should i try another cruise line ?

alspal2

Why not? You have absolutely NOTHING to lose....

We LOVE the Carnival Breeze, and we love what Carnival offers.

Never been on another line.....

We looked at the Allure, as we would love to do it, just for the ship. The itineraries are AWFUL, as there are few ports that can accommodate a ship that size.

But then when we looked at the price.... Over 5K for 3 of us, on an Oceanview balcony. ( We need the balcony :o ), vs $2800 on the Breeze....

We chose the Breeze.

We wouldn't climb the rock wall. We wouldn't ice skate. We wouldn't zip line. While the ship looks AMAZING, it doesn't look $2300 more amazing.

Maybe once Quantam comes out, prices will drop, and we can sail her.

Just can't see wasting the money, because we love what Carnival offers us.

Good luck to you, and let us know what you decide.:D

I just booked on Celebrity. Five star ship. My DH and I have an ocean view cabin, three cabins from the Mid Ship elevator, on a deck with cabins above and below us. We are Past guests ( one cruise), so captain's Club ( with one cruise you get a free upgrade). We have until April 17th. to decide if we want a free drink card. ( sodas. Coffee. Milkshakes. Lattes. Wine below $8 a glass. Beers below $6 Spirits below $10. Unlimited. it is on their website..

123 promotion.) or $200 OBC or free gratuities. We can choose one.

We paid right at $1700. Got another deduction. a deposit of $125 each. Now I owe right at $1400 in August. The ship is smaller. half the number of passengers we will sail with on the Dream next week. ( don't get me wrong. I love the Dream. I am not happy with Carnival Management...but the staff..on Carnival.........they are the best. I like the ships. The decoration makes me feel like I am on Holiday 4 times on the Dream.)

So...............I am out $1700. That drink card is worth $88 a day.(both of us get one) Or that is what it costs to buy it. Yes. I checked on their web site. It is an 8 day cruise. That is $700. That brings the cost down to $1100 in spending.

I could not get that deal on Carnival.

When you go to another line, the web site is confusing. You don't know all the stuff you know about Carnival for them. ( secret rooms, nice discounts). I did work with a PVP on Celebrity. I was on the phone with him for half an hour. He totally guided me.

I am surprised at the cost. And I am going to St. Croix. And St. Barts. Never been there. Back to the private island at Haiti...Labadee. ( want to buy another painting to hang beside the one I bought in 1974. Anything to help. And I love that painting.) and San Juan.

I promise you........all of that is true.

And if you have sailed on RCCI..you are PG on Celebrity. Who knew? If you are Diamond on RCCI..ditto on Celebrity. That is a surprise. And we only ssailed on Celebrity once. Had a great time, but we were just starting to cruise, Carnival had three ships within 3 hours of our house. It was easy. Comfortable. Knew what to expect.

Go with your heart. There is comfort in the known. But you feel like a nubie again switching.. even if just for a cruise. excited to the max..little hesitant. Good Luck And the 123 promotion is only for Oceanview and above. If you book a suite...you get two? all three of them? the promotion is for everyone. It is on their web site. which is sort of hard to figure out for me. I am so used to Carnival. Like going to my VIP number ( for years)...a million times......and never finding anything there. Zilch. Not even a bottle of wine. I feel like persona non grata. So I .....are stepping out a bit. Those ports.......they excite me. for real.

Edited by AmberTeka

Just can't see wasting the money, because we love what Carnival offers

If you're still happy with what Carnival offers, it's hard to justify spending extra to go on a different cruise line. But the OP is apparently not feeling the love. IMHO, there's no bigger waste of money than to take the same old stale cruise on the same cruise line over and over when you're ready for something else.

We sailed exclusively on Carnival from 2004 until 2011. I remember boarding the Fascination in Dec 2010 and feeling ZERO excitement to be onboard. A few days into the cruise, I was feeling dread, and by the time we hopped on the car to go home, I was flat out feeling that it had been a waste of money. There's was nothing really wrong with it. It was just time to try something else.

Since then, we sailed on Royal Caribbean, Holland America, and we're taking Princess this year for the 1st time! It's been WONDERFUL to try other cruise lines. Every extra penny spent has been well worth it.

We've also sailed on Carnival again and, believe me, there was no better cure for the way we were feeling about Carnival than to sail on other cruise lines. It made everything fresh and new again, and it gave us a new appreciation for what Carnival has to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

If you're still happy with what Carnival offers, it's hard to justify spending extra to go on a different cruise line. But the OP is apparently not feeling the love. IMHO, there's no bigger waste of money than to take the same old stale cruise on the same cruise line over and over when you're ready for something else.

We sailed exclusively on Carnival from 2004 until 2011. I remember boarding the Fascination in Dec 2010 and feeling ZERO excitement to be onboard. A few days into the cruise, I was feeling dread, and by the time we hopped on the car to go home, I was flat out feeling that it had been a waste of money. There's was nothing really wrong with it. It was just time to try something else.

