Taku Glacier Lodge

Let'sCruise

I am considering doing the floatplane with the salmon feast at Taku Glacier Lodge in early June. Does anyone know the chances of seeing bears while at the lodge? I have seen some youtube videos of the bears attracted by the salmon cooking.

We did that trip last year at the end of August. We loved every second of it. We were lucky enough to see a bear. She got up on the grill and the staff called us to come outside (quietly!) and we all stood around (quietly) snapping pictures of her. I don't know if bears come out all the time but that was our experience. I had heard that sometimes there was a mom and her cubs, but we just saw the one bear. It was awesome (as in, we all stood around in awe).

We did that excusrion back in September 2012 and did see the bears then. The trip was really about the float plane & a great salmon lunch. The bears were just a bonus and there was a sow with two cubs. When we arrived, they were all hanging out about 20 feet up in a big tree, watching the cooks at the grill.

As soon as we went inside, down they came from the tree and went to digging into the grill for whatever they could find. We were able to get a few pictures of them before they left.

In all the posts & reviews I have read, you probably have a better chance of seeing them, than not seeing them as got the impression they hang out around there a lot. If you are mostly wanting to see bears, look at one of the bear tours. That is what I want to do if we get back there in the summer. We usually go in late September and the chances are much smaller in seeing them that late in the year, and given the costs, I don't want to spend that kind of money unless I believe there is a good chance of a bear sighting.

David

• 3 weeks later...
We are interested in dong this in early May - how was the entire excursion? Ours will be three hours. Can anyone provide details?

Is it being offered early May? May be a less than ideal time with snow outside on the ground.

We did this tour in June 2012, and we saw a mother bear and cubs. However, the highlight of the tour for me was really the flight over the glaciers and the salmon dinner. It was amazing to look down on the glaciers and see the gorgeous blue ice. There was six of us traveling together and it was the favorite excursion for five of the six. The food was delicious, and being able to stand and see the glacier right across the river was amazing. You will want good bug spray those because the mosquitoes were voracious when walking around outside the lodge.

We will be in Juneau mid-July from RCCL Radiance cruise. Looking at the 2 salmon bake excursions - Gold Creek Salmon Bake/Mendenhall Glacier or Taku Lodge Float Plane Tour & Salmon Bake. BIG price difference!!:eek: Not sure if we will ever get the chance to return to Alaska, so my question to you experienced Alaska visitors, is it worth a lot more $$ to fly to Taku Lodge?:rolleyes: Is the wild king salmon better there than Gold Creek?:p Appreciate comments from those who have experienced one or both!!

We did Taku Lodge and loved it. You fly over the glaciers. To us it was worth it because, as you say, who knows when we'll get back there again. We wanted to see as much as we could possibly see given our short visit. I can't compare between the two. When in doubt, check Tripadvisor. There will be reviews and ratings for each. We also did Mendenhall on our own. We took the bus, walked around, saw some bald eagles, hiked to the falls and saw the glacier and then took the bus back. Then we did the Taku trip in the afternoon. It was a great day!

Edited to add: We booked it ourselves rather than through the ship because we didn't like the times the ship had available. It was a bit cheaper doing it that way too, I think. You can walk to their office from the pier.

Edited by AmberCascades

Thks for your response AmberCascades!

Talking the 2 tours over with DH and we are seriously considering the Taku Lodge float plane/salmon bake trip!:p He was asking which time may be better for this trip, a.m. or p.m., and why?:rolleyes: Thanks so much everybody! Need to hear some thoughts!:cool:

I think we went around 12:30 or 1:00. Mainly because we didn't want to eat salmon at 10:00 in the morning. But that's just us. It was sunny the whole day so I didn't notice if there would be a difference weather-wise. In some places there may be a chance of fog or something in the morning, but I don't know about Juneau. Budget Queen usually knows the answers to these questions.:)

We did the afternoon tour because the morning tour was already filled. It turned out to be to our advantage because it was foggy in the morning and those tours were cancelled that day. I don't know if that is a common experience, but it happened when we were there.

