Can a person with walker use the buffet?

jocelysue

My DH uses a rollator to get around which means he has to keep both hands on the handles. Does that mean he cannot eat at the buffet because he cannot carry his platter? Or is it a tray? Or is it like on HAL when he walked through the line pointing out waht he wanted and a waiter carried it to his table?

Must we eat all meals in thr MDR? I would be pleased to carry DH''splatter but have trouble carrying things myself (polio as a child which weakened my arms)

We hope to be able to enjoy all venues on the ship but if that is not a possibility we prefer being forewarned to avoid diappointment. Thanks for your answers.

I was on the Eclipse last year and I walk with crutches. Although I can manage albeit slowly I found on many occasions that the staff in the buffet would ask to help me. This included carrying a tray or helping me, bringing me a drink of tea. I found their kindnesses to be genuinely offered with no expectation of reward. (They were in fact more considerate than some of my fellow passengers who would drag sunbeds onto the pathway along the deck, barge into me etc - one can hardly miss me as I lumber along on the crutches!)

I know some other posters have put that there isn't the staff to help one in the buffet but that was not the case for me.

Full marks to Eclipse staff.

My DH uses a rollator to get around which means he has to keep both hands on the handles. Does that mean he cannot eat at the buffet because he cannot carry his platter? Or is it a tray? Or is it like on HAL when he walked through the line pointing out waht he wanted and a waiter carried it to his table?

Must we eat all meals in thr MDR? I would be pleased to carry DH''splatter but have trouble carrying things myself (polio as a child which weakened my arms)

We hope to be able to enjoy all venues on the ship but if that is not a possibility we prefer being forewarned to avoid diappointment. Thanks for your answers.

Just off the Eclipse and I saw staff helping folks with walkers every day. Also saw folks who had walkers with platforms on them that they would pick out their own food, place it on their walker, and move on to the next spot. But the staff will certainly help. Have fun!

I think the comments about staff being too busy to carry plates at the buffet was intended for able bodied cruisers who like to feel pampered, or were used to this service from previous cruises and have just come to expect it. I have seen waiters offering help freely to those who need it, so I wouldn't worry about missing out of the buffet.

There are fewer staff in the buffet than there were many years ago so they might not be right there and offer to assist you right away. So you might need to look for a waiter, or one of the managers, in the area and ask for some assistance. But you should have no problems getting it if you ask.

Thanks for all your positive answers. As you guessed, previous posts on CC worried me & made me leary about the buffet I so want DH to have a great time as he is fulfilling a lifelong dream.

Now we'll board with a very positive attitude. Merci.

As Billie5 points out if there are no staff around other passengers would swiftly come to your aid. None of my family would fail to leapt up and assist anyone needing help. Whilst there are certainly fewer staff I have never seen anyone struggling. I don't think you need worry at all. The majority of cruisers are in ' holiday ' mode and therefore happy and smiling and helping others comes naturally to happy people. You will also have the added advantage of having a conversational opening. My young adult son can disappear for ages and comes back saying he has meet the most interesting people. Why, because he would always offer to help as he has two sets of grandparents.