No dress up

Good point but CC's blanket statement that says "Many men don tuxedos for formal dining" is clearly false.

I think even the most seasoned cruisers here that cruise 4 or 5 times a year will agree with that.

It might have been that way 8 years ago when Freedom was first put into service but times are changing. I wont insert a random % but I will say based on my limited observation, the % of those who don a tuxedo like myself is pretty low.

This reminds me of when I studied for my LSAT's and the concept of few, several, many (and all). In reality few, several, many can be interchanged.

http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/lsat-quantity-terminology.cfm

Good point but CC's blanket statement that says "Many men don tuxedos for formal dining" is clearly false.

I think even the most seasoned cruisers here that cruise 4 or 5 times a year will agree with that.

It might have been that way 8 years ago when Freedom was first put into service but times are changing. I wont insert a random % but I will say based on my limited observation, the % of those who don a tuxedo like myself is pretty low.

This reminds me of when I studied for my LSAT's and the concept of few, several, many (and all). In reality few, several, many can be interchanged.

http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/lsat-quantity-terminology.cfm

Yep, I don't think one can claim that the statement that "many men don tuxedos for formal dining" is "clearly false" because its too vague. It didn't say "most", or "the majority" or anything more definitive, just "many." My personal experience, without claiming any percentage, is that certainly "the majority" and I'd even say "most" will be wearing tuxes OR dark suits. Its not mandatory, and anyone who tries to claim it is should be corrected here, that's absolutely false information. But I think the ones arguing against formal dress put WAY too much into their claimed difference between "suggested" and "requested." I think RCCL IS requesting it, but again, its not mandatory and no one can try to argue it is.

Your post says it all - if you really believe that you should dress for a funeral any way you want than say the exact words that I stated - I will dress the way I want because I am on vacation and I will do what I want. Strangers are just as important to gain respect from. Why do you wear a suit and tie at work? My guess it is partly out of "respect" for the position you are in. So you do know the meaning of it. Most of your arguments just don't fly. (and if the invitation says to dress Hawaiian, and you do, than you "respected" the wishes of the event).

Thank you.

Quite frankly, you're so far off the trail on this that even a compass wouldn't help. How in the world do you equate a funeral to a cruise???????:eek:

I have never, nor will I ever, be concerned over a total stranger's respect, or lack thereof, for me. At work, I'm respected because I earned my employee's and colleague's respect. They respect me for my knowledge, my work ethic, my leadership. It has zero to do about me wearing a suit. Matter of fact, I'm moving quickly towards having "casual Fridays" meaning "casual everyday".

Regardless of your thoughts, the cruise industry is barreling headlong away from any sort of formality with anyone's dress. Again, you can wear anything you want. It doesn't matter to me, not one iota (why my mode of dress matters to you is a bit creepy, however).

I just saw where Disney allows shorts in the MDR. Every cruise I take, I see fewer and fewer people in gowns, suits, ties, Jackets, etc. This move isn't an anomaly. It's no longer just a trend. It's becoming the "de facto" standard.

Even the times I've not gone into the MDR on formal nights because I was dressed more casually, I was urged by the Maitre'D to please enter the MDR because "HE WANTED ME TO" (I obliged. I also happened to like it).

While it makes no never mind to me, your opinion is the minority. And, your minority is shrinking.

Please show me on the RCI site where they REQUEST that you dress in certain attire. I can find where they SUGGEST certain attire, but see no request.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It is pointed out that "There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal." They go on to offer "suggested guidelines" for each night. Further they state "We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children."

I take that to mean that a certain way of dress is being "requested". Clearly, others see it differently.

Please show me on the RCI site where they REQUEST that you dress in certain attire. I can find where they SUGGEST certain attire, but see no request.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Split hairs much?

I'm wading in because I haven't seen this point mentioned...

In packing for a cruise, does anyone ever consider the ship itself? (OK, stop laughing, :p hear me out.)

I don't take offense at what other people wear on any night (although I do appreciate a good-looking guy in a tux ;)), but today's cruise ships, without exception, are BEAUTIFUL places. Elegant public spaces, fortunes in artwork. Not to mention that, for many months at a stretch, the crews consider these ships their home.

I feel as if I need to show respect for my hosts (the crew) and dress appropriately for the surroundings.

Yeah, yeah, I paid for the cruise, it's my vacation and I should be able to wear a bathrobe and curlers on formal night. But the ship isn't my bathroom at home. I'm sharing this public space with several thousand others.

