iron

Gregam

Just found out that we cannot have a clothing iron on the ship. Is this true? If so what are the options....what does it cost to have them iron something for you? Thanks in advance!

It's true...irons are a prohibited item.

Most, if not all, of the cabins decks have a laundry room. There's an iron, no charge.

Or you can have your ironing sent out for a fee. I've never used it, so I don't know the prices.

Pack using dry cleaning bags or tissue paper--prevents wrinkles.

If it's not a linen outfit, no one will notice a little wrinkle.

Use the on board laundry room as it's more convenient than sending it out--free too. Go at a time when not a bunch of people are dressing for dinner so you won't find a line.

There are irons in the laundry rooms, but I find hanging my clothes in the bathroom while I shower works well. I pack my dresses in dry cleaner bags though and that helps a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always used the iron onboard in the laundry room. Do not wait until right before dinner on elegant night to iron your clothes or you will be waiting a long time. There is always a long line then. I usually iron the clothes the morning of elegant night when there is no line.

NUMBER ONE reason for fear on a ship, any ship is FIRE!!!!

That one poster is endangering the lives of everyone else on the ship!

It is foolish to keep doing that!

There are always a ton of arguments on CC about Dress Codes, booze smuggling, etc....this is one area you need to adhere to the rules!!

DO NOT BRING AN IRON WITH YOU.

I used to always bring a travel iron/steamer combo and never had anyone question it. But these days I don't have the room and I no longer have clothes that need to be ironed anyway. Every Carnival ship I've been on has a laundry room that has an iron you can use. It's free. I only had to use an iron in the laundry room once and that was on our last cruise when the DS didn't listen to me and just shoved his dress shirt into his suitcase at the last minute. :eek:

If you do bring a travel iron on board...please be responsible and don't walk a way from it.;) Irons don't cause fires...it's people being irresponsible when leaving one unattended that might cause one. By the way, to those that say "irons cause fires"...really, when was the last time you heard of an iron causing a fire!? Just curious!

Edited by mousey

There are always a ton of arguments on CC about Dress Codes, booze smuggling, etc....this is one area you need to adhere to the rules!!

Second what you say!

I used to always bring a travel iron/steamer combo and never had anyone question it. But these days I don't have the room and I no longer have clothes that need to be ironed anyway. Every Carnival ship I've been on has a laundry room that has an iron you can use. It's free. I only had to use an iron in the laundry room once and that was on our last cruise when the DS didn't listen to me and just shoved his dress shirt into his suitcase at the last minute. :eek:

If you do bring a travel iron on board...please be responsible and don't walk a way from it.;) Irons don't cause fires...it's people being irresponsible when leaving one unattended that might cause one. By the way, to those that say "irons cause fires"...really, when was the last time you heard of an iron causing a fire!? Just curious!

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2013/03/muskegon_apartment_fire_possib.html

http://www.theexpertinstitute.com/case-studies/design-defect-allegedly-causes-clothing-iron-to-burst-into-flames/

http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/LatestIncidentsContainer_26jul12AV.asp#.UxjwRLK9KSM

These are just 3 instances where clothing irons cause fires.

Taking an iron on a ship is negligent and irresponsible. They are prohibited for a reason and it's not so everyone can walk around the ship wrinkled. I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for starting a fire aboard ship and stranding fellow pax at sea or worse. Use Downy or Magic wrinkle release, go to the ships laundry room or send your garment out for pressing if you need to be wrinkle free.

There's also the poor traveling business man's trick. At night, before you go to bed, lift the mattress and lay your clothing out flat between the mattress and box springs. When you get up in the morning, Voila! Your clothes are pressed.;)

Is the attitude really necessary? I am responsible and NEVER leave my iron. I have never heard of a clothing iron starting a fire on a ship. Maybe you shouldn't judge other people and worry about yourself.

Just found out that we cannot have a clothing iron on the ship. Is this true? If so what are the options....what does it cost to have them iron something for you? Thanks in advance!

There are irons in the launderettes around the ship. You can do it yourself.

Or you can send them out to be pressed, the rates are a tad better than on land.

Your choice.

Is the attitude really necessary? I am responsible and NEVER leave my iron. I have never heard of a clothing iron starting a fire on a ship. Maybe you shouldn't judge other people and worry about yourself.

It wouldn't be the iron that starts the fire (unless the obvious). It's the overload of the electrical system. Your lights ever dim in your house if you plug in the iron in a poorly wired section of your house, or cabin.

Ships wiring does not cover that voltage.

There's also the poor traveling business man's trick. At night, before you go to bed, lift the mattress and lay your clothing out flat between the mattress and box springs. When you get up in the morning, Voila! Your clothes are pressed.;)

There are no box springs on the ship.

It wouldn't be the iron that starts the fire (unless the obvious). It's the overload of the electrical system. Your lights ever dim in your house if you plug in the iron in a poorly wired section of your house, or cabin.

Ships wiring does not cover that voltage.

Which is why I ALWAYS have a bucket of water next to me just in case.

Which is why I ALWAYS have a bucket of water next to me just in case.

The fire wouldn't necessarily be in your cabin. It would be where the overload occurred, and wasn't "tripped".

ss-morro-castle-extinguish-fire_47183_600x450.jpg

Edited by Lace

Downy wrinkle release is a great option and another way around the no clothes iron rule is to pack a flat iron for hair, it is allowed and works on clothes in a pinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2013/03/muskegon_apartment_fire_possib.html

http://www.theexpertinstitute.com/case-studies/design-defect-allegedly-causes-clothing-iron-to-burst-into-flames/

http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/LatestIncidentsContainer_26jul12AV.asp#.UxjwRLK9KSM

These are just 3 instances where clothing irons cause fires.

Taking an iron on a ship is negligent and irresponsible. They are prohibited for a reason and it's not so everyone can walk around the ship wrinkled. I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for starting a fire aboard ship and stranding fellow pax at sea or worse. Use Downy or Magic wrinkle release, go to the ships laundry room or send your garment out for pressing if you need to be wrinkle free.

Exactly, none of those fires were on a ship! :rolleyes: Show me the last time an iron caused a fire on a ship. It's not something I take with me anymore, but I don't think it's the end of the world if someone does. JMHO!

Also, what Christmas said!:)

Edited by mousey

They are worried about themselves and others.

Exactly, none of those fires were on a ship! :rolleyes: Show me the last time an iron caused a fire on a ship. It's not something I take with me anymore, but I don't think it's the end of the world if someone does. JMHO!

Also, what Christmas said!:)

Maybe that is because irons are prohibited and are conficated if found, therefore not many irons make it onboard.

Show me the last time an iron caused a fire on a ship. It's not something I take with me anymore, but I don't think it's the end of the world if someone does. JMHO!

Just because you've never heard it happen, doesn't mean it can't happen.