No room!!!!

cruisingready

Were booked on Emerald leaving on March 9th for 20 days and still no room!!!!!

Getting nervous!

We are also booked on the Emerald for March 9 and we, as well, have not been assigned a room. Don't worry. Last cruise, dh and I were not assigned a room till we arrived at check in. It was a nice surprise to see an upgrade.

A guaranteed reservation, means just that. You are guaranteed a room, but who knows where? Look at is as a surprise! Just like having a baby. LMAO

See you on the 9th!

Kimm

we are cruising Ruby in March. My niece was going to book an inside cabin but the obstructed oceanview was the same price so she booked that. Agent marked the booking that she is willing to take an upgrade. She was placed in a cabin. Yesterday she was upgraded to a BB on the Riveria deck.

I have never heard that a person that was booked into a set cabin was moved and put into a really higher category like that-- so makes me think her upgrade was truly rare.

I took a mini guarantee-- hope the dust gets sprinkled on me.

Were booked on Emerald leaving on March 9th for 20 days and still no room!!!!!

Getting nervous!

When you book a GTY your cabin assignment can be anywhere from just after booking up to pier check-in. Most final cabin assignments are 7-3 days prior to departure and sometimes sooner by Princess' Dispatch department. There is nothing to worry about. If there is any problems you or your travel agent will be contacted ASAP. Just keep checking your on-line personalizer page. It will eventually show up and maybe even a nice upgrade to boot.

You got to understand with a ship carrying over 3000 passengers and over 1500 cabins it like musical chairs. People cancel, upgrade, last minute booking, oversells, moveover, etc. It's far more complex then most people understand. No different then the airlines or hotels.

What is this booking a guarantee that mentioned here? How is it different from a regular booking where youpick a cabin up front?

You book a cabin in a particular category and let princess decide which one. It could be any one in that category or better.

You book a cabin in a particular category and let princess decide which one. It could be any one in that category or better.

Is it the case that people book a guarantee instead of specific cabin because it is cheaper? If so how much, on average, do you save doing it this way?

Is it the case that people book a guarantee instead of specific cabin because it is cheaper? If so how much, on average, do you save doing it this way?

You can sometimes book where the listing says "your cabin will be assigned" but that's not the only type of gty booking. When we went to Hawaii we booked the cheapest balcony on the ship. We were on Star Princess and the balcony we booked was on Deck 8 at the bow - people who walked the Promenade walk right past there. (The Promenade walk goes up a deck at the bow.) I booked as a gty so I knew I would get either that exact cabin or another one at least as good or better. Because of the gty we actually ended up in a balcony cabin on Deck 12 mid-forward. It was a MUCH better location and were were very happy with the upgrade.

We're booked into C752 on Grand Princess in May. I had the booking marked as "no upgrade for any reason" because I want that cabin. If you know what cabin you want and you definitely don't want any other cabin no matter how much of an upgrade it might be then be sure to have your booking marked that way. You can also have your booking marked so that you will accept an upgrade but only if it is to a higher category - balcony to mini-suite or suite for instance.

You may book a Caribe deck balcony cabin with the larger balcony and, if you don't mark it as "no upgrade" you could end up on a different deck because Princess feels the higher deck is an upgrade. Most passengers wouldn't agree that it was an upgrade.

Edited by Thrak
typo

No, it is not usually cheaper. There is a ton of discussion on these boards about this. Some believe it increases upgrade possibilities but most are just happy with any room in that category and like to take their chances Remember, it is their idea of "upgrade" not yours.

The price of a GTY is exactly the same price for booking a specific cabin in that category, so no money is saved.

However, if all the cabins in that category are booked, booking a GTY in that category will cost less than booking a GTY or specific room in a higher category.

For our ruby the cost of a mini guarantee was the same price as a category bb

The way it worked out for us was that the balcony cabin we ended up with was listed at over $800 more than the one we had originally booked so, in that sense, the guarantee was cheaper since we still paid the price of the room we had originally booked.