Passport AND Driving License at Check-In ??

I just completed NCL's check-in page and when I was keying in the passport details I noticed that they made mention of needing proof of citizenship AND other photo ID e.g. driver's license.

Am I mis-reading this, I always thought you only needed a current passport ??

Can anyone clarify.

Thanks !!

I just completed NCL's check-in page and when I was keying in the passport details I noticed that they made mention of needing proof of citizenship AND other photo ID e.g. driver's license.

Can anyone clarify.

Thanks !!

Glad to hear you have a passport..............always the best form of identification:)

A passport trumps everything else!

I even use my passport when traveling domestically. I think the TSA agents and ticket agents seems to like it too as they know just where to look as driver licenses from different states are not uniform. Not sure if it's just me but seem to get more of a smile of thanks for making it easier on them. I think they figure if you have a passport you travel a lot.

In all our cruises, all over the world, I remember only twice when we were asked for ID when returning to the ship. Once was in St. Petersburg, Russia, which is understandable, and once on a Caribbean island, which one I don't remember.

That said, we still take our driver's licenses ashore ... when we remember.

In all our cruises, all over the world, I remember only twice when we were asked for ID when returning to the ship. Once was in St. Petersburg, Russia, which is understandable, and once on a Caribbean island, which one I don't remember.

That said, we still take our driver's licenses ashore ... when we remember.

Our photo IDs have always been checked in Bermuda, Nassau and Port Canaveral and many ports in Europe (Izmir and Alexandria we both quite strict). Moral to the story: Always take your photo ID - You never know when you'll need it.

Our photo IDs have always been checked in Bermuda, Nassau and Port Canaveral and many ports in Europe (Izmir and Alexandria we both quite strict). Moral to the story: Always take your photo ID - You never know when you'll need it.

You're right. I forgot about Nassau. Haven't been to some of the others but don't remember any in Europe. Maybe too long ago.

The point I was trying to get across was that it doesn't happen everywhere, but we still take them most of the time.

There is really no need to carry both a driver's license and a passport off the ship as either will suffice as a photo ID.

We do like to keep our passports locked in the safe on the ship and just take our licenses off the ship along with our ship card.

Edited by punkincc

Can anyone clarify.

Thanks !!

I'm sure you already got great responses but I did want to say that this happened to me too and I called my TA. She stated that it is there in their system for all sailings, because it's probably too much trouble to change it for each itinerary, but that some ports require an extra ID in addition to passport. She mentioned Russia. Why that is, we can't figure out. I'm thinking it may have something to do with Passports being a hot commodity on the black market....I don't know...that's just a silly guess on my part. So, I'm taking both...okay NCL....you're the boss! :)

My drivers license is both proof of citizenship and ID:).

very few states have adopted the enhanced drivers license which is both and it still isn't allowed to be used for international flying. Your state is one of the 3 or 4 that have done so.

https://www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers-licenses-what-are-they

Edited by smeyer418

very few states have adopted the enhanced drivers license which is both and it still isn't allowed to be used for international flying. Your state is one of the 3 or 4 that have done so.

https://www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers-licenses-what-are-they

4, including yours (although you live a bit further from the border than I do, which is 8 miles as the crow flies:)) and 4 Canadian provinces. It meets our travel needs for now which is cruising and, now, crossing the land border should we choose to. The biggest benefit is we no longer have to carry DW's naturalization certificate which is costly to replace.

Edited by sparks1093

Does it need to be taken off the boat for Nassau? I forgot to change my last name on my Passport so booked under that last name, which doesn't match my license. I was NOT planning on taking my Passport off the boat with me, will I need to?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Forums mobile app

Does it need to be taken off the boat for Nassau? I forgot to change my last name on my Passport so booked under that last name, which doesn't match my license. I was NOT planning on taking my Passport off the boat with me, will I need to?

You just need a photo ID on the pier.

You need to carry ID with the name that matches your booking because what they do is look at the photo to see that it matches your face then look at the name on your photo ID to see that it matches the name on your room key card. So yes, you'll need your passport (actually a photocopy should suffice for this purpose).

I'm sure you already got great responses but I did want to say that this happened to me too and I called my TA. She stated that it is there in their system for all sailings, because it's probably too much trouble to change it for each itinerary, but that some ports require an extra ID in addition to passport. She mentioned Russia. Why that is, we can't figure out. I'm thinking it may have something to do with Passports being a hot commodity on the black market....I don't know...that's just a silly guess on my part. So, I'm taking both...okay NCL....you're the boss! :)

It's just a misreading of what NCL says on the website. They are not saying you need both a passport and another photo ID. Their wording isn't crystal-clear to everyone.

Unless something as changed very recently, your TA is wrong about needing a photo ID in addition to your passport in Russia. You need a visa...either a group visa from the cruise ship or a licensed independent tour operator if you're going on a ship's tour or other group tour, or a visa obtained in advance from the Russian embassy if you're going out on your own.

I always bring my passport for checking-in then leave it in the safe the rest of the trip. I carry my Driver's License into ports for alcohol identification / if I need to go to a US Embassy it will allow a reissue of a passport. I don't like to have my passport in port unless I have to (case-in-point Russia) as that will serve as a way for someone to enter the United States, and we already have enough illegal aliens. I highly recommend you do the same.