.......idle jottings

ho-hum

So, something along the lines of Hooters?

How would either of us know about "Hooters" ? Unless........

By the way old chum, Blondie had a brilliant idea.

Next time you see "The Boss" (somewhere near us or your good self) let us know.....we would love to come along with you (seriously).

Hum would take you to "Hooters", especially if you have never been before. They are great, the burgers are brilliant. Great beer too. Sooooo COLD.

Edited by ho-hum

Baron von Heidelberg - best honorific gcmv ever heard! ;)

How long will you stay on SD II in September? One, two, three or four successive cruises? :rolleyes:

We will depart from Civitavecchia on 12th of September and will be back there at 22th. Is there a chance to beckon hum and blondie from ship to ship?

Tonight it's semifinal against France - three of our best players will be missing and "Schweini" is struck - beside the worldbest goalkeeper, we will need lots of luck to go to the Final. Is ho-hum going to watch the match on TV?

So sorry Baron. Unlucky with so many injuries.

Griezzman ? Alsatian name. Some German stock there.

"Cussed old bugger" eh?

My good lady would no doubt whole heartedly agree as I appear to have gone into overdrive these past few weeks...talking up the cause of we, well me, the little people, the common man, against the untouchable, unaccountable metropolitan liberal elite.

And don't get me started on the FBI findings about a certain person's emails.

All these weights of the world on my young shoulders, 25 years young and not a day more, carrying the burden of the silenced, the oppressed, the disenfranchised and exposing the sheer nonsense spouted by so many so often (excluding the good company on this forum...wait a minute, this is exactly what "idle jottings" is all about, to idly spout sheer and utter unadulterated nonsense dressed up as intelligent, thought provoking discussion).

How about "TOYOBs" as in "Top of the Yacht Old Buggers"? First session at 11.00am known as "clean the pipes and kick start the liver" before the serious libation session commences before lunch.

By George you've got it !

"to idly spout sheer and utter unadulterated nonsense dressed up as intelligent, thought provoking discussion"

Well almost............ "discussion" may or may not ensue.

Nay the "raison d'etre" (if there is one) is simply to "vent the spleen" or even better, to "be caught on the winds of flights of fancy" with joy and merriment and share it with chums.

No sense, corroborated facts, let alone reason is required.

Some penchant for humour is always welcome though.

Most of us here, have reached a certain age where we give ourselves permission to behave appallingly (but with consideration to chums and as Hum previously advised, with humour).

Are you seriously just 25 years on this planet ?

Well Hum was born an "old fart" and slowly but surely, benefitting from the effects of good wine, Hum has seen off most of his brain cells to be able to have a modicum of comfort in life (dont speak too soon though).

Of course, he is not referring to the ladies (as having reached a certain age). Nay that would be un-gallant. Besides they all have some "hotspur" about them.

Well age, sex, political and religious affiliation are inconsequential here.

It is the "cut of your jib" that counts and consideration to others (yes, it doesn't look like it at times but most of Hum's "barbs" are "tongue in cheek").

Oh yes "email lady" has some very powerful friends at the highest of levels to "walk away" from the FBI with just a "go carefully next time ma'am".

Hum is astounded by her, frankly, by her complete stupidity.

Emails on a public server !

That any 13 year old could hack !

An apology should at least be forthcoming, along the lines of "how dumb was I ?"

Then all would be forgiven.

Please forgive the "cussed old bigger" remark dear MACT.

Appalling thing to say.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Oh and looks as if the email scandal hasn't been kicked out after all.

Edited by ho-hum

Dearest Baron,

We will be sailing from Athens on the 16 September and arriving into Rome on 30 September.

So again we miss one another.........aaaaaahhhhh.

Of course Hum will be watching the match.

Who wins tonight wins the World Cup.

It is going to be an interesting match.

Hum has French chums and one very important German chum !

You!

So Hum's position is: let the best team win.

Is this a special SD-Hum-cruise??? :confused:

Looking on the SD-website, the cruise (for ordinary guests) from Athens departs on 17th of September and ends on 1st of October at Rome.

Aaaah - hum did the charter he promised a long time ago here on this thread and SD backoffice failed again in updating their "voyages"-website! ;)

But dearest hum - you forgot to invite your important German chum and his Frau joining the charter-party!!! :eek:

Ok - now it's too late - our Windstar cruise is booked!

But to be honest, gcmv thinks, hum mixed up the dates or perhaps he thought being early one day is better than being 20 minutes late at Athens harbour?!

