NCL Dawn vs. Royal Princess - Is Quebec City worth it?

Tapi

Hi:

We're looking at a Canada/New England cruise for October 2014. We're currently booked on the Royal Princess sailing roundtrip from NYC, mainly lured by the fact that it's a brand new, beautiful ship. However, we're now second guessing the decision and wondering if we should take the Norwegian Dawn sailing from Quebec City to Boston, mainly lured by the fact that the itinerary begins with an overnight in Quebec City.

So, New ship on Princess but no Quebec City, or older NCL ship with an overnight in Quebec City? Is this port of call worth it?

We only have 7 vacation days to play with, so unfortunately we can't do anything longer than that :(

The Dawn is a beautiful ship - I would sail on her again in a heartbeat. She still has the classic ship feel to her.

I guess you have to decide if you want mid-size classic feel to the ship or modern and new.

Quebec City - outstanding, rich in history, beautiful architecture, french culture and great cuisine. It's been declared a UNESCO World Heritage treasure, and is one of the oldest European settlements in North America.

Whatever you choose - enjoy!

New, .... always. :D IMO.

Having said that, is the NCL the same dates? If not, hmm ....

What are the specific sail dates in Oct ?

It's late hurricane season, which lately has been fierce.

Often I trust my instincts.

If different dates, choose one when the hurricane will not affect your sailing. lol.

Of course don't listen to me, as a Sandy cruise ship survivor. :D

:p

JMT

ETA; Of course we sail for the vessel, not the ports generally, so don't listen to me. lol.

Edited by bear3412

What are the specific sail dates in Oct ?

It's late hurricane season, which lately has been fierce.

lol.

The sailings are within one week of each other (1st and 2nd week in October).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have sailed the Dawn three times, so you can see that I like her very much....and I have been doing a New England/Canada cruise annually since 2002. And in full disclosure, I am booked for the first time on the Royal Princess on 18 Octobler, mainly to experience the new ship.

With that said, here's my two cents....

If you will only be doing one New England/Canada cruise, and not likely to do another, I would definitely do one that sails to or from Quebec City...the St. Lawrence is great.

If however, if you think you will be back again sometime, then I might go for the new ship experience, which doesn't happen very often on that route. Then I would save the Quebec City cruise for another time.

One other reason I am switching from NCL to Princess this year, even though I get Platinum perks on NCL, and only 'Gold' on Princess, is that I am waiting for NCL to bring back the wonderful ten day roundtrip from my home port of New York to Quebec City, that they used to have....:)

Can't compare the ships, either, but I can tell you that Quebec City is the only place we've ever seen snow on the deck of a cruise ship.

You obviously haven't been to New York this winter.....lots of photo's of the Breakaway and the Gem on this board to show what I'm talkin' 'bout...:D

We did a 12 day cruise leaving out of Quebec city 2 years ago and loved Quebec City. I am so glad we did it that way. We were on Princess, I can't even remember the name of the ship but it was a mega ship and pretty. The problem, we didn't care for the formality on Princess, no matter how much they claim it has relaxed and we like the passengers, overall on NCL much better. I will add, we have sailed Princess 3 times and have always felt the same. If the price is similar do NCL.

I've sailed from Quebec City on the Dawn and it was magical. As others have said, it's the closest you can get to being in Europe while still being in North America. If you're looking for that old-world charm, I would go with the Dawn.

I haven't sailed on Princess, but if the ship and the line are your priority, then you should choose accordingly.

Another vote for Quebec City. It is wonderful! The Dawn is a great ship and is well maintained. Friends came off the Royal this past Sunday and had a great time but it was much larger but the crowds were easily managed.

You obviously haven't been to New York this winter.....lots of photo's of the Breakaway and the Gem on this board to show what I'm talkin' 'bout...:D

Obviously since I haven't been there, Québec City is STILL the only place I've seen snow on a cruise ship. Wouldn't sail out of NYC in the dead of winter for any reason. LOL

I agree with the person who said that if this is your one chance to visit Quebec City then go for it.

I live in Ontario, right next door to Quebec, so I'd like to add a couple of comments.

1. The first few weeks of October have to be one of the most beautiful times to see Quebec City and sail along the St. Lawrence River. The leaves, especially on the maple trees, will show you all their brilliant fall colours. Absolutely gorgeous!

2. Canadian Thanksgiving this year is Monday, Oct. 13th. If you will be in a Canadian port on that date it is possible that some things will be closed.

3. Whoever mentioned hurricanes....we sometimes get the backlash from a hurricane (rainy, windy weather) but only once in my life, and I'm 72, has a hurricane actually come this far north, so do not even think about that possibility. October weather can be lovely but do bring a sweater or light jacket with you as it will cool off in the evening.

I vote fot Quebec, if it matters. I actually liked Quebec better than Paris, that is if you take away all of the art. Never been on the Dawn, but I have been on her sister the Star and enjoyed it. I am sure you will have a great time with either choice.