Sidney, what side of the ship

What side of the ship is best to book a balcony when sailing out of Sydney, Australia especially to see the views of Sydney

I'd say starboard for the downtown area, but that sailaway is one of the best ones IMO regardless. I think that the larger ships tend to dock facing downtown so while you are docked before the sailaway the port side would have a great view across the water of the Opera House.

Edited by Merc85

When actually sailing through Sydney Harbour and out the Heads, the best place is anywhere on the ship you can easily get 360 degree views. Don't stay on your verandah as you will miss so much. For instance the rear view with the bridge disappearing in the distance is a must, right at the front with the Heads approaching, is a must. Seeing the Opera House go by, is a must but then you miss Kirrabilly House and Lunar Park if you are too busy looking at the Opera House.

I'm sure you get the picture, don't worry too much about being on any particular side for sailing out of the harbour because if you stay in one spot you will miss most of the view.

On the other hand, while in the harbour, you need to know where you ship will be docked (go to Sydney Ports and click on the cruise ship section and they will show you where your ship will dock). If you are lucky enough to be in Circular Quay and your ship parks itself with its nose facing the habour bridge, port side will be better as you have a view over the opera house and Circular Quay itself.

Finally, if for some reason you are restricted to your verandah for sailaway I would suggest an aft verandah that way you get to see the whole harbour as you are leaving but not the best while in Port.

Hope this helps.

On the other hand, while in the harbour, you need to know where you ship will be docked (go to Sydney Ports and click on the cruise ship section and they will show you where your ship will dock). If you are lucky enough to be in Circular Quay and your ship parks itself with its nose facing the habour bridge, port side will be better as you have a view over the opera house and Circular Quay itself..

If the ship backs in so that forward is closest to the bridge then starboard is the way to go. Port side looks into the wharf.

Edited by Pushka