We lost the game (trying again to play handball in the penalty box) - but in my opinion we were the better team - that's sport! Griezmann is a great player and he knows where the goal is placed on the field - our strikers are still searching for it ...

But, don't underestimate Portugal with "no-going" CR7, gcmv is not sure, if France will win this title on Sunday!

Btw. there is an awesome "blondie" in the women's final at Wimbledon - Angelique K. - no, she's not French - she's from Germany and her idol is Steffi Graf (from Heidelberg) ...

Please forgive the "cussed old bugger" remark dear MACT.

Appalling thing to say.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Oh please, please no need fine Sir. I take it as a badge of honour in this ever increasingly thought and speech controlled world. Lose the right to express one's thoughts and we shall soon all be living in a collective gulag undergoing re-education programmes.

How many years on this planet? Well take that number and multiply by two (you are allowed to sit down and start using the fingers for assistance if required) and you are pretty much there.

So much there in fact that Maw, Paw and the weans are about to scuttle off to the seaside with buckets and spades at the ready to celebrate the impending start of a second half century...and not out!!

Alas not on SeaDream (children involved, even though they would behave impeccably, its just not right on others and fair on them) but on the water none the less.

Make sure the scoundrels keep the Great in Britain whilst I'm away.

Tattie bye tattie heids until the end of the month.

P.S I ventured into Hooters in Coconut Grove, Miami a few years back purely for research purposes you understand...and found that one just doesn't get that kind of... smile from a waitress in the UK.

[/font]

We can hope so. There really is no punishment any more for any wrongdoing if you are connected enough. You and I, Hum would already be wearing the striped suits. Poor Martha Stewart lied ONE time to ONE FBI agent about ONE stock transaction and went to prison for a year. I just don't get it the time after time "getting away with it".

We can hope so. There really is no punishment any more for any wrongdoing if you are connected enough. You and I, Hum would already be wearing the striped suits. Poor Martha Stewart lied ONE time to ONE FBI agent about ONE stock transaction and went to prison for a year. I just don't get it the time after time "getting away with it".

Firstly Hum must say, it ain't no business of a "tea swigging limey".

So take whatever drivel Hum has to say as "fiddle sticks" !

Alright ?

No, see here Jim, this is how simple Hum sees it.

If she was that stupid to have her own server then she is unfit for governing your country. It is a wholly un-acceptable breach of your country's security.

If she knew, then she is smart but pretending she did'nt know it was wrong, well......that was gutless: sorry Americarnadians.

And what's all this about Benghazi ?

Just what was her involvement or lack of it ?

Really, should she have known that the extremists would be so destructive, bearing in mind that she had to review all American outposts around the world and surely she was advised.

On face value, it seems she took a reasonable position but as Hum said before, Hum's simple and certainly does not wish to offend your wonderful citizens

How would either of us know about "Hooters" ? Unless........

By the way old chum, Blondie had a brilliant idea.

Next time you see "The Boss" (somewhere near us or your good self) let us know.....we would love to come along with you (seriously).

Hum would take you to "Hooters", especially if you have never been before. They are great, the burgers are brilliant. Great beer too. Sooooo COLD.

Now, this is an offer simply too good to refuse. You're (both) on!

Is this a special SD-Hum-cruise??? :confused:

Looking on the SD-website, the cruise (for ordinary guests) from Athens departs on 17th of September and ends on 1st of October at Rome.

Aaaah - hum did the charter he promised a long time ago here on this thread and SD backoffice failed again in updating their "voyages"-website! ;)

But dearest hum - you forgot to invite your important German chum and his Frau joining the charter-party!!! :eek:

Ok - now it's too late - our Windstar cruise is booked!

But to be honest, gcmv thinks, hum mixed up the dates or perhaps he thought being early one day is better than being 20 minutes late at Athens harbour?!

We lost the game (trying again to play handball in the penalty box) - but in my opinion we were the better team - that's sport! Griezmann is a great player and he knows where the goal is placed on the field - our strikers are still searching for it ...

But, don't underestimate Portugal with "no-going" CR7, gcmv is not sure, if France will win this title on Sunday!

Btw. there is an awesome "blondie" in the women's final at Wimbledon - Angelique K. - no, she's not French - she's from Germany and her idol is Steffi Graf (from Heidelberg) ...

You ruddy checked up on Hum !!

Mein Gott Baron !

Assuming Hum was wrong !

Hahaha

OK so we are heading to Piraeus a day earlier.