Oh man! I hope it doesn't get cancelled for us!:( I did end up booking the 10:30am flight because it will be around lunchtime by the time we eat. The flight is supposed to be at least 30 minutes and then food is ready about half an hour or so after that, I think, so we should be hungry for lunch by then!:p We are early risers, so will have breakfast first thing that morning and enjoy our coffee and the views off the ship!

I still dream about that meal. :) I hope you have a good time. You can buy drinks there too. I had my first Alaskan Amber, which was lovely. My husband is gluten intolerant so he had some kind of cider instead. He thought it was delicious. They had water and some kind of soft drink as well (maybe ice tea and/or lemonade) for no extra charge.

General information. I find the meals similar with good salmon at both Taku and Gold Creek. It is important, at Gold Creek to wait out your meal and watch for the "freshest". I pick up my salmon as it's finishing cooking, I don't want the "wait" stuff. :)

I also am picky about my flights and although the Taku flight seeing is very scenic, it's too short for my preferences, I prefer a separate flight that is longer. And actually give an edge to glacier helicopter trips out of Juneau. The landings are spectacular.

There is no way to predict what the weather is going to be. I think it more important to book based on the ENTIRE day. If you have a long port time, I wouldn't suggest you book a Taku tour in the middle of the time. Leaving a block of time at the begining or end of your port day, allows more touring. I don't advocate wasted time. :)

Oh man! I hope it doesn't get cancelled for us!:( I did end up booking the 10:30am flight because it will be around lunchtime by the time we eat. The flight is supposed to be at least 30 minutes and then food is ready about half an hour or so after that, I think, so we should be hungry for lunch by then!:p We are early risers, so will have breakfast first thing that morning and enjoy our coffee and the views off the ship!

You have to be prepared for canceled flight tours in Alaska. I always suggest people have back up plans and any phone numbers handy. These tours can cancel at the last minute. It's important to get right on the phone and see if alternatives can be arranged, if you want to take advantage of your limited port time.

Oh yes, that's a good point. I think we were there from 9 until 6 or something. We got off the ship asap and headed to Mendenhall since everyone said it would get busy later. Then we went for our Taku trip and afterwards we had about an hour for some shopping (because I had to get some glacier soap!). We never did get to do the self-guided walking tour I was hoping for. Next time. Hopefully there will be a next time. :)

You have to be prepared for canceled flight tours in Alaska. I always suggest people have back up plans and any phone numbers handy. These tours can cancel at the last minute. It's important to get right on the phone and see if alternatives can be arranged, if you want to take advantage of your limited port time.

Yep, weather can be tricky anywhere!:rolleyes: I make notes of all tour numbers in my phone and will call them if it cancels to, hopefully, re-schedule for a later time; if not, there are other things we can do on our own in Juneau, such as bus to Mendenhall with a walk to the waterfall, and possibly including the Gold Creek salmon bake if room is available. We really want to do that flight to Taku but, if fog/storm occurs, we will divert to something else. Refuse to let tour cancellations ruin our trip!;) We are a pretty easy-going couple and aged enough to "not sweat the small stuff!":cool: Thanks so much for your expertise Budget Queen and pray that your health improves and you can keep on cruising in style! Maybe someday, we'll run into each other on a ship!

Oh yes, that's a good point. I think we were there from 9 until 6 or something. We got off the ship asap and headed to Mendenhall since everyone said it would get busy later. Then we went for our Taku trip and afterwards we had about an hour for some shopping (because I had to get some glacier soap!). We never did get to do the self-guided walking tour I was hoping for. Next time. Hopefully there will be a next time. :)

ROS will be docked in Juneau from 9a to 9p on Sunday, so we'll have a really long day there and have plenty of time to see lots of sites!!:cool:

Thanks so much for your expertise Budget Queen and pray that your health improves and you can keep on cruising in style! Maybe someday, we'll run into each other on a ship!

Thank you so much for the well wishes. Actually, tomorrow, it will 1 year, that I've been home from that 15 week hospital/rehab stay. :) :) :) I live for today and enjoy each and every one.

Edited by Budget Queen

• 3 weeks later...