Live From The Grand - 3/5/14 - Mexico, CA and HI

ccrain

The deputy cruise director is Kez from Portsmouth. The morning show was short and sweet. We have sailed with Gavin Chandler before, in 2008 on the Dawn, and as I review our logs of our past cruises, with Kez as well in 2007 on the Star. She was our line dance instructor back then. Our Captain is Andrea Poggi and our head chef is Jeremy Snowden, both of whom we have sailed with before. No one from the last couple of cruises looks familiar, but the trip is still young.

We have two days at sea to Cabo. The weather last night was chilly out of SFO, but the water was not too rough. Of course we are sailing south with the current, so it’s less rough than it will be coming back. We did encounter fog sometime last night as the foghorn came on, then went out, then came on again. Don’t know if it will delay our arrival into Cabo or not. We shall see.

So let’s take a look at the Patter for the day. This morning is of course, ZUMBA. Yes as you all know, we are pretty much hooked on Zumba. We only miss a few classes. Continuing the exercise theme, there is the free classes in the gym – lean and stretch class, abs, body sculpt, detox, total body conditioning. For paid classes there is Yoga, cycling and suspension training.

On the enrichment lecture side we have a Drone lecture from a USAF Colonel (Roland Guidry), Liquid Facelift, International Hair Show, Journaling, Insider Secrets to Art Collecting (insert snarky remark here). And of course the ubiquitous shopping show.

For movies we have Gravity in Vista, Big, Barry Manilow and Back to the Future on MUTS for the day shows. Hunger Games, Catching Fire on MUTS tonight.

We have line dance class, ballroom class (merengue), Kinect, Bridge, Knitters, Digital Photography, Bingo, a boat building contest, Dicey Wooden Horse racing, and last but certainly not least ONLY TWO trivias during the day. OMG the riots will startsoon…just kidding…

Tonight’s entertainment we have canned ballroom music at 1800, the Randy Heddon Quartet in the Wheelhouse, Craig Richards for three shows in the Princess Theater, Steve Moris for two shows in Vista and Retrospect in Explorers.

Gee, nothing to do today….

Drove past the SF Pier on my way to Oakland this afternoon, and I saw the Grand parked there for the first time! It's much larger than I expected.

I waved at you. Did you see me?

Missed you! Catch you on the flip side...

Sounds like there are a lot of us planning to be aboard the 4/13 Grand 15-day to Hawaii. I would like to know about the Sanctuary, esp from a B2B passenger. Are you planning to book it? What cost is being quoted? What is the availability like?

TIA and have a wonderful time!

$20 per half day and $40 per full day, per person...

We'll be on the Grand to HI on the 22nd. Guess you'll be sailing on that one too, right? Sounds like you'll be ready to relax on those long at-sea days. Look for us. We'll be the ones in hawaiian shirts sipping mai tais:)

Have a great cruise!

The ones in matching HI shirts, Wal Mart specials, me with a LIIT and her with her martini!

But we could always be talked into a Mai Tai..

We'll be on the first leg - and may do a live review too. But I often think I will and then... suddenly it's the last day of the cruise and I've written nothing.

So I'm glad someone else is doing this!

The types of threads are meant to convey real time information and perceptions. The more contributors, the merrier. So do chime in when you feel like it. Don't be bashful...

We were getting off the Grand when you were getting on. The head chef and CD also got off with us, so yours are new. Jenny the Shopping lady, Kez and really all the staff are great. I think Gary Sheehan will still be onboard doing enrichment lectures and he was partly responsible for us spending way too much time in the Princess theater! Really interesting talks. Our favorite bartender is Tetyana in the Piazza bar- she makes the best sunshine dacquaris!

Sanctuary was $20 for half day, $40 for full day

Alfredo's only had pizza

No drink package offered to us, but on the last sea day we saw the signs so I'm guessing that they are rolling it out now.

Movies we had were Gravity, Rush, Captain Phillips, Last Vegas, Blue Jasmine, Thor, World War Z, and the second Hunger games movie.

We saw Uber Rossi and he was very funny.

Have fun and enjoy all that amazing food (The chefs on the Grand were some of the best cooks of seafood ever, but no one we talked to liked the lamb. Our favorites beside all the wonderful seafood were the smoked duck breast, and the stilton mousse- we ate these two together and it was so good we ordered more instead of dessert, and the goat cheese soufflé)

Oh my.....while I am trying to detox after our Hawaii trip on the Grand (just disembarked yesterday) I find your live thread. So glad. It was the first cruise I have ever gained weight on. I have to admit the food was the best on any cruise we have been on..hope your new chef is as good.