During the day it's shorts and bathing suits. But for dinner in the MDR I change in to at least a skirt or slacks, a nice top, dressier shoes than sneakers or flip-flops, and a bit of jewelry because I would be embarrassed to look like a slob and expect the uniformed, professional wait staff to serve me with care and respect when I don't show them enough respect to dress appropriately in their lovely dining room.

The Windjammer is another story. Self-serve in a casual venue, anything goes.

I guess some people just have a stronger sense of place than others. And, yes, for the record, I do miss the good old "golden days of cruise ships." :D

Yeah, yeah, I paid for the cruise, it's my vacation and I should be able to wear a bathrobe and curlers on formal night. But the ship isn't my bathroom at home. I'm sharing this public space with several thousand others.I

Why do members of the fashion police insist on going to extremes to prove their (flimsy) point?

A pair of Dockers and a polo shirt is a far cry from a "bathrobe and curlers", and you know it. So what exactly is your point?

Why do members of the fashion police insist on going to extremes to prove their (flimsy) point?

A pair of Dockers and a polo shirt is a far cry from a "bathrobe and curlers", and you know it. So what exactly is your point?

You're right, there is a LOT of "going to extremes to prove a flimsy point" around here... ;)

(Emphasis below is yours)

But none of them can EVER give any justification or logical reason of how someone not dressed up in a tux ruins thier dinner in the MDR on Royal Caribbean, and then try to compare it to eating at a 5 star reaturant in Manhattan.
Good point. I've noticed this rather interesting trait as well.

No one has ever said that it "someone not dressed up in a tux ruins their dinner" but you guys keep using that extreme characterization...

I've been on cruises that were only 3 nights long up to over 2 weeks long... in the US and in Europe... ships that had less than 2,000 passengers and ones that had about 4,000 passengers.

I have never been in a single MDR where MOST OF THE MEN WORE TUXEDOS ON FORMAL NIGHT. Not once. It's just a rough guess, but I'd say the fanciest I've ever seen was an at-sea day in the Med and maybe 1/2 of the men were wearing at least a dark suit, with some wearing tuxedos. Shoot! Even I was wearing a dark suit that night!

I see lots of people looking nice and having a great time in EVERY MDR though! Sure, you see the occasional off-duty hooker or the bum on break from his busking corner... but I'd still rather sit near them than a few of the Geriatric Prom®-sters I've ran into over the years... 2 buckets of perfume and snooty as sin.

I've been on cruises that were only 3 nights long up to over 2 weeks long... in the US and in Europe... ships that had less than 2,000 passengers and ones that had about 4,000 passengers.

I have never been in a single MDR where MOST OF THE MEN WORE TUXEDOS ON FORMAL NIGHT. Not once. It's just a rough guess, but I'd say the fanciest I've ever seen was an at-sea day in the Med and maybe 1/2 of the men were wearing at least a dark suit, with some wearing tuxedos. Shoot! Even I was wearing a dark suit that night!

I see lots of people looking nice and having a great time in EVERY MDR though! Sure, you see the occasional off-duty hooker or the bum on break from his busking corner... but I'd still rather sit near them than a few of the Geriatric Prom®-sters I've ran into over the years... 2 buckets of perfume and snooty as sin.

Glad to hear it! :) Because I don't think ANYONE has said that "MOST OF THE MEN WORE TUXEDOS ON FORMAL NIGHT." On the other hand, some have claimed that none did, and were corrected for that untruth!

What did the other guy say? "extremes to prove a point"?? ;)

It never fails. We've sailed 36 times with RCI and 11 times with other cruise lines. On all those cruises, I have never seen anyone that I would consider dressed like a slob or wearing ripped, torn and dirty jeans. Also, many of the casual side insist that the people who "dress up" are uncomfortable, living in a dream world and generally boorish snobs.

We dress up, we do so because we like to. We are not uncomfortable in our clothes and we are definitely not boorish snobs. We don't live in the past, at my age I enjoy the present, life has never been so good.

This whole dress code squabble is a CC thing. The dress on any night in the MDR is quite varied, RCI has a suggested dress code for a reason, IT WORKS REALLY WELL.

Many people need to understand the difference between suggested, requested and required and to stop using that much a bused word - respect.

