26 Cruiseships are coming between now and 2019. avg tonnage: 93872.4

The new norm of cruise-ships seems to be between 140,000 and 160,000 tonnage as almost all new cruiseships coming from mainstream cruise-lines are in that range. From the P&O to Norwegian and RCL and Carnvial, they all seems to lock their classes among this range.

Do you guys think this is a good range for cruiseships, and if so, why?

Or do you feel bored by the similar size/design of all these future ships?

Feel disappointed that by 2018, almost 10 years after Oasis Class, there still wont be a larger class than Oasis Class?

It would seems approiate to have this discussion at the RCL forum here, as this amazing cruiseline have produced the largest classes of ships for the last 16 years

Edited by jackjia199637

The new norm of cruise-ships seems to be between 140,000 and 160,000 tonnage as almost all new cruiseships coming from mainstream cruise-lines are in that range. From the P&O to Norwegian and RCL and Carnvial, they all seems to lock their classes among this range.

Do you guys think this is a good range for cruiseships, and if so, why?

Or do you feel bored by the similar size/design of all these future ships?

Feel disappointed that by 2018, almost 10 years after Oasis Class, there still wont be a larger class than Oasis Class?

Can't imagine a ship larger than Oasis class but then again I remember back when the Sovereign class came out I never thought they'd be topped! I love all sizes/classes of ships for different reasons.

I read somewhere that Celebrity was going to actually be reducing size in the years to come because the ports were complaining about the environmental impact these massive ships. I wonder if anyone else is going to be following suit?

Wow, for real?

I would be suprised if the next Celebrity class is not signficantly larger than its amazing Solitice Class.

The new norm of cruise-ships seems to be between 140,000 and 160,000 tonnage as almost all new cruiseships coming from mainstream cruise-lines are in that range. From the P&O to Norwegian and RCL and Carnvial, they all seems to lock their classes among this range...
I'm having a hard time reconciling these statements with your title containing "avg tonnage: 93872.4"

If I assume "almost all" is 16 ships (less than 62% of 26 ships) with an average tonnage of 150,000 GRT (the mid point of the range quoted), the remaining 10 ships would have to average roughly 4,000 GRT, which are boats, not ships.

Seems like a disconnect somewhere :confused:

Thom

Edited by TravelerThom

I think there is a place for Oasis class size vessels, and then a place for a range of smaller ones. There aren't that many ports that can have an Oasis sized vessel call port, and you can't really tender 6000 people that easily. I have yet to go on Oasis class, but from my reading it seems the ship is the destination for a lot of people. I look forward to Allure, but I think I might be more of a Freedom class guy myself.

i'm having a hard time reconciling these statements with your title containing "avg tonnage: 93872.4"

if i assume "almost all" is 16 ships (less than 62% of 26 ships) with an average tonnage of 150,000 grt (the mid point of the range quoted), the remaining 10 ships would have to average roughly 4,000 grt, which are boats, not ships.

Seems like a disconnect somewhere :confused:

Thom

total new ships on order: 29

total gross tonnage on order: 2,722,300

I bet the ships included in this are the Viking river ships that only have a couple hundred people and are only a few thousand tons, I think they have 12 more of these on order now.

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/kfw-ipex-bank-finances-12-viking-longships-for-2015-delivery.html

Keith

Edited by Spring Valley

Can you give a source for your numbers? Your ship count in the latest msg does not agree with what you originally posted. Hard to make sense of undocumented numbers with no sources which change in mid stream. Your average tonnage may be correct, but if "almost all" gets to 2 out of 3 ships, then the remaining ships have to have NEGATIVE tonnage (be lighter than air). Are air ships making a come back:p

Thom

I bet the ships included in this are the Viking river ships that only have a couple hundred people and are only a few thousand tons, I think they have 12 more of these on order now.

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/kfw-ipex-bank-finances-12-viking-longships-for-2015-delivery.html

Keith

Most of the river ships are measured in feet and not tonnes. But even scanning the Cruise Critic "New Ship Orders" http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=167, my observation is that most "large" ships are above 130,000 GRT.