Rail Excursions

pusywillow

First timer to Alaska and I am a little confused which rail tour to take. One says Yukon Expedition and White Pass Rail. The other says White Pass Rail, Summit, Saloon and Salmon bake. I guess the second one doesn't go to the Yukon.

Which would you choose? Am I really missing out by not going all the way to the Yukon? This will probably be my only trip to Alaska and I want to see as much as possible. Thanks for your opinions!

Sue

You are correct in that the second one does not go to the Yukon. The first one is likely (can't be sure without reading the details) a bus/van trip to Emerald Lake and the train back (or in reverse order). The other one likely goes to the US/Canadian border and back (without getting off the train). If it is seeing things that interests you, then the Yukon trip will likely provide you with more.

We went all the way to the Yukon and Emerald Lake. I'm so glad we did. Emerald Lake is just beautiful. We took the train up and a bus back. We went through Chilkoot Charters. Their prices included the train ticket. There was another company, which is also highly recommended here on CC (Dyea Dave I think?), that does not include the train ticket and you have to purchase it at the train station (or at least that was the way it worked last year). We also got lunch (pretty good food) and got to play with sled dog puppies. Plus how many people can say they've been to the worlds smallest desert in the world located in the Yukon?