Dining Room Attire

I have always cruised Carnival without kids and we are taking our first Royal Carribean w our 8yo son and 11 yo daughter. Can my son wear dress shorts and polos to dinner and khakis w sport coat for formal night? Also is two piece suit required for formal night for my husband or can he wear sport coat w nice slacks? Seems like a suit will take up too much space in our luggage.

I have always cruised Carnival without kids and we are taking our first Royal Carribean w our 8yo son and 11 yo daughter. Can my son wear dress shorts and polos to dinner and khakis w sport coat for formal night? Also is two piece suit required for formal night for my husband or can he wear sport coat w nice slacks? Seems like a suit will take up too much space in our luggage.

Officially they say no shorts in the MDR but I have never seen a young child turned away for wearing shorts. When my son was that age he wore shorts and we never had a problem.

Your son's formal night attire would be fine. When our son was that age he never wore a jacket.

As for your husband he will not be turned away wearing a sport coat and slacks. On formal night the majority of men will be wearing suits, a few will wear tuxes and some will wear sport coats and slacks. A small minority will be dressed very casually.

Edited by Finbar127

We were on the Freedom last week and I found the dining room attire very similar to Carnival. On our two formal nights our boys (4,8 and 9yrs) wore dress pants, shirt and tie. On the other nights they wore khaki pants and a golf shirt but I wouldn't have had a problem with them wearing dress shorts. Our 3 year old daughter wore a sun dress every night. I wore capris or summer pants on regular nights and a dress on formal night. Hubby wore khakis and a golf shirt on regular nights and dress pants, shirt and tie without a jacket on formal night. I looked around specifically counting men with or without jackets and noticed it to be about 1/2 and 1/2. Some people on here will tell you that he must have a jacket some will say not. Honestly, nobody will give him the stare down in either, nor will they give your kids the hairy eye ball if they're in dress shorts. Enjoy and pack light.

Your son and daughter can wear pretty much anything that YOU feel is appropriate. The big deal with Royal is shoes -- I have staff tell parents they had to take children back to their cabins to change for not wearing them. I'm sure your son will look adorable in a sport coat for formal night and many families do this to have photos taken. If this doesn't matter to you, save the space and skip the jacket. Your husband also can wear anything that he feels comfortable in for formal night. If a suit takes up too much space, just pack a shirt and tie. Or skip the tie and wear a nice pair of dress pants and a dress shirt.

Enjoy your cruise!

We usually bring 2 pairs of nice pants, one khaki and one dark, then pair with polos on regular nights and shirt, tie and sometimes jacket on formal nights. No need to pack nice shorts. For the time they are in the pants they can last multiple nights. Once dinner is done, back into basketball shorts for the rest of the night. At least for the kids and teens.

Edited by akcruz

Dress the same as you have on Carnival and you'll be fine! :)

LuLu

~~~