Alaska...train to Denali

We are about to book an Alaskan cruise for June 2015 for our 40th anniversary.....we want to take the train to Denali. Is this something that NCL will arrange, we do on our own, or contact a travel agent for?

This will be our first NCL...and also wonder if like Carnival...they have early saver plans; OBC if the price goes down (doubtful for Alaska we think) or what.

Thanks for your help.:)

if the price goes down (doubtful for Alaska we think)

I'm only responding to this part of your post since I know nothing about Denali trains, but... Don't be so convinced that prices won't drop on AK voyages. In 2012, prices dropped dramatically on our trip such that difference from a regular balcony to a aft suite penthouse was only $220 pp - a total steal.

Yes NCL or a TA will arrange it and you can also book trips like it on youw own. We are booked on a Cruisetour (cruise and land tour) this June on the Sun out of ANC through NCL. We are doing the land tour first and the OW cruise from ANC (Whittier this year, Seward next) to VAN. Not sure how you are booking, either through NCL or a TA, but if booking through NCL I believe you will have to call NCL as the cruise only can be booked on line. You need to talk to someone directly at NCL to book the land portion.

We are doing this one http://www.ncl.com/alaska-cruisetours/11-day-denali-express but there are other options listed on that page. It's actually a combo train and motor-coach trip, you are not on the train for all transportation.

Yes NCL or a TA will arrange it and you can also book trips like it on youw own. We are booked on a Cruisetour (cruise and land tour) this June on the Sun out of ANC through NCL. We are doing the land tour first and the OW cruise from ANC (Whittier this year, Seward next) to VAN. Not sure how you are booking, either through NCL or a TA, but if booking through NCL I believe you will have to call NCL as the cruise only can be booked on line. You need to talk to someone directly at NCL to book the land portion.

We are doing this one http://www.ncl.com/alaska-cruisetours/11-day-denali-express but there are other options listed on that page. It's actually a combo train and motor-coach trip, you are not on the train for all transportation.

Please come back and tell us all about your trip. DH and I are also looking to do a cruisetour 2015. :)

Please come back and tell us all about your trip. DH and I are also looking to do a cruisetour 2015. :)

I def will. Its a 10 year aniv trip for us so we are very much looking forward to it.

Edited by jimsig

Have you thought about driving to Denali from Anchorage and taking the train from Seward to Anchorage? That's our plan for after our cruise next year. We plan to do the Fjords tour out of Seward the day we get off the ship, then take the train to Anchorage and stay overnight in Anchorage. We will get a car in Anchorage and drive ourselves to Denali. Having a car allows you more hotel choices in Denali, and the ability to stop and do things on he he way.

There are an awful lot of variations to what the OP is planning to do.

Cruise - Land Tour (include train) ending beginning at ANC or FAI

The reverse of the above

Cruise - on your own plan fly home from ANC or FAI

The reverse of the above

NCL ships use Whittier as the port for ANC

Other cruise lines use Seward

Both of these are accessible by rail and motor coach - The Train is better !!!

Two schools of thought YMMV - -

Take the Land Tour first and then relax on the cruise not having to pack and

unpack bags everyday living out of a suitcase.

-OR-

Enjoy the cruise living out of the stateroom everyday until the Land Tour

where each night you will be someplace different and have to lug and live out

of your suitcase.

I prefer the former ! But then some tours maybe discounted or priced differently

depending on the time of the year and which cruise line you are sailing on.

Cavet - The Alaska Railroad is a neat adventure but check out the times of

operation between the cruise ships and Land Tour operators.

I.E. It takes 12 hours for the train to travel 360+ miles from Fairbanks to

Anchorage.

Check Alaska RR for more details LINK:

http://www.Alaskarailroad.com

Train travel in conjunction with the cruise lines would require an overnight

stay in a hotel.

Motorcoach travel may be less expensive and be faster but the railroad is so

much more comfortable and scenic (personal opinion) !

Ah to live for so many interesting options - whatever you do enjoy the heck out of it !

Don't wait too long. With global warming your next opportunity maybe boarding

a cruise ship off the newly constructed dock at the base of Mount Denali.

The railroads will be true subterranean subways.

"NAW just pulling your leg" LOL !!!!

Seriously this is something that should not be put off to rethink and plan again.

Even taking the Cruise from/to Vancouver to Whittier or Seward (Anchorage) is

something that can not be missed.

Hopefully your shore excursions would be the Russian Historic Capital of Alaska

at Sitka or maybe the White Pass and Yukon RR; Skagway to the border between

the USA and Canada.

There are dozens of other excursions to consider some pricey and others just

what the travel agent ordered.

Once you do it you may want to come back and do it again differently to see

something missed or expand your horizons to see this the "Last Frontier" !

Plan - Plan - and Plan some more it is cheap to visit a travel agent and talk shop.

Ty all for your responses.....we have decided to forgo the Denali portion and do some costly excursions instead...who knows we may have to go back and do it again :D

I hope you do return and go to Denali. We went in 2012 and it has been the highlight of our travels so far. We went a week before our cruise and rented a car and went to Seward for 2 days. It was amazing to get close to the glaciers. Then we took the train from Anchorage to Denali and spent another 3 days there. My recommendation for the train is, be sure to do the Gold Star service...It was well worth the extra $'s to have an assigned seat in the glass domed car.

We were lucky enough for Mt McKinley to be out in full view on the day we went into the park. It was spectacular.

Alaska has been my DH's favorite trip....He's ready to go back anytime!!!

It sounds like we are in the minority. We've taken the train twice and were disappointed both times. Saw very little wildlife and a lot of the time we we're just passing through two lines of trees.

To each his own.