It never fails. We've sailed 36 times with RCI and 11 times with other cruise lines. On all those cruises, I have never seen anyone that I would consider dressed like a slob or wearing ripped, torn and dirty jeans. Also, many of the casual side insist that the people who "dress up" are uncomfortable, living in a dream world and generally boorish snobs.

We dress up, we do so because we like to. We are not uncomfortable in our clothes and we are definitely not boorish snobs. We don't live in the past, at my age I enjoy the present, life has never been so good.

This whole dress code squabble is a CC thing. The dress on any night in the MDR is quite varied, RCI has a suggested dress code for a reason, IT WORKS REALLY WELL.

Many people need to understand the difference between suggested, requested and required and to stop using that much a bused word - respect.

BIG difference between required and suggested/requested - but with respect to suggested vs. requested, I think Big G said it well...

Split hairs much?

BIG difference between required and suggested/requested - but with respect to suggested vs. requested, I think Big G said it well...

Possibly, especially on this subject, on these boards.

I see suggested as "if you need some help, here's some suggestions".

Requested is " this is what we think you should wear" and required is " this is what you must wear". A big difference in all three, IMO. Many will still split hairs between all three to suit their own viewpoints.

Sure, you see the occasional off-duty hooker or the bum on break from his busking corner... but I'd still rather sit near them than a few of the Geriatric Prom®-sters I've ran into over the years... 2 buckets of perfume and snooty as sin.

Another extreme and put down for the more elderly cruiser. With 2,847 cruises under your belt, I'm sure you must have sat next to many snooty Geriatric Prom®-sters wearing 2 buckets of perfume. Fortunately, I have far fewer cruises than you and so have not had that experience.:rolleyes:

I'm wading in because I haven't seen this point mentioned...

In packing for a cruise, does anyone ever consider the ship itself? (OK, stop laughing, :p hear me out.)

I don't take offense at what other people wear on any night (although I do appreciate a good-looking guy in a tux ;)), but today's cruise ships, without exception, are BEAUTIFUL places. Elegant public spaces, fortunes in artwork. Not to mention that, for many months at a stretch, the crews consider these ships their home.

I feel as if I need to show respect for my hosts (the crew) and dress appropriately for the surroundings.

Yeah, yeah, I paid for the cruise, it's my vacation and I should be able to wear a bathrobe and curlers on formal night. But the ship isn't my bathroom at home. I'm sharing this public space with several thousand others.

During the day it's shorts and bathing suits. But for dinner in the MDR I change in to at least a skirt or slacks, a nice top, dressier shoes than sneakers or flip-flops, and a bit of jewelry because I would be embarrassed to look like a slob and expect the uniformed, professional wait staff to serve me with care and respect when I don't show them enough respect to dress appropriately in their lovely dining room.

The Windjammer is another story. Self-serve in a casual venue, anything goes.

I guess some people just have a stronger sense of place than others. And, yes, for the record, I do miss the good old "golden days of cruise ships." :D

You are entitled to dress how you want for what you feel is appropriate. The common trigger on these threads are the people that say "if you don't dress to formal standard, go eat elsewhere". I haven't read anyone that chooses not to get dressed up complain about the people that choose to get dressed up. I see on you signature that you have done different cruise lines, even the QM2. Now can you say that you have the same expectations on RCC as the QM2. Some of the fashion police want RCC to be the QM2 and expect the passengers to be the same caliber as the QM2. I'm sure you can agree that to have the expectation of the two being the same is just not possible. I personally would not enjoy the QM2, it's not my type of environment, I know what the expectations and requirements would be on that ship.

Let me fill you in on a little something :) The crew could not care less what you wear to dinner. They have little more on their mind than doing their job the best they can and getting back to their families as quickly as possible.

Next time you are in the MDR the night before formal night, tell your waiter you wont be attending because you dont have the appropriate attire.

I will bet a months paycheck he tells you to come anyway. :)

Let me fill you in on a little something :) The crew could not care less what you wear to dinner. They have little more on their mind than doing their job the best they can and getting back to their families as quickly as possible.

Next time you are in the MDR the night before formal night, tell your waiter you wont be attending because you dont have the appropriate attire.

I will bet a months paycheck he tells you to come anyway. :)

I'm going to talk to my waiter TWO nights in advance, prepare him in advance for the question and tell him I'll split the month's paycheck with him if he answers correctly! :D

I'm going to talk to my waiter TWO nights in advance, prepare him in advance for the question and tell him I'll split the month's paycheck with him if he answers correctly! :D

No cheating! :mad:;):D:p

It's called "using hyperbole." Obviously, if this is the sentence you homed in on, you missed my point. But whatever. To each his own.

