You better Belize it!! Calling ALL CRUISE VETS!!

Alley1908

Heading out on the Lovely magic in June and we have something to do in every port in Belize.. We are looking to do something on the lines of snorkeling. I've heard Belize has amazing reefs and wouldn't mind exploring a few of these!! I've also saw a few excursions for Shark/Ray alley in Ambergris Caye. The carnival excursions in Belize are expensive and overpriced!! My Belize Vets please give me any advice about you experience with excursions here!

I did Belize through Coral Breeze and it was absolutely amazing. I have seen some recent reviews that are both good and bad, but our experience was fantastic. You might call them to check out pricing and availability. The Reef is totally worth it. Best snorkel experience I have had, Shark/Ray was cool and different since I haven't seen the shark thing in other ports, and Caye Caulker was gorgeous and relaxing.

Even if the cost through Carnival is more pricey, the experience is unique and awesome. I believe the pricing for private tours might be a little lower, but with a tender port and it being an excursion that takes you further away from the port area than most, it might be worth it.

We did not do it through Carnival (nor are most of our tours through the ship), but I can see the advantage for this one. I would ask about the size of the excursion though. We had a small group of 20 or so people and that was a HUGE plus. I can't imagine being like sardines in a can on a boat for an hour to get to the Caye.

Good luck and have fun!

Goffs Caye Beach and Snorkel was awesome with Island Marketing

I think it was 40pp

One time we took a water taxi to Caulkers Caye and rented a golf cart with a guide for 25 dollars and just enjoyed island life and ate at a small beach hut and took the water taxi back.

I think the water taxi was 5pp but you have to walk into town a couple blocks to get to the taxi.

We did the Rendezvous Cay snorkel and really enjoyed it. They pick you up at the ship and you head out opposite of where the tenders go. It's the 2nd largest reef in the world, and largest living. (Great barrier is dying away). The guides were very knowledgable. we had time after to take a tender and hang out at port for a bit.

Been discussed a lot, but when Coral Breeze used Hammerhead for their boat crew they were fantastic. Now their ship has sunk as attested to us last April. You are correct, the ship excursion to Shark Ray Alley is overpriced, and it is a long ride and unless you want to really see Caulkner I would choose a snorkel option at one of the small cayes through an independent.My 2 cents worth.

• 4 weeks later...
We did the Rendezvous Cay snorkel and really enjoyed it. They pick you up at the ship and you head out opposite of where the tenders go. It's the 2nd largest reef in the world, and largest living. (Great barrier is dying away). The guides were very knowledgable. we had time after to take a tender and hang out at port for a bit.

What ship were you on that you were picked up at the cruise ship instead of tendering?

My husband and I just returned from a cruise which visited Belize City. We had read about the Belize City Zoo and wanted to visit, but the ship did not offer a tour that combined both places and it was difficult finding a tour company to take us. Someone on the zoo staff recommended a company called cavetubing.bz. We had a very good experience with them, from the initial planning emails , corresponding with the owner Vitalino Reyes, through the actual execution. We wanted to visit both the zoo and the Altun Ha Mayan site - two different directions and not something generally offered - but they put together a private independent tour for us that accomplished both. Our guide, a young man named Robin, had formerly worked at the zoo (which is really more like an animal sanctuary, operated on donations, with no government funding) and was very informative. It was definitely a worthwhile visit. He was very knowledgeable about both the zoo and the archeological site which followed. The company provided a very good hot lunch as well. We were very happy with the experience and definitely recommend the company.

IMO you do need to book a tour in Belize, not much to see in town. DW and I did the Shark Ray Tour with Coral Breeze and the tour was great. However, on our cruise this December we will be booking threw the ship because Belize is a tender port and those passengers that book with the ship get off first.

My husband and I just returned from a cruise which visited Belize City. We had read about the Belize City Zoo and wanted to visit, but the ship did not offer a tour that combined both places and it was difficult finding a tour company to take us. Someone on the zoo staff recommended a company called cavetubing.bz. We had a very good experience with them, from the initial planning emails , corresponding with the owner Vitalino Reyes, through the actual execution. We wanted to visit both the zoo and the Altun Ha Mayan site - two different directions and not something generally offered - but they put together a private independent tour for us that accomplished both. Our guide, a young man named Robin, had formerly worked at the zoo (which is really more like an animal sanctuary, operated on donations, with no government funding) and was very informative. It was definitely a worthwhile visit. He was very knowledgeable about both the zoo and the archeological site which followed. The company provided a very good hot lunch as well. We were very happy with the experience and definitely recommend the company.

This is the exact tour we want to do. We have contacted Vitalino and he emailed us back rate info. My only concern is the timing...was there enough, did you feel rushed, any worries about the last tender...was there time for shopping...oh and what did they charge you.

Thanks - Nana

IMO you do need to book a tour in Belize, not much to see in town. DW and I did the Shark Ray Tour with Coral Breeze and the tour was great. However, on our cruise this December we will be booking threw the ship because Belize is a tender port and those passengers that book with the ship get off first.

Unless you have FTTF then you get off when ever you want.