Pompeii Private tour with guide?

thepoint

Is it possible to get a private tour that includes a guide to Pompeii. Or, is the rule that guides must be hired at the sight? I don't seem to find any private tours (Rome in Limo, Joe Bananas) where you actually have a guide present when you are picked up. They all seem to be a driver and you hire a guide at the site? Is this the only way to have a driver/guided tour of Naples and Pompeii? Any recommendations of private tours for this area? Seems to me you are just paying for the ride - if we took a cab to Pompeii would we be able to get a cab back to the port easily? Does anyone have experience in getting to Pompeii on their own? Thank you for your help.

Is it possible to get a private tour that includes a guide to Pompeii. Or, is the rule that guides must be hired at the sight? I don't seem to find any private tours (Rome in Limo, Joe Bananas) where you actually have a guide present when you are picked up. They all seem to be a driver and you hire a guide at the site? Is this the only way to have a driver/guided tour of Naples and Pompeii? Any recommendations of private tours for this area? Seems to me you are just paying for the ride - if we took a cab to Pompeii would we be able to get a cab back to the port easily? Does anyone have experience in getting to Pompeii on their own? Thank you for your help.

Do a search on this board now that it is working as there is a lot of info here re your questions.When you use a private tour they generally do not come with a guide as that is a lot more money and not all of them offer this service.That goes for almost any private tour in any port.You can take the train and the info is here on this board. You can hire a guide at Pompeii,and ask how much for just you and your party,but it will cost more than going with a group.Just as a ball park a "guide" for the day can be about 500 or more Euro.

If you do a little reading on this board, you'll find answers to most of your questions. Many of us have done Pompeii on our own. The transportation angle is quite easy -- you can go either by bus (which leaves from very close to the port and takes you direct to Pompeii) or by train, which is only marginally more difficult. If you want more info on either one, just post your questions and we will answer them.

As to guides, most of the services frequently used on these boards are driver services. I haven't used any of them, but it has been posted many times that they will take care of hiring a private guide (just for Pompeii) for you for about an additional 100 euro (per group) for an approximately 2 hour tour. I have no idea whether the guides are arranged in advance or just hired at the gate, but I suspect the former rather than the latter.

(Personally, I think it's very difficult to see much of Pompeii in 2 hours, but that's what folks do who also try to fit in the Amalfi Coast or other destinations in the same day....)

Edited by cruisemom42

We used Joe Banana last April. We had a driver and a 'group leader' (his name was Sacha). He talked throughout the day as we traveled to Sorrento,Positano and on to Pompeii. As a group we had decided beforehand that those that wanted guides in Pompeii would hire a guide when we got there. It turned out that our group leader gave us a wonderful guided tour through Pompeii!! He loved his job and had true passion about showing through this site. We were so surprised and pleased that he was doing this. It was one of the best side trips that we have ever done off a cruise ship!

We used Joe Banana last April. We had a driver and a 'group leader' (his name was Sacha). He talked throughout the day as we traveled to Sorrento,Positano and on to Pompeii. As a group we had decided beforehand that those that wanted guides in Pompeii would hire a guide when we got there. It turned out that our group leader gave us a wonderful guided tour through Pompeii!! He loved his job and had true passion about showing through this site. We were so surprised and pleased that he was doing this. It was one of the best side trips that we have ever done off a cruise ship!

Great, thank you for your help. I will email Joe Banana. We actually used him 2 years ago once to go to Pisa and Florence and one to do the Amafi coast. But, we just had a driver - no guide. I will ask specifically for Sacha. Thank you.

We have a Rome in Limo tour in Naples, Sorrento and Positano booked in a few weeks. They are pre-arranging a guide for 100 euro to be split among our group of 8.

Great, thank you for your help. I will email Joe Banana. We actually used him 2 years ago once to go to Pisa and Florence and one to do the Amafi coast. But, we just had a driver - no guide. I will ask specifically for Sacha. Thank you.

Glad to help! It really was a fantastic day. Sacha's (or Sasha) father was a tour guide and he said he grew up following his father around Pompeii while he worked. He knew very interesting and indicate details that amazed our whole group. I know Joe Banana has a good reputation so I imagine all his guides will be great. I'm interested to hear if you use his company and have Sacha as your guide!

• 3 weeks later...
We used Lucia several years ago - she arranged a mini bus for 8 of us, met us at the site and spent 3 hours showing us around. She made the day so pleasurable for all of us and kept our 4 teenagers amused with different stories - a marvellous guide!

nfo@luciapompeiiguide.com

http://www.luciapompeiiguide.com

I am using Lucia for a tour Monday. I will try to remember to come back and post a review.

I am using Lucia for a tour Monday. I will try to remember to come back and post a review.

Could you please remember the Walkers and the Robertson families to her - she was such a lovely lady. xx:)

If you do a little reading on this board, you'll find answers to most of your questions. Many of us have done Pompeii on our own. The transportation angle is quite easy -- you can go either by bus (which leaves from very close to the port and takes you direct to Pompeii) or by train, which is only marginally more difficult. If you want more info on either one, just post your questions and we will answer them.

Hello - we are doing Pompeii on our own and planned on using the train. Can you please share the bus info? Wondering if that would be the better option.

Thanks!