Hampton Inn NY - JFK ?

logbook

Hi, I'm sure there is information all over about this hotel, but the search isn't working. Has anyone stayed here? Flying in the night before the cruise (NCL). The reviews look pretty good, except for the fact there is nothing around the hotel such as restaurants and a drug store to pick up last minute things. What would be the best way to get to the port the next day? Also considering Hampton Inn Times Square North, which is close to the port, but much more $$. Any opinions??

Was just down there a week ago with business in the area - that's down by North Conduit Avenue, about 5 minutes off the airport's boundaries, next to the service road by the Belt Parkway - a/k/a "Hotel Blvd" with at least 5 of 6 of them along the long stretch, and on the other side/behind the parking lots are all residential homes. Not even a typical 24/7 gas/petrol station with convenience (Seven Eleven) store for very limited & basic supplies as NJH said ... and nothing within walking distance, not even in broad daylight hours & definitely too quiet to roam around after dark, not that it's unsafe - it's a mile or more to the closest mom-n-pop local grocery stores.

What is your arrival date & budget for this one night stay? Have you use Priceline and/or Hotwire to shop for a 3.5 or 4 stars - stick with Manhattan's Midtown West, Hell's Kitchen or nearby "zones" on PL's Name Your Own prices - that should keep it under $200. How do you plan to get to hotel and/or from the hotel to the pier - taxi/car service or subway/bus or train & taxi combo, etc.? Any plans to sightsee after arrival, or just dinner, rest & sleep, light breakfast & checkout and head to the pier?

There are a # of 2.5 and 3 stars hotel (HoJo, HI Exp, Ramada Exp, Comfort/Quality & LaQuinta Inns, etc.) in the Long Island City area of Queens, it's just across the river from Manhattan, some with nice skyline views and 1 to 4 subway stops to the East Side, and few more stops to Times Square area closest to your pier. These can usually be PL or HW or book directly with AAA or promo discounts for $150 to $200 (sometimes less) all inclusive of taxes/fees & surcharges - might even want to book a fully 100% refundable ones to lock in a booking for now, then - continue to PL or HW shop for a better deal if your sailing is still months away.

If this is for September/October's popular Fall/foilage cruising season, please note that hotel occupancies & rates tend to be high due to other events & conventions, trade shows taking place all over NYC.

Please try to be as specific as you can so that we can be more helpful (we don't need your SSN, DOB & CC/Exp Date info, etc. - LOL, just kidding) :D

Wow.... I never imagined this would all be so confusing. We are flying into JFK, Friday 9/26 sailing NCL the next day. We would like to be somewhere that we can walk around and do some sightseeing and just a light dinner and get up in the morning and go! I will admit, I am very picky about a clean room! Don't want that to be an issue! Under $300 would be great, $250 even better! We don't have any transportation set up yet. Probably have to taxi it... or car service. Thank so much for any more info you can give us!

Wow.... I never imagined this would all be so confusing. We are flying into JFK, Friday 9/26 sailing NCL the next day. We would like to be somewhere that we can walk around and do some sightseeing and just a light dinner and get up in the morning and go! I will admit, I am very picky about a clean room! Don't want that to be an issue! Under $300 would be great, $250 even better! We don't have any transportation set up yet. Probably have to taxi it... or car service. Thank so much for any more info you can give us!

You mentioned Hampton Inn Times Square North. That would be in an area you could walk around, see some sights, and maybe free breakfast.

You mentioned Hampton Inn Times Square North. That would be in an area you could walk around, see some sights, and maybe free breakfast.

We are sort of on hold with that one, although it looks like a perfect place. The price is a bit higher than I hoped for, but we might have to just do it! Someone recommended Holiday Inn Express near Times Square too. Priced a bit lower (like $260). I think we better grab something before we don't have as many options!

Okay, we have a refundable reservation at Holiday Inn Express on W 45th. NOW, there will be four adults.... anyone recommend transportation from JFK to the hotel? Will a car service be comparable to a cab?

Okay, we have a refundable reservation at Holiday Inn Express on W 45th. NOW, there will be four adults.... anyone recommend transportation from JFK to the hotel? Will a car service be comparable to a cab?