I knew it was probably a mistake to wade into this particular swamp. :D

Right now, I think the posted list aboard disallows shorts, tshirts, swimsuits, flip flops and ball caps. Add jeans to that and then ENFORCE it, and I'd be a happy camper. I just don't think its asking too much to expect a guy to put on at least khakis and a collared shirt (golf/polo shirts have collars) for dinner, especially on "formal night." I can't play golf in tee shirts and jeans, and that's another leisure activity that I pay a lot for - and it doesn't seem to cause the outraged "I paid for it and I'll wear whatever I want to wear!" shrieks. Do I expect RCI to do that - in particular the uniform enforcement part? Sadly, no - heck, they don't uniformly enforce ANY of their policies, from my observations.

Edited by LetsGetWet!

Wow - I'm really glad to hear that! My husband and I are not formal people and we enjoy eating out a lot but like being comfortable at the same time. We plan mostly to eat in the more casual eating areas but might just pop into the MDR just to try it. My husband doesn't own a shirt, let alone a tie, so he will be dressed in his usual (smart) jeans and an equally smart black T-shirt. I won't be dressing formally but will take a couple of brightly patterned long dresses with me as they are very comfortable and don't take up any room in the suitcase. Roll on June!:)

You are entitled to dress how you want for what you feel is appropriate. The common trigger on these threads are the people that say "if you don't dress to formal standard, go eat elsewhere". I haven't read anyone that chooses not to get dressed up complain about the people that choose to get dressed up. I see on you signature that you have done different cruise lines, even the QM2. Now can you say that you have the same expectations on RCC as the QM2. Some of the fashion police want RCC to be the QM2 and expect the passengers to be the same caliber as the QM2. I'm sure you can agree that to have the expectation of the two being the same is just not possible. I personally would not enjoy the QM2, it's not my type of environment, I know what the expectations and requirements would be on that ship.

Wow, I didn't read all the responses to my post, but I seem to have hit a sore nerve.

As a matter of fact, I did NOT enjoy the QM2. Of all the ships I've been on, it's been my least favorite. I found it stuffy. Harp music in the atrium before dinner is not my idea of entertainment. Nor is an abridged stage performance of Romeo & Juliet in the afternoon. :rolleyes: (We had both.)

To answer the question about expectations, I would expect more formality on Cunard or HAL, and it was more formal, but I didn't pack any differently than I do for RCI, NCL, or Carnival. Yes, there were people better dressed than me, but I didn't feel out of place.

RCI is my line of choice these days because I like the ships and the varied passenger mix.

I was just trying to make the point that when I'm in beautiful surroundings, I personally feel more comfortable if I can blend in. But I don't judge anybody who thinks differently.

And I did NOT say that the crew "cares" what I wear, only that appearances do matter, like it or not, on a ship or anywhere else where customer service is involved. Put yourself in the server's shoes, assessing the likelihood of a pleasant interaction, with nothing to go on but the customer's appearance...

Nah, never mind. I'm wasting keystrokes in this room. Tough crowd. :)

Right now, I think the posted list aboard disallows shorts, tshirts, swimsuits, flip flops and ball caps. Add jeans to that and then ENFORCE it, and I'd be a happy camper. I just don't think its asking too much to expect a guy to put on at least khakis and a collared shirt (golf/polo shirts have collars) for dinner, especially on "formal night." I can't play golf in tee shirts and jeans, and that's another leisure activity that I pay a lot for - and it doesn't seem to cause the outraged "I paid for it and I'll wear whatever I want to wear!" shrieks. Do I expect RCI to do that - in particular the uniform enforcement part? Sadly, no - heck, they don't uniformly enforce ANY of their policies, from my observations.

I just fell out of my chair.

Can it be possible? Have we actually come to a consensus on this issue? Wow. :D

You're right, there is a LOT of "going to extremes to prove a flimsy point" around here... ;)

(Emphasis below is yours)

No one has ever said that it "someone not dressed up in a tux ruins their dinner" but you guys keep using that extreme characterization...

Just a freiendly-natured rebuttal: Please do a search of these forums (I think it is possible again). It won't take long for you to find a statement like this (or words to that effect.

If you don't find anything, let me know and I'll make a complete retraction.