Here are the "back to back" voyages we are booked on:

http://www.seadream.com/voyages/21638

http://www.seadream.com/voyages/21638

If Hum did a charter then you would be top of the list old chum and the Baroness of course.

Hum agrees Germany is a great team but you had too many injuries and at certain points in the game you thought you were playing rugby !!

OK, Hum will check out the tennis lady. Hope she doesn't "grunt" like "Shampova"!

Now here's a funny thing.

Since posting Hum's dates on SD (Athens-Dubrovnik-Rome), Oslo and Miami have received nigh over 30 cancellations !

Baffling eh ?

One guest gave the reason as they don't want to "bump into old big head" !

Who ever could they mean ?

Oh well, Ho Hum

Have a jolly nice week-end chums wherever you are in the world.

Edited by ho-hum

Now here's a funny thing.

Since posting Hum's dates on SD (Athens-Dubrovnik-Rome), Oslo and Miami have received nigh over 30 cancellations !

Baffling eh ?

One guest gave the reason as they don't want to "bump into old big head" !

Who ever could they mean ?

Oh well, Ho Hum

Have a jolly nice week-end chums wherever you are in the world.

Funny, the same happened in January........And you blamed it on me!

Oh please, please no need fine Sir. I take it as a badge of honour in this ever increasingly thought and speech controlled world. Lose the right to express one's thoughts and we shall soon all be living in a collective gulag undergoing re-education programmes.

How many years on this planet? Well take that number and multiply by two (you are allowed to sit down and start using the fingers for assistance if required) and you are pretty much there.

So much there in fact that Maw, Paw and the weans are about to scuttle off to the seaside with buckets and spades at the ready to celebrate the impending start of a second half century...and not out!!

Alas not on SeaDream (children involved, even though they would behave impeccably, its just not right on others and fair on them) but on the water none the less.

Make sure the scoundrels keep the Great in Britain whilst I'm away.

Tattie bye tattie heids until the end of the month.

P.S I ventured into Hooters in Coconut Grove, Miami a few years back purely for research purposes you understand...and found that one just doesn't get that kind of... smile from a waitress in the UK.

Pangs of conscience dear chum, pangs of conscience !

As the stupefying effects of the old vino dissipated, the shocking recollections of over-familiarity, risqué jokes, "crushing" insults and all other manner of bad behaviour and poor taste came flooding back and so with that ..........

Naturally you are an eminently sensible, man of the world and have taken the "derogatory" term as simply a true revered term of affection and respect in which it was originally delivered.

Bloody difficult to try to explain this kind of thing to the "starched knicker Brigade", "God botherers", the, "as if butter would'nt melt", "holier than thou's" etcc....; you "get Hum's drift".

Almost a year ago (or was it two ?), Hum was in conversation with a real "soak" and they spouted all kinds of derogatory things about SD (also being wholly un-true and distorted) and in reply all Hum posted was an enquiry of the address of the "secure psychiatric facility" they now resided, in case Hum was passing by.

Twas a joke !

Well the "old dowager" was furious and Host Dan issued a life time BAN.

Life time !

A tad extreme.

Does Cruise Critic follow Sharia Law by any chance ?

Hum cannot possibly comment on the experience of customer service in the establishment of which you speak (however he knows a "gentleman" who can: he says he only went once but he seemed awfully familiar with the menu).

Nay, Hum is an admirer of women and is also an admirer of the sum of all the parts but for real customer service by proper ladies, then Hum would direct you to "Dennys".

These ladies are all of the above plus they are charming, sweet and worldly wise yet not cynical. Hum adores them. They should run the UN ! Eminently sensible people.

The nearest equivalent in this great country is in the West Country where Hum must stop for cream teas. Well the buxom, ladies of Cornwall and Devon are cheerful and friendly and greet you saying "How are you, my luvver" ?

Hum loves it !

Can you imagine what some visitors would think ?

Of course the female of the species has such a finer and more acute sense of language, gestures, intentions, impressions and can hold an hour long autopsy on a simple "hello".

We chaps are less encumbered by such finesse.

Our male greetings are brief and often borderline rude.

And you know when you meet a good 'un when they say:

"And what are you having me ol' mucker"

Provided it's not one of these two (sadly pissed on........yes Hum knows ! It's a ruddy play on words ! Two of the finest !).

image_zpshbgkrcui.jpeg

He was just too fast for our young Canadian, whose famous serve did not

live up to its reputation. A good but disappointing match, though Raonic

is certain to be back another year. Also congrats out to Portugal ... whoda

thunk it!

