packing - roll method

Hi

I roll all the time. I fold my husband's shirts as I would to put them in a drawer, and then sort of fold them again till just the collar is showing. No, I don't have wrinkles. The only things I don't roll are the obvious--dresses, jackets, skirts, etc. And rolling makes more room in the suitcase for other things. I do find, tho, that I have to put shoes on each east/west/north end of the suitcase so clothing doesn't move so much. We always have a duffle bag in the trunk when we're driving to cooler climates and we roll our jackets, jeans, etc. and keep them in the trunk till needed.

Hope this helps.

Esther

I roll when I used a "duffle" type back...usually when I go on a short trip. It works very well. I usually lay everything out flat, one on top of another, then put something in the middle--maybe a pair of shoes in a protective bag, then roll everything around them. I've had good luck this way.

For a regular suitcase I'm not sure what it's called, but I lay my clothes in the bottom of the suitcase flat (as opposed to folded)...for instance with a pair of pants, I'd lay the pants in flat with the legs hanging out of the suitcase. I'd put in my next pair the same way, except the legs would hang out the other side. I do that with everything, untill all items of clothing are in. I then put in my underwear, pajamas, etc, then fold in all the parts of the clothes that are hanging out...alternating sides.

I'm a huge fan of rolling my clothes when I pack. I then put them in packing cubes organized by type of clothing. I start by folding the clothes as if I were going to put them in a drawer but instead of "folding" I roll them up. Longer things like dresses and longer skirts I leave on the hanger and fold over once or twice, with tissue paper between the folds, and then put them in a larger packing cube. You can buy packing "folders" but they are expensive. My folding/tissue/cube method works great. And it keeps your suitcase so organized. I travel with a rolling drop-bottom duffel now and it's very easy to pack and the packing cubes keep it organized and the TSA can rummage through my suitcase as much as they want without messing things up.

I tried rolling last year and had good results. I rolled t-shirts, pants, and shorts and had no wrinkles. I've got a couple of Citiknits outfits that I roll, too.

Pants I fold in half long way and just roll, same with shorts. For t-shirts, I folded them like I was going to put them away and rolled them.

I love the rolling method. It doesn't work as well to roll jeans or things that are really thick like sweatshirts. Those take up less space just folded like normal. But shirts, dress pants, etc..., it works great for me at least. I don't usually have a problem with wrinkling. I just take a shirt and fold it in half lengthwise and then roll tightly and put it in.

I also like the space saver bags. I used them on my last trip and they were a life saver...just be careful with weight if you're flying.

Archived