We found Kez to be full of energy and always up!! She is crazy!!! We loved Miranda and Zumba; also she has an incredible voice and was a favorite performer in the piazza. We too, like to do DIY while in ports... Enjoy!

I will be following your review.....wish we were with you.

Love, love, love your review! Keep them coming. I'm very interested in your critique of any musical entertainment on board, any food comments, and show reviews. Love seeing your pics too. Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed. Can't wait to join you on the 22nd!

Yesterday was a near perfect first full at sea. Zumba was energetic with Lexi and with a completely different routine from the standard Princess Zumba choreography. But we both kept up.

While our bathroom is a different configuration, it is larger as well. You can’t sit on the john and brush your teeth anymore, but the shower is larger as well. However, our closet is stuffed to the limit for the first time in many cruises.

Lunch at Alfredo’s. Judy’s Zen pizza and my Tarantina with a Blue Moon chaser. The roasted garlic made all the difference on her Zen. It was better than the day before and that crust is very tasty. Lunch was followed by the obligatory power nap – my favorite part of the day.

They have moved the elite lounge from One5 to the Vista lounge because there are 1200 CC members on this cruise. 400 Elites. So much for us getting into the most traveled. Last night was the beef tartare, with the usual veggies. Needed some diced Jalapeno in the beef tartare. Paulo, the head chef on the last cruise, must have gone through pallets of Jalapenos as they showed up everywhere.

The highlight of the evening was Steve Moris’ show in Vista. Unfortunately he’s getting off in Cabo. Darn. He is one of Princess’ regulars and his style is music and comedy. He’s so personable on the stage, it feels like you’re having a drink and a conversation with him and just a few friends – not an entire audience. He’s a don’t miss for sure.

We did dance to canned music for a while and also to Retrospect. We like Retrospect. The lead singer, female, does not change the words or tempo or beat. She just sings, so its easy to dance to. Lots of dancers on this ship – although our experience has been that that’s typically for a CA origination cruise.

So let’s look at the Patter for the day:

We have Zumba at 0915 this morning. And Gavin has promised to show up. He failed yesterday. In the gym there is Stretch, Yoga, Body Conditioning and Strength this morning, with Suspension Training and Abs late in the afternoon.

For lecturers we have an Iran Hostage Rescue Mission look back from Roland Guidry (Col USAF). A bridge lecture, acupuncture, flatter stomach, facelift, digital photography – the advanced class and Good Feet.

For shopping there is the big sale event in the dining room, a Mexican fire opal event, the first of many champagne art auctions.

For movies we have The Princess Bride, Stevie Wonder and City Slickers during the day on MUTS with WWZ on MUTS tonight (book was much better). Las Vegas is showing in Vista.

For activities we have Line Dancing, Wet and Wacky pool games, bingo and a couple of trivias, bean bag toss, origami and a pub lunch is being served in Crown Grill.

Tonight is the first of two formal nights. The Captain’s Gala. So we have the champagne waterfall, dressing up and lots of photos. Speaking of photos, we ran into Tam, the Platinum Studio photographer whom we had on the Asian cruise in 2012 and the Grand Med cruise in 2011. Nice to see a familiar face once in a while!

Tonight’s entertainment is the production show Stardust, comedian/acrobat Uber Rossi, dancing in Explorers and wheelhouse, two piano entertainers in Crooners – Pete Thompson and Crescenzio. Pop star heat #1 is tonight as well.

As usual, nothing to do.

Coffee is good this morning. We are skipping latte’s every other day and just having the brewed coffee. The brewed coffee is good, better than on the Ruby. Weather is perfect. No fog this morning, no swells to talk about. Motion is minimal. Temperature is picking up with a high of 72.

He is one of the entertainers that will be on board i just wanted to know if he will be on the 15th , he is the son of the oldies singer Jackie Wilson. Thanks

I will try and get to one of the staff to see if he will be on next cruise or not....

Everybody off the ship! Plan for the day is there is no plan. A workout in the gym, a brisk walk, when the tenders calm day maybe a trip ashore for some Mexican food. Who knows. Who cares? Woke up to whales, or dolphins, or both, having fun about a mile off the ship this morning. Even hard to see on the video screen at full magnification. Did not bring binoculars this time.

