.......idle jottings

ho-hum

I must lead a sheltered life! Have never seen fisticuffs on SD -- some bad behavior but not to that extent -- or perhaps I'm just oblivious :) And, yes, Jim, you would have been history!

Vandrefalk

Hi Lady V. Right you are about DW. One of the reasons I enjoyed hanging out with your Clint so much was that we decided we both had pretty much the same "House Rules". We can be a bit rowdy at times but we are basically Good Boys.:D You know Frequent Traveler, right? She and Philip were on board for the "drink in the face" incident. Probably some other goodies as well.:eek: I do have to say you are probably the first I have ever heard tie Army Wife and sheltered life together. Shows just how tough you are.:D

Thanks for backing me up, Jimmy. And how about ladders, lines and heads?

Watch out or I will start rambling about companionways, limber holes, and yes, there are ceilings on ships but they are not where you would think.:eek:

Errr......capiche-ish ?

Is Hum wrong to call the entry steps when you board the ship a "gang plank" ?

If so, what is the correct expression ?

And what is a "gang plank" ?

In the modern high tech world, plank is not cool. Gangway?

What is the "brig" Jim ?

Hum guesses it is a lock up of some kind but is it specially designed.

Where does the word come from ?

Jim's Cabin???? Ok, Brig is a U.S. Navy creation, so it says, using Brig as a Naval Jail because, in the Olden Days, Navy prisoners were normally confined on two masted ships called Brigs. When ships began to have more space, dedicated cells were added and just called Brigs or The Brig. Passenger ships absolutely have confinement cells on board. I have been in them on QE2...........As a VISITOR Hum, a visitor. Had a chum on the crew that took me to the Pig & Whistle with a side trip to inspect the Brig. Veeerrrrryyyy Interesting. :eek:

You are right, my dear friend from across the sea

Someone else it just had to be.

No way it could have been you

A timid soul who stands only five foot two.

Trapper has been in the weed locker again. Poetry attempts. Always the tip off.😎🌈🍟

Trapper has been in the weed locker again. Poetry attempts. Always the tip off.

Hum begs to differ but you're on the right track.

What would explain the wild hallucinations (slammng into bulkeads by a dwarf) ?

Did he ever spend time with Timothy Leary in his early university days ?

Hum has his suspicions.

Perhaps we should rename him "TripperZ".

Edited by ho-hum

Hum begs to differ but you're on the right track.

What would explain the wild hallucinations (slammng into bulkeads by a dwarf) ?

Did he ever spend time with Timothy Leary in his early university days ?

Hum has his suspicions.

Perhaps we should rename him "TripperZ".

I do believe you are on to something Ho. Tripper Trapper????:eek::D Where is Zimmy???

Shhh. Don't drag Zimmy into this. She thinks I'm busy working.

Actually, I haven't been on cruise critic for days, but just now I decided to take a break from tax returns. And I was just about to call you to suggest you go back to work. Poetry!

In the modern high tech world, plank is not cool. Gangway?

And just to be perfectly clear :eek: when the gangway (plank) sticks off the back (stern) of a big yacht (I know you have seen them when the yachts are docked stern in) they are called a Passarelle. Go figure. Most of them also have signs warning that I do not live there....Go Away!! Or some such.

Actually, I haven't been on cruise critic for days, but just now I decided to take a break from tax returns. And I was just about to call you to suggest you go back to work. Poetry!

Ooops !

Busted Tripper !

Haha

Jim's Cabin???? Ok, Brig is a U.S. Navy creation, so it says, using Brig as a Naval Jail because, in the Olden Days, Navy prisoners were normally confined on two masted ships called Brigs. When ships began to have more space, dedicated cells were added and just called Brigs or The Brig. Passenger ships absolutely have confinement cells on board. I have been in them on QE2...........As a VISITOR Hum, a visitor. Had a chum on the crew that took me to the Pig & Whistle with a side trip to inspect the Brig. Veeerrrrryyyy Interesting. :eek:

Jim,

Believe my Dad found himself in the "Brig"...once or twice during service in the merchant navy! Going AWALL! Oh the stories he would tell! LOL;)

Jim,

Believe my Dad found himself in the "Brig"...once or twice during service in the merchant navy! Going AWALL! Oh the stories he would tell! LOL;)

Hi K & G. It could be entirely possible the two of us might have occupied the same place at the same time somewhere along the line.:D

Hum often wonders what new people interested in sailing on SD must think when they visit this forum for information on sailing on SD and to find out the type of characters that sail on it !

For just ponder on our recent most points of consideration:

- altercations onboard (though admittedly we were infected by a Crystal poster yet it's funny he thought we could contribute !)

- offences that have lead to people going to the "brig" and various visits to said "brig"

- possible, low level, recreational drug use

They may think they have wandered into a discussion by members of a "Young Offenders Unit"!

Which would be quite flattering in a way (the "young" part at least).

But they must be thinking "What kind of ship is this"?

and

"What kind of weirdos and miscreants sail it"!

"No, Maud, we'll try "So-boring" (Seabourn) instead"!

And to all those reading this drivel with similar weird or miscreant tendencies, feel free to join us.

Some SD cruising experience or future or considering SD sailing, preferable but not essential.

All new posters most welcome.

As you can see we are a friendly bunch.

But Hum fears that without "fresh" contributions, this forum could descend into the equivalent of a "Hells Angels" sailing club!

Regular posters will go round onboard with tats, chains and leather jackets (does that constitute "smart casual"? Would anybody enforce it anyway?).

For behind this nonsense, there is a wealth of sailing experience which the folks that post here are happy to share.

It might also help us to get back on, somewhat, something related to cruising, if that is even relevant now.

You just wonder whatever avenue will be explored next.

So long as we avoid Raggy's penchant for tanks and French roundabouts, Hum will go with the flow.

Hum often wonders what new people interested in sailing on SD must think when they visit this forum for information on sailing on SD and to find out the type of characters that sail on it !

But they must be thinking "What kind of ship is this"?

Gcmv can only speak for himself: He wanted to get on this yacht as soon as possible meeting all these lovely, charming, striking, open-minded, adorable (and champagne dependent people) ... :D

Meeting ho-hum and blondie was a "hole-in-one" and exceeded all expectations! ;)

Edited by gcmv

Gcmv can only speak for himself: He wanted to get on this yacht as soon as possible meeting all these lovely, charming, striking, open-minded, adorable (and champagne dependent people) ... :D

Meeting ho-hum and blondie was a "hole-in-one" and exceeded all expectations! ;)

Sie sind so freundlich GCMV .

Hum und Blondie lieben das deutsche Volk aber unser Herz in Heidelberg .

You are so kind GCMV.

Hum and Blondie love the German people but our heart is somewhere in Heidelberg.

Our thoughts and prayers are for our Belgian chums and all those caught up in this ghastly situation.

Amen. I also wish for the best for all my family and friends in the UK. May Day is the usual "coming out day" for the crazies and that is still a month away. I fear it will be a tense summer in Europe and the UK. Travel safely my friends.

Just got off Hebridean Princess to the tragic news about Brussels, coupled with what I think may be a bout with Norovirus.

We had a mostly fantastic cruise, though, and when we get back to Germany on Sunday, I will blog about the trip. Now I might be ready for my next SD cruise!