Why the fuss about true inside passage?

backheidi

So often people seem to criticize any cruise that is not inside passage from Vancouver. Since it is only a small part of the cruise (with RT Seattle ships visiting the same cities) I am just wondering why so much fuss about this. I have been on many cruises from NYC and Florida where you are often on open waters (with no land in sight). But I have never not enjoyed these cruises because for me it was about the ship and the islands we would be visiting. As for rough seas, the Atlantic from NYC in particular is sometimes very rough (so rough that when we went to Bermuda, we had to stay inside and you could hear glasses from the bar falling off and breaking.....and my husband and daughter got a kick out of it...well not broken glasses...but watching the huge waves). Are the waters from Seattle a lot rougher then those from NYC or Florida? It seems ships from Seattle are rated just as high as from other locations and again visit the same cities in Alaska....so just confused why so many anti Seattle RT comments.

Are you genuinely looking for an answer or are you trying to criticize those who criticize? I haven't noticed any Seattle bashing but most people ask which is preferred and why and people tend to answer with their preference and why. If their preference doesn't happen to be Seattle then I don't think anyone should take it personally.

For many people, and I am one of them, Alaska isn't about the cities visited. It is about the scenery and wildlife. When you sail from Seattle and spend a day out of sight of land, you are losing a day of wonderful sights and exciting wildlife sightings. There are times when I cruise for the ship, but Alaska is not one of them.

IMO, there are pros and cons to sailing out of Vancouver vs Seattle. Its for each person to decide which is better for them.

Pros (of Vancouver vs Seattle):

Scenery is better the first/last days, this depends on the time of year as it can get dark early.

The seas are generally calmer on this route, since you are in the open ocean less.

Cons:

Cost of flying into/out of Vancouver.

Cost of hotels (of course this can vary).

Cruise fares seem to be higher.

Also - the smaller Holland ships generally sail out of Vancouver, the larger out of Seattle.

Are you genuinely looking for an answer or are you trying to criticize those who criticize? I haven't noticed any Seattle bashing but most people ask which is preferred and why and people tend to answer with their preference and why. If their preference doesn't happen to be Seattle then I don't think anyone should take it personally.

I am being very sincere as it does sometimes seem to border on Seattle bashing yet I seldom have read reviews where a trip to Alaska is disliked (whether one way or RT from Seattle or Vancouver...the complaints seem to be more about the shape of a ship, ship staff, entertainment, etc.). Yet on these forums, which route you take seems to have harsh criticism.....I am just baffled by it (and land and ship versus RT seems to take some hits too).

Edited by backheidi

So often people seem to criticize any cruise that is not inside passage from Vancouver. Since it is only a small part of the cruise (with RT Seattle ships visiting the same cities) I am just wondering why so much fuss about this. I have been on many cruises from NYC and Florida where you are often on open waters (with no land in sight). But I have never not enjoyed these cruises because for me it was about the ship and the islands we would be visiting. As for rough seas, the Atlantic from NYC in particular is sometimes very rough (so rough that when we went to Bermuda, we had to stay inside and you could hear glasses from the bar falling off and breaking.....and my husband and daughter got a kick out of it...well not broken glasses...but watching the huge waves). Are the waters from Seattle a lot rougher then those from NYC or Florida? It seems ships from Seattle are rated just as high as from other locations and again visit the same cities in Alaska....so just confused why so many anti Seattle RT comments.

We have done both. As DaveOKC mentions, there are pros and cons to each. One of the cons of cruising out of Seattle is, as Goodie2shoes observes, the fact that you are cruising on the outside of Vancouver Island the first and last days, and are essentially spending a day at sea each way, therefore less time in the ports. There's also that silly evening stop in Victoria, BC, to satisfy the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act).

Both Vancouver and Seattle are interesting and scenic places to spend some time either pre or post cruise. Since we live in Seattle, it's more convenient for us to leave from Seattle, obviously. You also have to consider the itineraries out of each city. Which ports do you want to visit? How long do you want to spend in each port? What do you want to see and do? Is the cruise line or particular ship a factor?

The solution, for us, has been to re-visit Alaska every summer, and make different choices each time :D We are fortunate to be able to do this.