Such sadness south of our border. It is almost unfathomable that such

hate exists. And still the protectors of Second Amendment rights defend

the sale and use of assault weapons opining that people kill, guns don't.

Tell that to the wives, children and family of the slain Dallas officers who

died protecting our way of life.

Obama should make a nationally televised address extolling the citizenry

to write their elected representatives to enact legislation banning such

weapons NOW or face defeat in the fall elections. Maybe then the NRA

won't rule the day as they seem to now.:(

Such sadness south of our border. It is almost unfathomable that such

hate exists. And still the protectors of Second Amendment rights defend

the sale and use of assault weapons opining that people kill, guns don't.

Tell that to the wives, children and family of the slain Dallas officers who

died protecting our way of life.

Obama should make a nationally televised address extolling the citizenry

to write their elected representatives to enact legislation banning such

weapons NOW or face defeat in the fall elections. Maybe then the NRA

won't rule the day as they seem to now.:(

Hi Commander. I almost did not respond as a Cruise board is really not the place for political disagreement but, since this is posted in "Idle Jottings", a repository for thoughts and opinions on a very wide range of topics, I figure to give it a go. As you know I am from a state that has many gun owners, myself included. I have owned guns of various types since I was 8 years old and, so far, I have yet to shoot anyone. My feeling is how is taking my gun going to make me safer?. We live in a violent planet. If you are a fan of history you know that this planet has always been very violent. Self protection is not only necessary but it is shown historically that a lack of the ability for self protection leads to many of the mass atrocities of the past. You know what is said about remembering the past history or be prepared to repeat it. As to your point about "Assault Weapons", to steal a quote from Greg Gutfeld of The Five TV show: :Assault rifles are just rifles in a costume" (and no I do not own an assault rifle-my only long gun is a Model 1894 Winchester.) His point being that in this country it is already illegal to own a fully automatic weapon. The so called Assault rifles are semi automatic rifles just like the more "safe" appearing hunting or target rifles. Any gun shop owner will tell you that something that looks like GI Joe sells better than something that looks like John Wayne carried it. I am from the John Wayne school. Having said that, year in and year out in the US the number one murder weapon is the classical "blunt instrument". Yet there is never a cry to blame a hammer, baseball bat, or brick for the atrocity. It seems in this country there is no accountability and all actions must be some other fault, not mine. Blaming the gun is like blaming the saw for a poor carpenter. I am in no way wanting to minimize the horrible events of the recent past but it is a political smoke screen to talk about "Assault Weapons" or the "Gun Show Loophole". Not once, except for a shotgun and an air rifle, have I been able to buy a gun of any kind at any venue without a background check. And I have had a Conceal Carry Weapons Permit for a long time. I still go through a background check to buy a .22 cal revolver. That is the law. The law also prohibits "regular people" from buying fully automatic or military specification weapons. In my admittedly biased opinion, the real problem is the lack of leadership in this country, the lack of enforcement of the thousands of pages of gun laws already on the books, and the lack of punishment for the criminals. Political correctness has led us to the point where profiling or other means to separate the mentally unfit from their ability to buy weapons has taken a back seat to feel good politics. Yes, I agree those with a history of mental instability should face heavy scrutiny before allowing weapons (not just guns) purchases as should those on the "no fly list". And please, don't encourage Obama to lecture us anymore. I am quite full of his "I know best" in all things after 8 years. So far, referring to the families of the Dallas slain, the family members I have seen speak as well as the injured officers I have seen speak, none have railed on about banning guns. They blame the madness of the shooter, not the tool he chose to use. As usual, the ban the guns crowd entered stage left right on cue. It is truly sickening to see the same politicians milking yet another tragedy for their personal agendas. To repeat myself, we seriously need some leadership in this country. I hope we get it soon. Commander, I have enjoyed your valuable additions to this board and hope to sail with you one day. I am sure we could spend a little time at the TOY Bar and discover we really have a lot in common. I'm buying and I won't be packing.

I am in the same boat with you Jim. With all of this craziness, we are actually going to get a gun for our lake home. Intruder Beware! The only gun I ever shot was Skeet. The Contessa will be armed.

Give Sherrif Joe my regards.

Bless you my dear. Sheriff Joe says he likes your avatar picture. You, me, and Ho-Hum are the only ones who use our real photos. But wait......I forgot Trapper Zimmy the curly haired devil.:D Contessa Annie Oakley!:eek::D

Jim,

You are correct, this board is not the place for political discourse and I apologize for muddying the waters.

