What Was The Funnest Thing a Passenger Said to You?

4x4bob

We live in Hawaii and a friend of ours used to work in a gift shop in Lahaina. Every once in a while a cruise ship passenger would ask him in all seriousness, "Do you take US dollars"?

I guess they forget that Hawaii is a state.

Funny :D , overheard the same ask about stamps in Alaska. When they were buying stamps for postcards to mail from Alaska at customer service and were given US stamps, they kept saying they wanted Alaskan stamps because it was the country they were in. :rolleyes:

Sadly, these people breed .... :o

LuLu

~~~

We live in Hawaii and a friend of ours used to work in a gift shop in Lahaina. Every once in a while a cruise ship passenger would ask him in all seriousness, "Do you take US dollars"?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh my, we were told back in '96 by a bus driver in Alaska that he was asked what the exchange rate was so someone could tip him in "American dollars". Great stories.

Funny :D , overheard the same ask about stamps in Alaska. When they were buying stamps for postcards to mail from Alaska at customer service and were given US stamps, they kept saying they wanted Alaskan stamps because it was the country they were in. :rolleyes:

Sadly, these people breed .... :o

LuLu

~~~

Even worse...they vote.

That's very funny. Where did he get the shirt?

I was in Seattle on business, got him the t-shirt. This is not the best one he has. In Reno, NV we picked one a tee that has "My wife has an opened mind" and below, in large letters "and a mouth to match". Big hit with young people :)

A girl who lives in Victoria, British Columbia (Canada) told me that now and then they have customers in her gift shop who come to BC with British Pounds. Probably the word "British" confuses them.

And yes, they breed and vote :rolleyes:

My daughter was just on a cruise with her husband. They are each getting close to 30 years old but not quite yet. Waiting in line for the tender one day a gentleman says to my daughter "You look different with your clothes on"!

After an "Excuse Me?" they sorted out that he thought she was one of the dancers onboard and presumably was referring to the show the night before.

A definite way with words!

Edited by AE_Collector

I was in Hawaii a few years ago (not on a cruise), but was on a van tour to the top of Mauna Kae at sunset (absolutely beautiful BTW). The guide told us that the most asked question was if Hawaii had different money. He always told them that they did, and it was two US dollars to one Hawaii dollar when tipping, etc. A few people believed him.

My daughter was just on a cruise with her husband. They are each getting close to 30 years old but not quite yet. Waiting in line for the tender one day a gentleman says to my daughter "You look different with your clothes on"!

After an "Excuse Me?" they sorted out that he thought she was one of the dancers onboard and presumably was referring to the show the night before.

On a Carnival cruise years ago, the dancers would lay out on the topless deck only wearing a minimal thong. In the ship's library the dancers were also responsible for opening the library and signing out books. In the library they wore long sleeve track suits. I though that same thing to myself, but thought better about saying it.

• 2 weeks later...
My husband and I were in a hurry to get breakfast, got on the elevator from... probably deck 3 to 11, a woman walked in, looked at the hubby, enthusiastically said: YES, YES!! We stopped at another deck, another woman walked in, same reaction.

When we got out of the elevator, I looked at him. He had a t-shirt on that said: if a man walks alone in the forest, is he still wrong?

LOVE IT! I need to find my DH one of those shirts, lol.

Here are a few funny things people have said to me after learning that I was born and raised in Hawaii:

Where did you learn to speak English?

How tall are pineapple trees?

What is the currency exchange?

I could go on and on but you get the idea. :D:D

Here are a few funny things people have said to me after learning that I was born and raised in Hawaii:

Where did you learn to speak English?

How tall are pineapple trees?

What is the currency exchange?

I could go on and on but you get the idea. :D:D

You sure wouldn't want one of those suckers falling out of the tree and hitting you on the head. :eek:

I found this a bit funny. When we did Bermuda from NY I had a gal ask me quite surprised if I was from the south. Yes I have a strong southern accent-Lol! I just could not understand why she could not believe a southerner would cruise to Bermuda. I have never had that happen on any other cruise, although on a Med cruise I had a lady come up to me and start speaking French. I looked at her and "no parlez vous Francais, parelez vous English." she switched to English then. It was embarkation day and she wanted to know if I knew when our staterooms would be ready. Now if she had asked where the bathroom was I would have understood "Femmes toilete!" Lol!

I'm not making this up:

We were at the aft elevators and a woman wanted to know which elevator to take to get to the front of the ship.

You need to take the aft elevators. If you took the bow elevators, you would already be at the front. DUH!:rolleyes:

you sure wouldn't want one of those suckers falling out of the tree and hitting you on the head. :eek:

like!!!

I've also been asked "What language do people speak in your country?" :D

Edited by JimAOk1945

like!!!

I've also been asked "What language do people speak in your country?" :D

Lol! it is more than English for sure! If we speak English, that is. I will never forget doing a tour in France at a natural vegetable farm-the woman was calling a vegetable marrow that looked very much like a squash. I found out Brits call it marrow not squash. I had stupidly spoke up and said it looked like a squash and our guide corrected her and told her she used the wrong English word that we were Americans on that tour not Brits. I felt so badly for her as she had already told us her English was out of practice and so she had practiced her speech for us. Poor woman! I quickly told her her English was much much better than my French as I only knew a handful of French words.

I found this a bit funny. When we did Bermuda from NY I had a gal ask me quite surprised if I was from the south. Yes I have a strong southern accent-Lol! I just could not understand why she could not believe a southerner would cruise to Bermuda.

Your just reminded me of another one. I'm from California. I once had a lady tell me that east coasters just couldn't understand why people from the west coast came all the way to Florida to cruise the Caribbean. I patiently explained to her it was because we didn't have the Caribbean on our coast.

Lol! it is more than English for sure! If we speak English, that is. I will never forget doing a tour in France at a natural vegetable farm-the woman was calling a vegetable marrow that looked very much like a squash. I found out Brits call it marrow not squash. I had stupidly spoke up and said it looked like a squash and our guide corrected her and told her she used the wrong English word that we were Americans on that tour not Brits. I felt so badly for her as she had already told us her English was out of practice and so she had practiced her speech for us. Poor woman! I quickly told her her English was much much better than my French as I only knew a handful of French words.

I meant organic vegetable farm-lol!

Oh dear! That was NO gentleman--case of mistaken identity or not. What a fun thread. Now I know not to take anything a fellow cruiser says to me personally! I'll now be on the lookout for collectable quotes.

Your just reminded me of another one. I'm from California. I once had a lady tell me that east coasters just couldn't understand why people from the west coast came all the way to Florida to cruise the Caribbean. I patiently explained to her it was because we didn't have the Caribbean on our coast.

I get you! we may cruise the Caribbean more often, it being closer and more affordable for us, but we also want to see new. I will admit of our 22 cruises, 14 of those were out of Florida, and about half of those 5 days or less, but we still try to do something nicer every 2 or 3 years.

We took a California coastal last October and none from your state questioned us and all were very welcoming. I thought it was a great way to see a bit of California. We met a couple from Alabama on ship ( plus, we met a group from Tennessee post cruise doing a California wine tour) and also a couple from Scotland. So we were not the only ones who wanted to spend time in your state by cruise ship, lol!