We always choose Vancouver because we can drive to it easier than Seattle.

We are Canadians that live four hours away from Vancouver . Seattle depending on the day could be a 10 hour drive (3 hours for border crossing plus a 7 hour drive). many times when we cruise to Alaska we can use land based tours until we drop the pilot at Pine island.

Edited by Kamloops50

We have done both and if everything was equal, the trip from Vancouver did let you see the inside passage. Since we went in the middle of September, by the time we really got into it, it was too dark to see much of anything.

If we went a 4th time, the best overall price for everything, cruise/airfare/hotels would be the deciding factor. Living in the USA, Seattle is normally the best option as cheaper to fly into for us. I actually prefer the run from Seattle as I like the open ocean with some wave action. That's why we book a room up in the very front of the ship, as high up as we can get.

But I would not hesitate to cruise from either port.

David

I post facts. Round trip Seattle sailings are the least scenic. This does NOT mean they aren't good choices, in my opinion they are. I also do not agree with some posts who claim only one ways are worthwhile. :) I've done a lot of round trip Seattle cruises (including another this year) as well as other routings.

I find sometimes the people who take offense are trying to justify their decisions? Which may mean some uncertainty???

There is no right or wrong. Most people fully enjoy their Alaska visits, no matter how they go. Some advice I have, Alaska isn't the Caribbean. :)

Amen to what Budget Queen said.

Backheidi I know you were sincere with your question - sorry you got some flippant answers. I have only 3 AK cruises under my belt and have never cruised out of the east coast so I really don't know what that cruising is all about.

My first AK cruise was back in 2002 - then our Seattle departure did go on the inside of the island - it was about midnight when we went through the Seymour Narrows - we woke up the next morning at the north end of the island - just at the open ocean area. I think our first stop was Juneau after a day and a half "at sea". The second cruise the next year was the same way. On our third trip in 12 we went on the outside of the Island both directions and again we hit Juneau on the afternoon of day two.

The ships that leave from Vancouver can make the narrows and Johnstone Strait a few hours earlier than sailing out of Seattle and stand a better chance of going through this area while there is still some light.

You can Google both Seymour Narrows and Johnstone Strait to see what you might be seeing or not.

Ships out of Seattle get to transit the Strait of Juan De Fuca and see the Olympic Mountains, some Orcas and more. Sun night in 12 the water was like glass and we had a great time on our balcony.

As for drinks - we had mostly hot toddies or coffee/cocoa based drinks - Peppermint Patties and the like. If you are going to Glacier Bay there is usually some sort of special hot drink of the day.

While we may not always use the balcony in AK it is nice to have floor to ceiling windows.

I hope that you enjoy your cruise - no matter which port you sail from.

I am being very sincere as it does sometimes seem to border on Seattle bashing yet I seldom have read reviews where a trip to Alaska is disliked (whether one way or RT from Seattle or Vancouver...the complaints seem to be more about the shape of a ship, ship staff, entertainment, etc.). Yet on these forums, which route you take seems to have harsh criticism.....I am just baffled by it (and land and ship versus RT seems to take some hits too).
It is not Seattle bashing at all.

It is route preference.

When I choose a seven day Alaska cruise, I can pick a cruise that spends two days out of the seven cruising out in the open ocean away from the shoreline,

or

I can pick a cruise that spend those two days cruising through the calm, protected inside passage, surrounded by scenic little islands and villages and lighthouses and mountains and wildlife.

Of course there are also a number of other factors to consider before deciding, as there are always tradeoffs.

So I would not make the decision based on itinerary alone, but that is an important consideration to me.

There need to be some very strong compensating features to influence me to pick an Alaska cruise that spends those two days out in open ocean instead of taking the scenic lower inside passage.

I agree with varoo. I'm a Seattle gal (black sheep of my family because I moved away from there :o ) and a vocal supporter of itineraries from Vancouver. I love Seattle and visit there often, but we do Alaskan cruises for the scenery and those two days at sea aren't cutting it for us. There are a number of good reasons to take a cruise from Seattle, but better scenery isn't one of them. Even my family that still lives in the Seattle area goes to Vancouver for Alaska cruises.