :().

If you rent a car one-way from FLL to Miami check that your FLL area hotel does not charge for parking (many hotels, especially those close to the beach, do charge :(), and decide if you are comfortable driving in downtown Miami - - there are some car rental locations close to POM in downtown (Avis, etc.) that do not offer a shuttle to the port but are only a $12-13+tip cab ride away; others choose to drop the car at the MIA airport (National, Alalmo and Thrifty offer free POM shuttles from MIA -- for the others you are looking at a $24+tip cab ride :().

Agree 100%. I am not one that is comfortable driving on large interstate systems in unfamiliar cities. I would rather pay a few extra dollars and sit back and let someone else who is knows the way take over. Not to mention the time in renting and dropping off the car and then dealing with the luggage for 4 people.

The shuttle is the way to go.

BTW: unless QLS has changed their hours, they will start a hotel pick-up as early as 9am for parties of 4 or more. We were at the port of Miami by 9:40 and the first to enter the doors at 10am. :)

We used Sleep Inn & Suites FLL airport. Airport shuttle, clean hotel, good rates, hot breakfast, 24 hour Walgreens next door and a shopping plaza across the street with 3 restaurants and a Publix grocery store.

We used QLS shuttle the next morning for our trip from the hotel to the port of Miami and then again after the cruise back to FLL airport.

I would use both again if flying into FLL and sailing out of Miami.

Also, here is a link to more FLL hotels. http://www.parkingstay.com/p/ft-lauderdale.html

Good Luck.

This is what we did last Nov. Sleep inn and QLS were both fine and we also would do it again.

• 1 month later...

We flew into Ft Lauderdale in Feb this year. We used John's car.'s We had a nice town car. He took us to Intercontinental in downtown Miami. We used Priceline. It is cheaper than going direct.. Feb is a lot higher. We love downtown Miami. I like better than Ft Lauderdale. We walked all over Miami and used the People mover. Bayside is right next door. We went to PF Chang's to eat. I love it because they have GF food too. Publix is right there where you can get drinks to bring on the ship. We just did the Breeze for the second time.