Since then, we sailed on Royal Caribbean, Holland America, and we're taking Princess this year for the 1st time! It's been WONDERFUL to try other cruise lines. Every extra penny spent has been well worth it.

We've also sailed on Carnival again and, believe me, there was no better cure for the way we were feeling about Carnival than to sail on other cruise lines. It made everything fresh and new again, and it gave us a new appreciation for what Carnival has to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So agree about trying other lines. DW and I sailed 3 times last year, CCL Fascination in May, RCCL Freedom in September, and CCL Fascination again in November. Our cruise on FOS was a nice change from our CCL routine, and put a little excitement back into cruising.

As for price always being higher on RCCL, this is not true. Sailed in a JS on FOS, and it was actually $50. pp cheaper than CCL Dream the same week, both out of Port Canaveral. We like driving to Port instead of flying to keep the overall cost down, so most of our cruises have been on CCL. Have not sailed NCL yet, but their new ship Getaway looks great.

Yes try other lines. I have been on several (see signature below). You will find they are more similar than different. Each line does do some things differently though or offer different things. Try it you might like it.

Denise

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

After 16 Carnival cruises I am really ready to try something else. Got a great price on NCL Epic for April. Have a b2b booked on Carnival for October but can cancel without penalty so if we enjoy NCL will book again in October.

Why not? You have absolutely NOTHING to lose....

We LOVE the Carnival Breeze, and we love what Carnival offers.

Never been on another line.....

We looked at the Allure, as we would love to do it, just for the ship. The itineraries are AWFUL, as there are few ports that can accommodate a ship that size.

But then when we looked at the price.... Over 5K for 3 of us, on an Oceanview balcony. ( We need the balcony :o ), vs $2800 on the Breeze....

We chose the Breeze.

We wouldn't climb the rock wall. We wouldn't ice skate. We wouldn't zip line. While the ship looks AMAZING, it doesn't look $2300 more amazing.

Maybe once Quantam comes out, prices will drop, and we can sail her.

Just can't see wasting the money, because we love what Carnival offers us.

Good luck to you, and let us know what you decide.:D

I have been on both Carnival and multiple RCCL ship, including the Oasis, sister to the Allure. Although you will not ice skate, rock climb, zip line, does not mean others will not. Many "seniors" participate along with many active adults. These ships, are not however, just about a selection of items you chose to point out. What about mini golf? The flow rider? Again, just items for fun. None of this takes up much time to try, and really is not what RCCL ships are about. You are paying a premium price to get better service. CCL, is finding ways to cut back. RCCL is creating a family vacation. You forgot to mention, that you have 27 places to eat (13 complimentary). Full Size basketball/soccer/dodgeball court. A carousel. 3D movies, 4 pools, 10 whirlpools, multiple bars and night clubs to match everyone's enjoyment. What about the entertainment? Diving shows, at least 3 different ones. Broadway stage shows? Ice skating shows. Comedy, headliners and varous other production shows? Live entertainment all over the ship. What about the parades and street parties?

There is no comparison between the Oasis class ships, and anything Carnival has to offer. Plus, the pricetag you stated is misleading. During peak season, yes, but you can get on these ships for much lower price.

If you're wondering what other cruise lines offer, I'd say that it's an excellent time to try.

I've sailed Carnival, Norwegian, Princess, Disney, and Royal Caribbean, and I have had an excellent time on all lines. It's fun to try different lines because all do things a little differently. Yes, you'll constantly be comparing whatever cruise line you choose to try out next to Carnival, but that's not a bad thing as long as you're open minded. While you might find that after this cruise, you'll stick with Carnival, you might also see that there are things that the other cruise line does that you actually prefer.

Of the lines I've sailed, I would put in a strong recommendation that after sailing 11 cruises on Carnival you try Princess or Norwegian. I like Princess because despite being considered more "upscale," the prices are actually really great. I sailed the new Royal Princess over Christmas and had a fabulous time (link to photo review in signature below). Princess is continuing to make fleet-wide improvements and their product is really great.

I also love Norwegian's product. I've only sailed the Epic (my sister will sail the Dawn in two weeks, so I can hear from her how she likes their older ships), but I was really impressed with what Norwegian had to offer. I found that several small issues that I had noticed on Princess and Royal Caribbean were completely solved on Norwegian. I also was surprised to learn that I greatly enjoyed the Freestyle dining and especially the opportunity to try many specialty restaurants. Entertainment on NCL's newest ships - the Breakaway, Getaway, and Epic - is top of the line.

Now, I don't mean to dissuade you from Royal Caribbean or Disney. I was actually for some time a "Loyal Royal" until I decided that I wanted to see what other cruise lines had to offer (I was bored with Royal's itineraries, and the loyalty perks weren't enough to keep me loyal). Royal Caribbean has some fabulous ships, and I have yet to sail their most amazing Oasis and Allure. I haven't even sailed the Freedom-class, yet! As for Disney, they are quite expensive and have limited itineraries due to only having four ships in their fleet. That being said, I am returning to them after an almost 15 year hiatus and am incredibly excited to sail on the Disney Fantasy which did so well in the 2014 Cruise Critic awards.