Taxi fare from JFK to Manhattan is fixed at $52.50 plus tolls and tip. It will be a tight fit with 4 adults plus luggage, and you may be able to do it only if a minivan taxi is available. Car service fares for sedans are generally comparable to taxi fares, but with 4 adults they will definitely require you to book a minivan, which will probably be about $60-70 plus tolls and tip.

Edited by njhorseman

Thank you so much for all the help! Do people use these from the port to the airport, or it is too confusing to find them there? Is it just easier to get a cab?

Yes, people use them from the port to the airport too, and as I said earlier, with 4 passengers you're better off booking a minivan with them rather than waiting at the taxi stand and hoping a minivan taxi is available. Typically you would have to call them when you disembark so they know to have the car ready to pick you up. Very often they wait on a side street until they get your call. When you reserve your car ask what their procedure is. Lately it seems that both taxi and car service passengers are being required to walk across 12th Ave to the northbound side of the street to get either taxis or car service vehicles.

Somewhat cruise-related to your GEM sailing this Fall, making an informed guess that you are flying JetBlue (as only DL and B6 do this non-stop route) the "night" before - to please check the weather forecast closely for your travel, as JetBlue or B6 is known for cancelling flights in/out of their major Northeast Hubs when poor weather is forecasted, like this evening & tomorrow, ahead of time. Have a Plan B in place especially if there aren't later flight options to get into NYC area (that include EWR, LGA as well as JFK) and you should be aware of the fact that B6 do not, as a matter of policy, to rebook or endorse your tickets to fly on another carrier. They will rebook you on the next available flight (that could be next day or 2 days later) or offer you a full refund (it doesn't do you any good & you will be lucky to find available seats on other carrier and pay expensive, last minute or walk-up fares) There are "stranded travelers" spending the night at JFK at their own expenses, trying to fly home.

If you aren't in a hurry to be off the Gem for disembarkation, ask for & exchange your color-coded luggage tags to be the last group called - I believe those numbered in the mid/high 30's (check/confirm onboard) & retrieve them inside the terminal, go thru CBP & exit - and confirm the pickup by the car service. Ride to JFK should be 60 to 90 minutes, depending on traffic & route - your will be back in NY around the time that the United Nations General Assembly is having its annual session, so Midtown East & traffic closure is possible - not to worry, you will have plenty of time to get to JFK.

Both JetBlue (Terminal 5) & Delta's T4 are nicely remodel and with good, wide choice of restaurants & shops airside - and free WiFi for B6 while you wait - should make your wait for departure a little easier.

Somewhat cruise-related to your GEM sailing this Fall, making an informed guess that you are flying JetBlue (as only DL and B6 do this non-stop route) the "night" before - to please check the weather forecast closely for your travel, as JetBlue or B6 is known for cancelling flights in/out of their major Northeast Hubs when poor weather is forecasted, like this evening & tomorrow, ahead of time. Have a Plan B in place especially if there aren't later flight options to get into NYC area (that include EWR, LGA as well as JFK) and you should be aware of the fact that B6 do not, as a matter of policy, to rebook or endorse your tickets to fly on another carrier. They will rebook you on the next available flight (that could be next day or 2 days later) or offer you a full refund (it doesn't do you any good & you will be lucky to find available seats on other carrier and pay expensive, last minute or walk-up fares) There are "stranded travelers" spending the night at JFK at their own expenses, trying to fly home.

If you aren't in a hurry to be off the Gem for disembarkation, ask for & exchange your color-coded luggage tags to be the last group called - I believe those numbered in the mid/high 30's (check/confirm onboard) & retrieve them inside the terminal, go thru CBP & exit - and confirm the pickup by the car service. Ride to JFK should be 60 to 90 minutes, depending on traffic & route - your will be back in NY around the time that the United Nations General Assembly is having its annual session, so Midtown East & traffic closure is possible - not to worry, you will have plenty of time to get to JFK.

Both JetBlue (Terminal 5) & Delta's T4 are nicely remodel and with good, wide choice of restaurants & shops airside - and free WiFi for B6 while you wait - should make your wait for departure a little easier.

Well, thank you, I think, for all this info!!!! :( I do appreciate the heads up about cancellations though. I would like to think there will not be weather issues in Buffalo and/or NY late September, but you never can tell!!! We are going the day before, and worst case scenario, we would get in the car and drive! Sure hope that doesn't happen!!! Good information about getting off the ship late too!