While I disagree wirh your opinions, I respect your right to them and we remain

friends and I'll hold you to that drink at the Toy Bar on a furure sailing.

All the very best,

The Comander

Jim,

You are correct, this board is not the place for political discourse and I apologize for muddying the waters.

While I disagree wirh your opinions, I respect your right to them and we remain

friends and I'll hold you to that drink at the Toy Bar on a furure sailing.

All the very best,

The Comander

Well dear chum, the suggestion you offered in your previous post, appears to have arisen as a result of the anguish, frustration and deep empathy you felt for the suffering of your fellow countrymen, a feeling which we can all share with you, including those dear chums with other views, of course.

And you have every right to offer a suggestion, as do fellow respected chums who have the right to offer their "different take on things" which they would also accept is also your right to do so wherever you felt it was appropriate: you are amongst chums who respect you here, so why not here ?

Yet, as is acknowledged, this "place" does have certain limitations, nevertheless it was good to hear both viewpoints in an atmosphere of respect and cordialness to one another: yourself and Jim are to be commended for that.

Hum will return to the more banal subject matter usually found here, of which Hum is a doyen: a view, Hum believes, all differing viewpoints would agree.

So to return to your opening observations of your previous to last post.

Yes, Murray played well and was mostly well disciplined this time, thankfully having also avoided Djokovic and Federer.

Hum was impressed by the great manners of the Canadian player and the sportsmanship of both. Part of the crowd (Scots) booing the PM displayed very poor manners though but after Scottish independence, they will no doubt be banned from entering the rest of Britain on grounds of being un-desirable (Hum hopes MACT is still on his "hols" and misses seeing this and of course Hum would lobby for a few exclusions from the banning orders).

Hum would like the vehemently nationalistic Scots more if only they were polite and friendly and exhibited some of your own and Jim's fine manners and friendliness.

One point of interest for you Commander and other dear chums of course, Mr.Murray's home in Scotland is a place called Dunblane. It is notorious in British culture for a mass killing using firearms where numerous children were murdered. It affected the whole country at the time (and still does to a degree) and resulted in modifications to firearm ownership. Mr.Murray and his family were growing up there at the time (he was actually walking to where the incident occurred) and he frankly talks of the detrimental affect it had on him, his family and the close community. Maybe this partly explains his perceived awkward personality on occasions but he works for many charities and continues to have his home at Dunblane and supports the locality and it's people.

He is a good 'un and fully deserves his reward for diligence and single mindedness.

Great play by Portugal in the European soccer competition: a gutsy performance by the whole team. Never seen Ronaldo play with so much passion for the team. Hum was very impressed by him.

The French typically reverted to playing as aloof individuals with no character or "esprit de corps" (quite ironic isn't it ? French phrase) though Hum would omit Evra from this general castigation, oh and the very young players.

It was great to see heroic teams from countries like Wales and Iceland do so well and show what a true team spirit can achieve. The supporters from these countries were wonderful and shamed elements of the English and Russian trouble makers.

Oh it's ruddy marvellous to see this forum have so many new posts !

Hum can now retire (for a while ! But you know Hum, he loves you all, he loves the crew and he will "chew out" SD shoreside management especially when he has a "bad day" which usually occurs when he is disappointed by a wine !).

Over to you, it's been a "hoot" !

Sorry Ho Hum, that's me told off too I guess, however Poppy has been busy WORKING:eek::eek: so apologies again.

Out of the blue got a call from an ex client asking if I would evaluate all their marketing activity for the past 24 months, basically checking if their advertising/PR agency had delivered VFM. Stupidly Poppy agreed to do them a favour. FREE. Not a problem as they were a great client when I worked on their business for 20+ years.

So weeks later, 60 odd page analysis review doc ( did I mention FREE)? Oh! and the recommendations/proposals for 2017/18 marketing activity (FOC too).

All done and dusted, forwarded on and what did Poppy get as a thank you? NOTHING,ZILCH.

Not so much as a thank you email (well I did, just said this is exactly the info they wanted, no thank you), no bottle of bubbly, bunch of flowers etc etc.

Glad I'm out of that fickle industry! Think I just heard a cork wanting to jump/pop out of the bottle anytime soon!

RANT over but promise to be more attentive and will post more often:)

I need a holiday!!

Hope you're both keeping well as always.

Pxxxx