You really have nothing to lose - perhaps you find a new cruise line that you love, or maybe this sparks your interest to try out more!

(I was bored with Royal's itineraries, and the loyalty perks weren't enough to keep me loyal).

I found your "loyalty perks" comment interesting. I see you have seven cruises with RCCL, menaing you are not far from Diamond status. Surely, you are aware of the nightly cocktail hour, free internet, etc.. Your comment surprised me!

I found your "loyalty perks" comment interesting. I see you have seven cruises with RCCL, menaing you are not far from Diamond status. Surely, you are aware of the nightly cocktail hour, free internet, etc.. Your comment surprised me!

I just turned Emerald on my last Royal Caribbean cruise, and I'm actually several cruises away from Diamond status. The changes to tiers they did several years ago didn't exactly make me a happy camper.

I have sailed on 11 carnival cruises , i am wondering if i am missing something by not trying the other lines? I feel its the same thing every cruise, its getting old and always the same every cruise. 2 of the couples we go with want to stay on carnival , 1 reason is that i am platinum and shouldnt lose my perks. Dont really think the perks are a big deal. we just went on the dream they we ready to board before us with our so called perks lol. Myself and another couple think we should try another line , was thinking of the allure with royal. just wondering your thoughts if you have tried other lines....

You should absolutely try other lines. I'm currently putting my money where my mouth is -- I'm in the middle of a stretch of 4 straight cruises on 4 different lines -- Carnival, Celebrity (completed) and Royal, and Norwegian (upcoming).

When we branched out from Carnival we discovered that we liked Royal better. We still sail occasionally with Carnival, but I really did see what I was missing when I tried Royal for the first time. We recently tried Celebrity (hadn't been on since the 90s) and discovered that Celebrity wasn't really what we were looking for. I'm trying Norwegian later this year.

So, yes, absolutely, you should sample other offerings and see what you like best. As far as "perks," IMHO Carnival's loyalty perks while nothing to sneeze at really aren't that exciting. If you try and love Royal you'll find a far superior loyalty program over there.

Agreed. IMHO Royal has the best loyalty perks in the industry... Granted, it does take some time to achieve Diamond status, but once you get there the perks really are outstanding. My favorite? The balcony discount, which is available in lower amounts beginning at Platinum, I thnk? As a Diamond I get $225 off the total fare when I book a balcony. An AMAZING perk.

Edited by Dave85

Agreed. IMHO Royal has the best loyalty perks in the industry... Granted, it does take some time to achieve Diamond status, but once you get there the perks really are outstanding. My favorite? The balcony discount, which is available in lower amounts beginning at Platinum, I thnk? As a Diamond I get $225 off the total fare when I book a balcony. An AMAZING perk.

At Diamond Plus, it goes up to $250. I also enjoy the complimentary Bridge, Backstage and Galley Tours!

I have sailed on 11 carnival cruises , i am wondering if i am missing something by not trying the other lines? I feel its the same thing every cruise, its getting old and always the same every cruise. 2 of the couples we go with want to stay on carnival , 1 reason is that i am platinum and shouldnt lose my perks. Dont really think the perks are a big deal. we just went on the dream they we ready to board before us with our so called perks lol. Myself and another couple think we should try another line , was thinking of the allure with royal. just wondering your thoughts if you have tried other lines....

try ncl epic breakaway or getaway

With few exceptions, a vacation should be an adventure, or at least part adventure. Occasionally I just want a vacation where I know what to expect and I won't be challenged. That's usually when we go to Hawaii, although even there it is more like 80% "comfort" and we find ways to make it 20% "adventure".

The minute Carnival cruises stop being an adventure, you should definitely change it up.

The only other issue is price. Obviously, the price has to be competitive to make it worth paying extra (assuming it costs more) for the adventure factor. But the more Carnival cruises I take, the more willing I am to pay a little more to sail on another line. Eventually, after too many consecutive Carnival cruises, I'm willing to pay a lot more to sail a different line.

I was apprehensive about trying Carnival but did the 2/13 Splendor (last minute) and was pleasantly surprised. It was wonderful.

I'm diamond on RCL and felt "guilty" about switching but decided to try something new.

Did Norwegian a few years ago as something different and wouldn't sail again on that line if it was FREE....

Carnival won me over as an alternate to RCL. Liked Celebrity also but that was a charter cruise that would never be repeated...

Thinking of doing Splendor again on 3/17....it was that much fun!

Pam

Enjoying the discussion. I also have been on 11 cruises with Carnival. Very happy with Carnival and cruising in general. However, we are considering an RCL cruise - good home port, itinerary, and competitive price. We are a little nervous, but glad for these boards as a great way to share opinions and find out more info. Good luck!

I'm wondering if you are taking all the same cruises in general. Such as: all 5 day to the Caribbean?

NCL, RC, Princess...it's not going to be a whole lot different if you keep stopping in Cozumel.

Rather than a different line, maybe try a different location or length.

Have you done Alaska, Hawaii, Northeast, South Pacific, a repositioning cruise...