Anyway, let’s do a recap of yesterday…

So we started our day with coffee in the Piazza. A bit different setup than IC’s on other ships we’ve been on recently. While there are servers around the atrium, there isn’t as many as on, say the Ruby or the CB. It’s much faster to get your own coffee. Specialty teas you still have to order – and they do have the ginger twist on board – which are excellent accompaniments to the coffee card.

Zumba with Lexi was pretty intense and a good way to start the day off on the right foot. Lunch was in the HC with a nice green salad, balsamic dressing, lots of veggie stuff and a cold cut sandwich. Topped off with a LIIT. Hmmm nice. Judy had the Mexican meatball soup. Not too bad, but I would have preferred a little more meatball flavor in my soup.

Tonight was formal night, but we did make it to the Elite Lounge in Vista. They say they will move it back to One5 on the next cruise as there is not as many elites and platinums on that cruise. Not a lot of kids on this cruise either. Thank goodness.

We went to see Uber Rossi. We always like new stuff, especially comedians. An acrobat comedian. He can do some pretty amazing stuff. Hand walking, on a single hand, across the stage while dribbling a basket ball with the other hand. Front flips, back flips and a balancing his whole body, via his head, on a basketball. Pretty amazing. Comedy was ok. We’ve had worst, we’ve had better, but still worth while seeing. Although he’s supposed to get off in PV. Gee, you all on the coastal are going to be missing him and Steve Moris!

The morning show is pretty good in the morning. Since we’re not doing much outside on these cruises we can lay around and watch the show. Gavin is as we remember him. A good CD so far, but we will have to talk to him about ballroom dance canned music selection. I think they got a copy of the same music playlist we had a couple of cruises ago. Four tangos in a row, then four sambas, then four cha chas, then…And the music just doesn’t sound right. Sounds like a 64 bit version, a little tinny.

A couple of new and interesting stuff in the Patter this morning. Ahh that white chocolate latte tastes good. They have the crab shack on the Grand now. $20 per person. Have not done it, but we might. Just not sure yet. We will at least take a look and see what’s going on. Gravity is on at MUTS tonight, so that is priority #1. Rock and roll night as well.

Not much going on today as it is a port day. Captain Phillips is on in the Princess Theater this afternoon. Top Gun and Philadelphia Story on MUTS. Carpet Bowling, Ping Pong, Jenga, Ring Toss and Trivia (morning and afternoon). Tonight is Nebraska in Vista, John Bressler in the Theater and the Yes/No gameshow.

I will definitely visit the gym this morning and see what machines are available. We might go ashore afterwards when things calm down, but its not necessary for us to go to Cabo. Been there, done that. Loreto and La Paz are new though, so we need to at least check them out.

E’ya all later…

. This is going to be a B2B2B starting with a 10 day Mexico, followed by a 7 day CA coastal, followed by a 15 day Hawaii. The 10 day Mexico takes us to Cabo, Loreto, La Paz, Puerto Vallarta. Then we have the 7 day coastal which takes us to Ensenda, San Diego, Santa Barbara and Long Beach. Then we do the 15 day HI cruise to the Big Island, Oahu, Maui and Kauai.

. So if anyone plans to go on the Grand later, ask your questions and I’ll try and answer them.

.!

Please forgive me if it has been stated elsewhere but are these cruises all on the Grand and consecutive days? How does one go about getting a good price for this kind of lengthy cruise? We sail out of San Francisco and would love to avoid air flights if we could. :)

Love your "Live". We will be on an April 15 day and on Caribe. We have been on other Princess ships with Caribe but as you mentioned this room is a little different. Can you let me know if the layout in many of the Caribe balcony rooms are similiar. We will be forward in the 200's. Thanks so much for doing all this work.

Please forgive me if it has been stated elsewhere but are these cruises all on the Grand and consecutive days? How does one go about getting a good price for this kind of lengthy cruise? We sail out of San Francisco and would love to avoid air flights if we could. :)

Yes, these are all consecutive cruises on the Grand. I basically do all the cruise shopping via an internet based travel agent and compare itineraries on a per person, per day rate.

This one popped up on my radar last year as a relatively simple set of cruises at a reasonable price, just before spring break and just after new years. For us its just not worth doing 7 or 10 day cruises anymore with airfare so high. We buy FCCs on board and have Carnival Stock as well, so we get $100's of OBCs per cruise that lowers the overall price. Not to mention the fact that we won't be buying photos or excursions on this set of cruises also helps in reducing the overall price...