Buying Euros upon arrival?

Dame Delilah

When we arrive in Malaga, Spain we will be going directly to the airport and on to Italy. We will need Euros to pay cab fare when we arrive in Italy.

Will it be possible to buy Euros from the Purser before we disembark in Malaga?

If you buy Euro from the ship, it will cost you 5-7%. Are you not hitting any ports before Malaga? If so, you could get Euro at one of the ATM's.

Another option, ask the taxi driver to stop at an ATM on the way to the airport. The ATM is your best way to purchase Euro.

You should be able to obtain Euros on the ship (though do not wait for morning of debarkation - not sure if they offer that service at that time) - however expect to pay a premium of around 6% to 7%. If you only need a small quantity of Euros, not a big deal for the convenience, but if you require a large sum of Euros you will save a lot of money by using an ATM card with a bank that charges no ATM or foreign transactions fees (i.e. many Capital One cards - but other banks have such cards as well). ATM machines are readily available at FCO (the airport that serves Rome).

When we arrive in Malaga, Spain we will be going directly to the airport and on to Italy. We will need Euros to pay cab fare when we arrive in Italy.

I would suggest buying before you leave. We did this last time thru AAA, which uses Travelex. It was great! I felt more comfortable arriving in Europe with Euros.

We have purchased foreign currency both through AAA and our local bank but it is an expensive way to go. We now use an ATM upon arrival in Europe either at the airport or in town. You get a better rate and you can check with your bank to see if they have a partner at your destination to avoid ATM fees. Either way, it is vacation so don't worry about a few fees.

We purchased some euros before leaving home through our local bank. We ran low on the cruise and needed more. On the Infinity, one of the ship's ATMs dispensed US dollars and the other euros. I can't remember the ATM fee (if it had been outrageous I probably would have remembered).

I tried to exchange for pounds at Guest Services and they were out (later in cruise so advice above to exchange money earlier is good).

I use a prepaid Euro Currency Card which I load prior to departure. I can then use this card to draw money from ATMs and it is also accepted in shops and restaurants. I also have a Dollar Currency Card which I will use to pay my on board account.

Everyone has an opinion and personal preference. I have found the cheapest or best exchange rate is through using an ATM machine. In the past have gone through AAA, tried my local bank but now its is just using an ATM. Just be careful and conscious of where you are especially if you are in a city. The ATM machine on the cruise ship convenient but always the best rate. Also be conscious of ATM fees. Some are higher then others.

I always have some Euros or any currency in any country I travel to. Some more or less depending on time there, mode of travel, and just out of making travel simple when arriving or departing a city country. I always buy some at my bank, yes cost is kinda high, but nothing like telling a cabbie you do not have their currency and you will be back shortly and need to find a ATM LOL. We travel a lot, and it is fun to get ready for a trip and see how many left over"euros" you might have forgotten about.

If the ship offers and airport shuttle- I'd do it. Unless you speak Spanish, my experience with the drivers in Spain there has been pretty bad. " Aeropuerto" seems like an easy enough direction but then they will ask what airline in Spanish and so forth. When it's time to pay again- no English. It's different in Spain than say Italy, France or Greece where the cabbies did speak some English.

If you do a taxi- write down the Aeropuerto and airline in Espanol.

As has been mentioned several times, the best exchange rate will be from an ATM. Check the web site for the airport in Italy and locate the ATMs in the arrivals/baggage area and get your Euros before you leave the airport.