Russia sending the troops in to Sebastapol

The US Navy were there too when we went - they pinched our berth so we had to tender; most inconsiderate of them....

I suspect the US Navy presence was a courtesy visit ?

The Russian Navy has a leased base there as far as I know - home to their Black Sea Fleet.

I suspect the US Navy presence was a courtesy visit ?

The Russian Navy has a leased base there as far as I know - home to their Black Sea Fleet.

It was interesting to see it all - we saw the only Ukranian Sub patrolling the waters too. We saw a huge fleet of Romaninan Navy in Constanta too.

Edited by Julessmiles

Just read an aricle in the times and there is a severe danger that Ukraine could go the same way as Yugoslavia, all it would take is one incident.

there are just under 2 million people in the crimea and ethnic russians are the the majority BUT there are also 250,000 Tartars and they don't like the russians at all.

Personally i would hold off booking a black sea cruise.

Just read an aricle in the times and there is a severe danger that Ukraine could go the same way as Yugoslavia, all it would take is one incident.

there are just under 2 million people in the crimea and ethnic russians are the the majority BUT there are also 250,000 Tartars and they don't like the russians at all.

Personally i would hold off booking a black sea cruise.

What with the blockade of the naval base and airports in control of ....(who?) and the airlift of more troops arriving there is no doubt things will have to change dramatically before any cruise line could think of going into port in the Crimea. Unfortunately Sevastopol, Yalta and Odessa - all great Black Sea ports are in the Ukraine. But it's for the poeple caught up in this worrying situation who you have to feel for! It's an extremely tense and I just hope for everyone's sake it settles down quickly. Your comparison with Yugoslavia is rather chilling dave but possibly not unrealistic, sadly. Let's hope all will be well.

Edited by kruzseeka

What with the blockade of the naval base and airports in control of ....(who?) and the airlift of more troops arriving there is no doubt things will have to change dramatically before any cruise line could think of going into port in the Crimea. Unfortunately Sevastopol, Yalta and Odessa - all great Black Sea ports are in the Ukraine. But it's for the poeple caught up in this worrying situation who you have to feel for! It's an extremely tense and I just hope for everyone's sake it settles down quickly. Your comparison with Yugoslavia is rather chilling dave but possibly not unrealistic, sadly. Let's hope all will be well.

Well, if they conspire to wreck my cruise they will have a lot to answer for! On a more serious note, I think it's all going to end in tears.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well, if they conspire to wreck my cruise they will have a lot to answer for! On a more serious note, I think it's all going to end in tears.

Yes it is a worry shot2bits and after selecting a Black Sea cruise of course these are the ports you and everyone else will be interested in visiting! I notice the FO has already advised against travel there. But fingers crossed it will soon be resolved. I hope so for you and those who are booked to go there. :) ;)

We're in the same boat, going on Celebration but only in October. Hopefully it will give them plenty time to sort it out. Our main reason for doing this cruise is the 3 ports in Ukraine.

Yes, same for us ND. Say what you like about Thomson, they may not be the first choice for luxury but their itineraries take a lot of beating, which is why we chose this particular cruise. I too feel for the people caught up in the turmoil over there. Still think it's all going to end in tears!

Booked to sail on Thomson Celebration on 2nd June and despite repeated requests we have not been told what alternative ports are being proposed as it is clear Sebastopol is going to be out of the question. All we get is repeated demands for the balance of what is now a "mystery cruise."

Booked to sail on Thomson Celebration on 2nd June and despite repeated requests we have not been told what alternative ports are being proposed as it is clear Sebastopol is going to be out of the question. All we get is repeated demands for the balance of what is now a "mystery cruise."

People who went on the Egypt cruise last year didn't get told until they boarded in some cases - I expect it will be a while yet before you know where you are going....

Unfortunately under 'Major changes to your holiday' in the brochure they mention 'changes beyond our control' which includes war, threat of war, riots or civil disturbance which would exempt them from paying compensation. It does look very much as though it will be a mystery tour I'm afraid - they will have to make changes to the itinerary through no fault of their own. Not much consolation to those of you who have booked though. I just hope they come up with some really interesting and appealing alternative destinations for you all. Or better still a peaceful and speedy resolution to the situation.

Edited by kruzseeka

If things aren't resolved there are going to be limited itineraries this year.

No Red Sea, no Black Sea, perhaps they should reconsider North Sea (usually grey in colour :rolleyes:) for next year just to increase the options slightly.

Does anyone think Thomson should be contacting those of us who have booked this cruise? Should I be contacting them? Is it too soon, should I sit and wait? The changes, if any, will be substantial so there will be a major change to the itinerary. Not withstanding their disclaimer, as detailed above, I feel that the cruise, if the Crimea peninsular turns out to be a no go area, has a massive change and, that being the case, have I got a case to book a different cruise or even cancel?

Does anyone think Thomson should be contacting those of us who have booked this cruise? Should I be contacting them? Is it too soon, should I sit and wait? The changes, if any, will be substantial so there will be a major change to the itinerary. Not withstanding their disclaimer, as detailed above, I feel that the cruise, if the Crimea peninsular turns out to be a no go area, has a massive change and, that being the case, have I got a case to book a different cruise or even cancel?

I think it is too soon. As I said further up; there were people who were due to go to Egypt last year & they didn't knew sometimes until they boarded what their itinerary would be. We went to Captain's question time & they said due to all sorts of issues including logistical & political issues, in instances such as this they wouldn't often know until the week before exactly where they we going. I am sure they will be putting in contingency plans & have some ideas but it is still some time odd yet before you travel. You can contact Thomson & try & find out but they probably won't be able to tell you a lot at this stage.

Edited by Julessmiles

My guess would be that the small print would cover them in terms of you being able to cancel and get your deposit back. I do agree it's a major change and if the reason you booked was to see ports they can't take you to then you clearly aren't going to go where you thought you'd booked to go! Morally you would seem to have a good case but the implications for them, to refund lots of deposits and have a half empty ship, is a bit of a disaster. For that reason and the legalese in the clauses of the contract they have with you I would bet they wouldn't capitulate very easily.

These are only my thoughts and I may be completely wrong but you have nothing to lose by asking the question. But I bet they're not prepared to give you an answer re the itinerary at this stage even if they know (there could well be frantic planning behind the scenes to create an alternative itinerary as we write!).

If you really don't want to wait to see if things settle down and the itinerary is still a goer, or see if you'd be happy with an alternative itinerary, you might find it easier to get them to transfer your deposit to a different cruise if there's another which appeals, although I think you'd have to pay an admin charge.

We once did that after a cruise had three out of five ports changed in one week but there was a vital difference. Thomson had revised the itinerary for no apparent reason (almost certainly business driven) and couldn't claim disturbance, unrest, war etc. which is the indemnity clause I reckon they'd claim relates to this situation. Although disappointed to have to change we did quite well as the re-booked cruise was a lot cheaper!

I wouldn't know what to advise though - it's a tough call. 1) do you hold on and hope, 2) wait for a revised itinerary or 3) jump ship now and choose another cruise hopefully at minimal extra cost (admin fee) if they will play ball on that one. You may find they'll give you a refund if you enquire but I doubt it.

I wish you the very best shot2bits whatever you decide though. Bad enough that the holiday you've been looking forward to might not happen without the uncertainty of how it will all work out and the worry of what to do about it. Good luck! :)

Sorry, but you need to remember that cruising has a different set of terms and conditions in addition to the normal brochure T&C's and just about every cruise company has a total get out clause - the one from the thomsons online T&Cs is:-

24.4 The Carrier does not guarantee that the Vessel will call at every advertised port of call or follow any particular route or time table. The Master and the Carrier, acting reasonably, shall have the absolute right to change or substitute the advertised schedule and/or ports of call for any reason whatsoever.

So as has been suggested, you need to track the situation up to the time just before you need to pay and then decide if you are prepared to take a chance or try to change to a different cruise.

thoms changed our cruise on majesty in november when they were unable to call at alexandria & port said (pharaohs & promised land became delights of promised land)

we went to ag nik instead which to us was a bit of a bonus and they gave us £50pp onboard spend:cool:

Thanks Kruzeeka, Terry et al. I rang my TA earlier and she said it was too early to do anything and Thomson would be waiting for FO advice. If we were concerned we could change our cruise to a different one, but we would almost certainly be charged. On top of that, we got a free AI package for this one which we probably wouldn't get if we changed. So, on balance, we will sit it out and look forward to a 'mystery itinerary'. Perhaps it will all be over by August? I just hope that Thomson will communicate with us at some point!